E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > SOS call system failure

02-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Kal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
SOS call system failure

After ringing BMW assist and hanging up on them I now get the message SOS call system failure everytime i start my car Now I can't use the assist option as its greyed out.

I have done a searched and found a few recall bulletins but they dont seem to be for the UK. My local garage is saying there arent any for the e92.

Has anyone had this problem?

Maybe a coincidence but a few times when driving I get the message boot open even thought I haven't touched it. On two occasions it was open!

Last edited by Kal; 02-17-2009 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You upset them and they cancelled your subscription ;-)

I had that error previously, turned out to be a bluetooth issue with my phone and it "interfering" with the SOS Call feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
coodem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M335d

I had the same issue. Got the warning. So decided to shut down and restart, 20 min later I heard this voice from the speakers, syaing Fire, rescue or emergency. I was so confused, I had no idea who I was talking to. They told me to hang up, to which I replied I had no idea how to, so they hung up. After that my system froze on the GPS position screen

The car was sent in, they did a software update and all been fine since
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Hmm so the SOS services have the ability to crash idrive remotely.....
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Kal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies.

I turned off my bluetooth on phone and found it to have the same problem.

Its booked in next week for two days so hopefully they can find the fault without charging me

After some research I found:

Quote:
I spoke with a large BMW garage in Germany and they were extremely helpful. They said the message most likely relates to an issue with the bluetooth connectivity and that I needed to remove my mobile from the iDrive and re-connect and phew, it was indeed the issue.

So, for the record, if you get such a message (SOS Call System Failure!) and it additionally messes up your iDrive, action the following steps:

1. Depress the CD eject, DVD eject and CD volume knob simultaneously until the iDrive screen blanks out.
2. After iDrive reinitialisation, remove your bluetooth mobile from the iDrive menu
3. Switch off, not sure it's necessary but that's what I did.
3. Switch back on and re-config your mobile back into the iDrive.
Quote:
SUBJECT
Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Message

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA609 (Navigation) up to 8/07 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) up to 8/07 production

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP ( Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) and Navigation

(SA609) up to 9/07 production

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) up to 8/07 production

SITUATION
An erroneous check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed. The BMW Assist™ system functions normally.

KOMBI Fault Code: A54 (Alive Phone) stored in fault memory when using DIS V51 or higher.

CAUSE
Software error in the RAD2 or CCC.

PROCEDURE

Verify the customer complaint. Make sure the customer's complaint is not related to SI B84 17 07 (SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU). Refer to SI B84 17 07 for any of the complaints below:
The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist™ phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.
Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth® enabled handset that previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.
RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.
CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.
Perform a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
Work through any Telematics Control Unit (TCU) and MOST-bus communication faults. Diagnose and repair as necessary.
or this

SI B 84 17 07
Communication Systems September 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 17 07 dated August 2007.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

SITUATION
A check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist™ phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.
Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth® enable handset which previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.
RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.
CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.
CAUSE

TCU Hardware failure.
MOST-bus communication issue.
Incompatible handset paired to the vehicle.
PROCEDURE

Duplicate the complaint.
Does the customer have a Bluetooth handset paired to the vehicle?
If no, proceed to step 3.
If yes, obtain the following information:
Manufacturer of the handset
Handset model number
Software number
Does the problem only occur when a handset is paired to the vehicle?
Note: Pairing on an incompatible handset can have adverse affects. Please refer to the 'Compatible Handset Information' section of this bulletin for more information.

Check the BMW Assist account status on DCSnet. The BMW Assist services expiration date and the TCU activation status can be checked on DCSnet under Service/Vehicle History Inquiry. Refer to SI B02 01 06 (Updated DCSnet Vehicle History Inquiry information on BMW Assist) for more information.
If the customer has an active BMW Assist services account, test the BMW Assist services following the information outlined in 'Testing of BMW Assist Services' section of this bulletin.
Perform a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
Is the TCU identified when performing a short test?
Yes, proceed to step 6.
No, are any other MOST-bus modules identified?
Yes, check power, ground and the MOST-bus at the TCU.
No, perform a MOST-bus system analysis.
Work through any MOST-bus communication faults. Diagnose and repair as necessary.
Check the MOST bus splice point for connection problems.
Check the MOST-bus optical connection. E.g. were the OPS/OPPS head is connected.
If anything was retrofitted on the MOST-bus (E.g. CDC, i-Pod, S-DARS, etc.) check the connections at the module that was retrofitted.
If you can not duplicate the customer complaint and there are no MOST-bus communication faults, refer to SI B84 16 07 (Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Messages).
If the DISplus/GT1 cannot communicate with the TCU, power and ground are OK at the TCU and the MOST-bus communication is OK; the TCU should be replaced. Proceed to step 9.
TCU REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

It is NOT necessary to obtain a Part Replacement Authorization (TeileClearing) for this specific issue. Refer to the Warranty section of this bulletin for more details. Additional information can be found in SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth & CPT9000 Phone Systems).
Refer to TIS (RA 84 11...) for the TCU replacement procedure.
Before installing the new TCU, remove one copy of the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) label and place it on the repair order for reference during warranty claim entry. You will be asked for the new TCU "ESN" when submitting a claim via DCSnet. Refer to SI B01 10 05 for more details.

The second ESN label of the TCU should be affixed over the existing label in the Owner's Manual insert (P/N 01 49 0 157 963).

