E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > How much time for a clutch install on an xi?

11-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

How much time for a clutch install on an xi?

For those of you who have done it, how much time should it take to change the oem clutch for an ACT one? Asking because mine started to slip and I'm considering an upgrade. I don't want to get screwed by the shop that will be doing the install.
Thanks
      11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Why ACT? Jut asking cause mine started slipping really bad two weeks ago and now hardly slips at all. So I may or may not be looking at a new clutch as well
      11-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I just did this 3 days ago....bought the act street clutch from topgearsolutions for 470 i believe....then went to bmw and bought all the necessary bolts, pivot ball, throw bearing, pilot bearing, and it all came to 260 for a hassle free install.....i brought it to lee myles transmission which i believe is a franchise...they told me it was an 8 hour install...about 800 bucks...it ended up being 965 all together jsut for labor.....they said they had to send the flywheel out to be cut or resurfaced....but now ive put about 100 miles on the car and it still has a shudder going into 1st or reverse....especially uphill its hard to get going...you got to give it alot of gas.....i called the shop to bring it back on saturday but of course their first excuse is it could be a defective clutch...next he said it coul;d be becaause we didnt replace the flywheel....and when i called bmw for a proice on the flywheel they told me 1140...which is insane...and bmw said they wouldnt cut or resurface any dual masss flywheel...they would replace them....dont know what to take fromn all this....but i need a solution. maybe an aftermarket flywheel but now i gotta pay another 900 to install...craziness. i was better off doing it from the jump....nnow a 1700 dollar job is gonna cost another 2k....so 3700 all together just to fix a clutch....might as well had an automatic rfebuilt or replaced..i wanna cry....anybody have any advice
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoB1 View Post
I just did this 3 days ago....bought the act street clutch from topgearsolutions for 470 i believe....then went to bmw and bought all the necessary bolts, pivot ball, throw bearing, pilot bearing, and it all came to 260 for a hassle free install.....i brought it to lee myles transmission which i believe is a franchise...they told me it was an 8 hour install...about 800 bucks...it ended up being 965 all together jsut for labor.....they said they had to send the flywheel out to be cut or resurfaced....but now ive put about 100 miles on the car and it still has a shudder going into 1st or reverse....especially uphill its hard to get going...you got to give it alot of gas.....i called the shop to bring it back on saturday but of course their first excuse is it could be a defective clutch...next he said it coul;d be becaause we didnt replace the flywheel....and when i called bmw for a proice on the flywheel they told me 1140...which is insane...and bmw said they wouldnt cut or resurface any dual masss flywheel...they would replace them....dont know what to take fromn all this....but i need a solution. maybe an aftermarket flywheel but now i gotta pay another 900 to install...craziness. i was better off doing it from the jump....nnow a 1700 dollar job is gonna cost another 2k....so 3700 all together just to fix a clutch....might as well had an automatic rfebuilt or replaced..i wanna cry....anybody have any advice
Wow...that sucks...
      11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
Wow...that sucks...
Yeah, I guess I should just have BMW do it...
      12-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
ronin_pdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m4

Horse power freaks told me $1400 total with clutch. I have n55 so the n54 clutch will work just if anyone wants to know. The only different is the throw out bearing and 3 gaskets that's it. I going with clutch master for $758
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin335xi View Post
Horse power freaks told me $1400 total with clutch. I have n55 so the n54 clutch will work just if anyone wants to know. The only different is the throw out bearing and 3 gaskets that's it. I going with clutch master for $758
1400 for what? Act + flywheel? Labor?
      12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
ronin_pdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
1400 for what? Act + flywheel? Labor?
Yes, they told me clutch and labor $1400. I wouldn't go with lighten flywheel because you could run into turbo lag on these motors that's what I was told. but its up to you. I would talk to Eric@horespowerfreaks.com. Also people are having problems with ACT on slipping after two weeks. I would go with clutchmaster or HPF. HPF is more money but they will warranty theirs and the clutch peddle feels more like factory.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin335xi View Post
Yes, they told me clutch and labor $1400. I wouldn't go with lighten flywheel because you could run into turbo lag on these motors that's what I was told. but its up to you. I would talk to Eric@horespowerfreaks.com. Also people are having problems with ACT on slipping after two weeks. I would go with clutchmaster or HPF. HPF is more money but they will warranty theirs and the clutch peddle feels more like factory.
Ok I see! Thanks!
1400 is not that bad