E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 Suspension Options?

04-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Arrow E92 Suspension Options?

Ok so after seen that no one has replied to my post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513983 about a good Suspension option for my E92, I would like to know if any Vendor here would recommend me a good setup for my E92, I got the Sport Suspension on my car but want to upgrade it to a better one, I would like to be able to feel in control and get a good response from the vehicle but also a smooth ride, I'm not tracking my car so I need it for every day street driving. Also changing duty station to Germany and want to do the upgrade here in the States cuz I know it will be cheaper to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
Ok so after seen that no one has replied to my post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513983 about a good Suspension option for my E92, I would like to know if any Vendor here would recommend me a good setup for my E92, I got the Sport Suspension on my car but want to upgrade it to a better one, I would like to be able to feel in control and get a good response from the vehicle but also a smooth ride, I'm not tracking my car so I need it for every day street driving. Also changing duty station to Germany and want to do the upgrade here in the States cuz I know it will be cheaper to do.
To know you're getting the best option for you the only real way is to drive various setups. It is the only way as 1 persons idea of comfort is not that of another. The same holds true for handling.

It doesn't matter how professional or knowledgeable or professional someone seems.

Your opinion is the one that matters and the only way to form that is to drive setups in environments that mot closely match yours.

With that, there are a lot of knowledgeable and professional people that may allow you to meet up and drive their cars. Some of the vendors could also suggest people/customers to contact for this.

Since you're in TX you should be able to find people at meet ups and through this post. Checkout your regional forum for meet ups.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
From what I have read, the Eibach systems seem to fit the bill. There is the Eibach Pro System which is matched shocks and springs. They also have the Pro System Plus which includes a sway bar as well. Ive yet to read a bad review and everyone claims great handling with exceptional ride.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
To know you're getting the best option for you the only real way is to drive various setups. It is the only way as 1 persons idea of comfort is not that of another. The same holds true for handling.

It doesn't matter how professional or knowledgeable or professional someone seems.

Your opinion is the one that matters and the only way to form that is to drive setups in environments that mot closely match yours.

With that, there are a lot of knowledgeable and professional people that may allow you to meet up and drive their cars. Some of the vendors could also suggest people/customers to contact for this.

Since you're in TX you should be able to find people at meet ups and through this post. Checkout your regional forum for meet ups.
True that I know there's a lot of get together in Austin! I'm deployed @ the moment and can't test drive any vehicle, I also want to order the parts now so they are ready at my place when I get back in June, since I'll be able to take vacation leave and do the upgrades at that time. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
From what I have read, the Eibach systems seem to fit the bill. There is the Eibach Pro System which is matched shocks and springs. They also have the Pro System Plus which includes a sway bar as well. Ive yet to read a bad review and everyone claims great handling with exceptional ride.
I'll take a look @ Eibach set up and read up on it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Call Harold at HP Autowerks

http://www.hpashop.com/category.sc?categoryId=172

Get one of his kits with the swift springs/shocks - either way, Harold will be a wealth of information, he does this for a living.

Get the stuff he recommends installed locally if you are not local to him.

Or, as Fraggy suggests... I haven't or read any bad posts on that stuff either.

I'd call Harold as the starting point.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Thanks Dafish I'll be doing that and see what he suggest.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I suggest making a list, in order of priority, if you can't drive various cars. Opinions are only opinions: mine, Harold's, a guy who has the Eibach system and so on.

I agree that you should call Harold - I purchased my system from him - but with clear objectives.

Prioritize these and add your own if needed:
  1. Comfort - I feel this is the most important aspect to consider. If you don't like driving your car on a day-to-day basis how valuable was the upgrade? Remember, one person's comfort is another's unreasonable ride.
  2. Ride height - This is important and I think you already covered it but you might not need or want coilovers if you're not looking for a really low ride. Dinan doesn't do coilovers or really low cars. I'm not saying Dinan is the end all but they accel at creating a very, very balanced car that doesn't sacrifice streetability.
  3. Handling - Would really consider where and how you're going to drive the car as this has a ton to do with what you buy: Are the roads you drive on really rough or smooth, how hard do you push in the corners, is a quick turn in more important than overall grip (see below)?
  4. Turn in - This is in relation to stiffer swaybars for better turn in as opposed to stiffer springs. You can effectively have a more comfortable car with great turn in but you can sacrifice some grip at all out cornering speeds
  5. Longevity - Dampers wear out and street oriented dampers might have better longevity
  6. Camber - This is a huge upgrade in handling, only second to tires. Dinan camber plates are fixed and I believe give -1.5 degrees of camber (we have approx. 0 degrees in stock suspension) in the front. Any more than that on the street is not great for wear or wandering when driving straight. I say Dinan because I don't think you get the metal to metal connection you do with the others so there is no added noise.
  7. Ease of installation - this is a cost consideration.

Use your list when talking to Harold or whoever you contact.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
I suggest making a list, in order of priority, if you can't drive various cars. Opinions are only opinions: mine, Harold's, a guy who has the Eibach system and so on.

I agree that you should call Harold - I purchased my system from him - but with clear objectives.

Prioritize these and add your own if needed:
  1. Comfort - I feel this is the most important aspect to consider. If you don't like driving your car on a day-to-day basis how valuable was the upgrade? Remember, one person's comfort is another's unreasonable ride.
  2. Ride height - This is important and I think you already covered it but you might not need or want coilovers if you're not looking for a really low ride. Dinan doesn't do coilovers or really low cars. I'm not saying Dinan is the end all but they accel at creating a very, very balanced car that doesn't sacrifice streetability.
  3. Handling - Would really consider where and how you're going to drive the car as this has a ton to do with what you buy: Are the roads you drive on really rough or smooth, how hard do you push in the corners, is a quick turn in more important than overall grip (see below)?
  4. Turn in - This is in relation to stiffer swaybars for better turn in as opposed to stiffer springs. You can effectively have a more comfortable car with great turn in but you can sacrifice some grip at all out cornering speeds
  5. Longevity - Dampers wear out and street oriented dampers might have better longevity
  6. Camber - This is a huge upgrade in handling, only second to tires. Dinan camber plates are fixed and I believe give -1.5 degrees of camber (we have approx. 0 degrees in stock suspension) in the front. Any more than that on the street is not great for wear or wandering when driving straight. I say Dinan because I don't think you get the metal to metal connection you do with the others so there is no added noise.
  7. Ease of installation - this is a cost consideration.

Use your list when talking to Harold or whoever you contact.
Thanks, this is very good info and makes it much easier for me to know how to do the upgrades. I drive this car when I'm not deployed every day whereever I go. I know I want it to be comfortable for sure and be able to corner and come out of corners @ a good speed with less worries, This is why I'm replacing as much of the suspension as possible, I already got rid off the runflats and have performance summer tires on it, and as I mentioned before I'll be moving to Germany and I know their roads are better than ours and I would like to have the upgrades done and be able to enjoy their roads with the best setup possible. I also need to know how much I can lower the car with 19" on.
Appreciate 0