E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Maintenance Program Upgrade- Worth it?

11-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
jh49tpro
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e90

Maintenance Program Upgrade- Worth it?

My 08 335xi CPO has 49,600 miles on it and nearing the end of its maintenance free warranty (ends at 50k), my dealer emailed me asking If I would be interested in extending my maintenance free warranty for $2095 plus tax for up to 100,000 miles just like the CPO. This covers all the wear and tear (brakes, oil service, spark plugs, belt, wipers..etc). The dealer sent me an excel spreadsheet itemizing the costs without the warranty which came to an estimated $4,775.00 over the next 50k miles compared to just paying the warranty of $2095.00.

My real question is whether or not this is really worth it? Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I just take it to a trusted shop for maintenance work and take it only to BMW for the all the crap the CPO covers? THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

There is also a time limit on that extended maintenance plan. Will you put 50K miles in the next 2-3 years?

I spent ~$1400 in maintenance between 50K and 100K miles between dealer, Indy, and DIY.

Half of that was brakes & a brake fluid flush with OEM parts at the INDY. (excluding rotors - they mic'd mine and I was well within specs, so they weren't changed).

The other half were oil changes, air & cabin filter(s), wipers, etc., and CBS directed inspections that I performed myself.

To get the full value of the maintenance plan:
1) Put 50K miles on the car
2) Full brake job that includes rotors
3) ~60K & ~90K (CBS) inspections.
4) Set of plugs
5) More than 1 pair of wipers
5) All filters + oil changes

Then with loaner car(s) and complimentary car wash you might break even*.

(* that is paying full up dealer rates and taking advantage of dealer conveniences. If all those listed services were performed with Indy or DIY, you would still be under $2K)

Last edited by Bcube; 11-17-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Ask the dealer if he will guarantee, in writing, that they will be performing that $5K worth of estimated work within the program plan (two year limit). If he balks, you will know for yourself that it is only a sales pitch.

Realistically, you will get two oil changes and a tune up (plugs & air-filter) and maybe a brake service. Not really $2k worth of work.

Another detail you dealer will not tell you is that technicians don't get paid full book time on BMW paid maintenance plans so they cut corners to make up their money. Naturally, techs prefer working on cars when the customer foots the bill because the they get paid the max allowable time for a job.

Also, many dealers are offering $400 off the full price. So if you really think the maintenance is worth it, negotiate the price (don't pay sticker).

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
jh49tpro
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e90

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.

Right now I am putting on about 20-25k miles a year so I will definitely hit that 100k within the next 2 years or at least be close.

I am starting to think it is not worth it, there is a very credible garage in my town that does great work and will just get the maintenance done there. I plan on keeping detailed records of the service but is there any risk to my CPO warranty if the garage does the work? In other words, can they come back and tell me my warranty is void if they do brakes and rotors (or is that a stupid question? haha)

Also, another concern are the major fixes but to my understanding that is covered under the CPO..For example, I have had to take it in twice for two fixes..1. Amp replacement (bass was going in and out) and 2. Vanos Seloniod (sp?) after an engine malfunction prompt. If these were to go again, or something similar..lets say the navigation screen sh*ts out...these would still be covered under CPO?

Again, thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
phillyfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 6AT

I just bought my CPO and they offered it to me. I considered it since the brakes were included, but it just didn't seem to make sense. I'll do my own oil changes, can change my own wipers, blah blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

335i? - Get the extended WARRANTY plan not the maintenance plan.
Appreciate 0