E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Insurance claim question

09-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
PSUBALL10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Insurance claim question

Took a golf ball to the roof of my car last week. Took it in to try and have it removed with PDR but they said the dent was where the inner reinforcement for the sunroof was. Body shop quoted me $1200 to fix the dent the conventional way and repaint the roof. Now my question would this fall under a comprehensive or collision claim? Would be be considered some sort of vandalism?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Why don't you call your insurance agent? Thats why you pay them all that money. I'd imagine comp, doubt it'd be vandalism. Guess it all depends if your car was parked at a golf course/driving range or if it was in your driveway and kids threw a golf ball at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
PSUBALL10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just talked to my agent and it does fall under comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Any chance you can have the golf course/driving range/putt putt owner's insurance pay for it? They usually have insurance just for that purpose - despite whatever disclaimers they may have on their property/parking lot.

I hit a parking block at a 7-eleven and 7-eleven's insurance paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUBALL10 View Post
Just talked to my agent and it does fall under comprehensive.
That kind of thing is the reason I have a split deductible. My collision is 500 but my comprehensive is only 50. Just FYI, in many cases it only costs about 30 bucks every 6 months for the difference between a 500 and a 50 dollar comprehensive. Between windshield replacement and a lot of other random things falling under that, it's so worth it. If yours is the same as your collision, eat it this time but look into changing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post

Wow, that surprises me. Good to know, at least it's something I could look into though I would think if I hit something, my insurance would cover it. For something like getting hit by a shopping cart (or golf ball) though, definitely worth looking into.
      09-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Quote:
Any chance you can have the golf course/driving range/putt putt owner's insurance pay for it? They usually have insurance just for that purpose - despite whatever disclaimers they may have on their property/parking lot.

Only problem is that it is hard to prove after the fact. If you reported it to them at the time of the incident, it would be more believable. But it doesn't hurt to try. They would have to have some insurance to cover the inevitable occurance. We had insurance for baseballs hitting cars when I was Little League president. But we had the owners put it through their own insurance first and then picked up what wasn't paid.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

BINGO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
That kind of thing is the reason I have a split deductible. My collision is 500 but my comprehensive is only 50. Just FYI, in many cases it only costs about 30 bucks every 6 months for the difference between a 500 and a 50 dollar comprehensive. Between windshield replacement and a lot of other random things falling under that, it's so worth it. If yours is the same as your collision, eat it this time but look into changing it.

Most people don't understand that a low deductible in the comp is just a few dollars a year and pays you back with the firsat broken windshield...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Most people don't understand that a low deductible in the comp is just a few dollars a year and pays you back with the firsat broken windshield...
Good to know... thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
togatown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S4

Definitely a comp claim.

I know a guy who lives in an apartment complex with assigned parking and there is a walnut tree in front of his spot. The tree kept dropping walnuts on the car and denting it so the guy complains to the landlord for another spot and he says no. So he puts it in to his insurance company and they pay under comp and now are trying to go after the guy who owns the building. They are trying to claim he is liable since he was made aware of the hazard. The guy wouldn't sign a new lease until he got a new spot either. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
PSUBALL10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tried this and i got the answer most courses around here give. They said it isnt their fault. They say when a golfer is on their course it is the responsibility of the golfer. Since no one came to the pro shop that day and said I hit a car, here is my info there was nothing they could do……

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
This is the reason I asked the question, my comprehensive deductible is $100 while my collision is $500
Appreciate 0