Complete the TCU installation
Using Progman V26.01.00 or higher, program the complete vehicle. Refer to SI B09 05 01 "Coding, Individualization and Programming", Procedure A.
Initialize BMW Assist following the procedure starting at step 16.
Not entire bulletins but enough to help in search.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
SIB841707

There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) published in July 08, concerning SOS call malfunction.

It does mention that 'non-approved' bluetooth phones can have an 'adverse effect' on the SOS service (which I think is actually cr*p), so you're best removing any pairings before taking the car in to the dealer, for it to be checked for TCU failure / MOST bus problems.

More info here.

Although the info is related to the US vehicles, the same information is relevant to European cars.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
threethirty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006

My SOS warning light used to come on all the time. BMW said it was a known issue and they reprogrammed something or other. No issues since.
      02-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Kal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, hopefully local garage will sort it next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
bribro335iA
Rep
Drives: 335iA monaco blue sedan cwp pp

Just had same problem of SOS non-connection warning and bluetooth ceasing to function. Simple solution as mentioned above was delete bluetooth BMW connection on phone and in car delete the BB 8830 connection, and then go through the procedure to reinstall and pair from scratch. Worked again right away. Car was 2006 325 e90. Cheers, BB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coodem View Post
I They told me to hang up, to which I replied I had no idea how to,

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Mine has this at the moment. Bluetooth won't even turn on, and 6FL isn't working either.

The dealer has told me it's a harware failure and they are putting a new module in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
juice13
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335 E90

Quote:
No, perform a MOST-bus system analysis.
Work through any MOST-bus communication faults. Diagnose and repair as necessary.
Check the MOST bus splice point for connection problems.
Check the MOST-bus optical connection. E.g. were the OPS/OPPS head is connected.
If anything was retrofitted on the MOST-bus (E.g. CDC, i-Pod, S-DARS, etc.) check the connections at the module that was retrofitted.

Uh oh, I just noticed my BMW assist is now inactive. I did get the MOST OEM iPod module installed a couple of months ago.

With non-iDrive cars is much less obvious that the SOS isn't working.

Bluetooth with iPhone still works fine. And I'm afraid if given the choice between iPod and emergency services, I'd choose iPod.

-Jonathan
'07 335i E90 blue/brown/stock/stick/sport/stuff

Last edited by juice13; 04-16-2010 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
cmich325i
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Also having this SOS inactive failure on my 06 330i. The car is a 7/06 prod. date and the phone/bluetooth connection just randomly stopped working. It shows up on the radio, but it won't let you select it or play around with the bluetooth to delete the old phone or anything.

Any idea how the dealer is handling these TSBs out of warranty for this specific problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Get in the boot and remove the battery cover.
Yank off the power - red terminal and leave for few minutes.
Restore power and start the car.
Worked for me
      11-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
cmich325i
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

This does in fact work. I didn't try to re-pair the phone with the car. Were you having any problems after you did this?

Im just wondering if its going to do this every week or if this was just a one time thing or what...

Also, any chance that there is some sort of software update for it?

Last edited by cmich325i; 11-05-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #16
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmich325i View Post
This does in fact work. I didn't try to re-pair the phone with the car. Were you having any problems after you did this?

Im just wondering if its going to do this every week or if this was just a one time thing or what...

Also, any chance that there is some sort of software update for it?
Nope.
I only had an issue right after the HPFP software update recently.
It only did it once.
That was weeks ago, and some 3k miles.

02-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #17
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw E91 facelifted by me

hi

can you please help me on this error

SOS call System failure

what do they do on bmw dealer

can you ask them

i have the same problem and they want to replace TCU for a new one.

best regards
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosalbertogui View Post
hi

can you please help me on this error

SOS call System failure

what do they do on bmw dealer

can you ask them

i have the same problem and they want to replace TCU for a new one.

best regards

I started to have this problem as well recently. My BMW Assist subscription doesn't end until April 2013. I have it at the dealership and they are doing a courtesy inspection at the moment... but I plan to try these two methods once I get the car back.

1) Remove all iphones and test SOS
2) Remove positive battery cable for 10 minutes (then reconnect) and test SOS.

Currently I'm waiting on the dealer to get back to me with the MIN/MDN/ESN numbers that should be in the car. They are saying they can't connect to the TCU module.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I started to have this problem as well recently. My BMW Assist subscription doesn't end until April 2013. I have it at the dealership and they are doing a courtesy inspection at the moment... but I plan to try these two methods once I get the car back.

1) Remove all iphones and test SOS
2) Remove positive battery cable for 10 minutes (then reconnect) and test SOS.

Currently I'm waiting on the dealer to get back to me with the MIN/MDN/ESN numbers that should be in the car. They are saying they can't connect to the TCU module.

already done it and problem continues
SOS call System failure
i have asked bmw to deleted the error and after 10 mins SOS call System failure again !!!!!!

someone call help ???

Last edited by carlosalbertogui; 02-27-2013 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #20
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep

how to remove SOS for good
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Mine was fixed after i picked it up from the dealership. I went into the radio MENU --> ASSIST --> SETUP option and it went from 0% --> 20% --> 50% --> 70% --> complete

Hit the SOS button and all features were working again. Dealer said they didn't do anything but they did request new numbers from the assist folks (They never coded my car). When I contacted my SA the next day to give him the good news that it was all working... he said that he assumes that the BMW assist folks must have screwed up something on their end and have resolved it.

Have you considered asking a local coder guy to see what might be the issue??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosalbertogui View Post
how to remove SOS for good
remove the BMW assist from VO and code car. if this doesnt help addd +TELD to VO and recode TCUM.
Appreciate 0