E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d oil leak at boost hose

02-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #243
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez99BMW335d View Post
hi can you please tell me the part numbers of the seals you bought. Thanks.
Top seal - 11618506786
Bottom seal - 11617791470

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...88&hg=11&fg=40

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #244
Rez99BMW335d
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Thank you for help. Git the Wales today and the garage is doing the work tomorrow. Hope it stops the problem. will let yob know how I get On with it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #245
Team Green2
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Hey guys just to let you know 4 months down the line after replacing the boost hose seals still no leak (spot on). Just wondering when I changed the boost hose a round bit of plastic fell off about the size of cup coaster from what I think to be from the under tray. Can't find out for the life of me where it goes so I left it off found it the other day in the garage and had a closer look and it seemed to have from what I can see an Audi badge on it, Realy strange ?
      03-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #246
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

TG2 - can you post a pic of the plastic?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #247
minus13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Isn't there another underlying problem here causing the collection of oil to begin with? I mean, great - we seal the charge line at both ends. But won't this oil sit in the FMIC and charge air line instead of leaking now or is it just being sucked up into to the turbo, burned off, and pushed out the tail pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #248
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I was recently added to this list of 335d's with oil leaks. My 2009 (US Spec) has 26k miles. I hadn't noticed any oil loss or oil leaks, but when I brought my car in to the dealer for rear brakes they noticed the leak while doing an inspection of the car. They initially said they were not sure where the leak was coming from, so they started doing a series of checks to find the culprit. I immediately went to the internet and found this thread, and called them up to ask if it seemed to be around the boost pipe. They invited me to come take a look for myself. Sure enough, it looked EXACTLY like what was being described in this thread. So I politely told them what I had found while searching, though I admit they seemed to roll their eyes at me for mentioning anything I had found online.

They said that what they had found, was the PCV system was 5x the normal pressure level, and were going to replace the entire PCV system.

So here is a description of what they did:

Quote:
26118: Crankcase breather system defective, allowing excess oil to enter intake system. Interrogated fault memory, found no related faults. Removed intercooler for inspection, found excess oil in charged air pipe. Submitted TC case, as per TC, removed exhaust turbocharger for inspection (11 65 548). Found source of oil leak not from turbochargers. As per TC, checked crankcase pressure (11 99 000). Found crankcase pressure above specs at 1.022BAR. As per TC, replaced cylinder head cover (11 12 601). Reassembled engine, road tested and rechecked, ok at this time. TC case 50537231.
They did NOT replace the boost hose. I will be keeping an eye on that area regularly from now on...making sure no new oil shows up. I'm not sure if their discovery here is truly the solution to this issue, or whether or not it will prevent leaks in the future, but I certainly figured it was worth sharing on here....just in case it helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #249
minus13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
I was recently added to this list of 335d's with oil leaks. My 2009 (US Spec) has 26k miles. I hadn't noticed any oil loss or oil leaks, but when I brought my car in to the dealer for rear brakes they noticed the leak while doing an inspection of the car. They initially said they were not sure where the leak was coming from, so they started doing a series of checks to find the culprit. I immediately went to the internet and found this thread, and called them up to ask if it seemed to be around the boost pipe. They invited me to come take a look for myself. Sure enough, it looked EXACTLY like what was being described in this thread. So I politely told them what I had found while searching, though I admit they seemed to roll their eyes at me for mentioning anything I had found online.

They said that what they had found, was the PCV system was 5x the normal pressure level, and were going to replace the entire PCV system.

So here is a description of what they did:

They did NOT replace the boost hose. I will be keeping an eye on that area regularly from now on...making sure no new oil shows up. I'm not sure if their discovery here is truly the solution to this issue, or whether or not it will prevent leaks in the future, but I certainly figured it was worth sharing on here....just in case it helps.
Just what I feared.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #250
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus13 View Post
Just what I feared.
to be fair though, my car was running and driving wonderfully, despite the problem. I averaged 31MPG in my daily commute of mixed, brisk, driving and regularly got 34-37MPG on trips, traveling at 80-100MPH.

Since I have gotten my car back the mileage is no better or worse. It did "feel" a tad quicker in the low end, but that might be because I had a loaner 328i for 8 days (yes it took them 8 days to finish my car), and the 328i is a torqueless dog of a car, with an awful transmission....I may have started to get used to it.

Yesterday I took my airbox off and took a peek at the area in question. It appears they didn't even bother to wipe the oil off AT ALL. I wiped the boost pipe down a bit, so at least I'll be able to tell if the problem returns.

Here is a pic of the pipe before I wiped it off.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #251
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

12 months ago I took my red boost hose off & resealed it using some black gasket sealant. Today I have been doing a few jobs on the car ( black grills, spraying mesh in bumper) & the bumper was off. I had loads of oil from a leaking turbo oil pipe which is now fixed so me being me wanted to clean most of the oil off so any new oil leak that occurrs in the future will be easier to spot. So the bumpers off, the trays are off & a full can of gunk later the engine bay is looking good again.

Whilst the front end is off I thought I would take off the intercooler & check for oil in it & clean etc but the gasket sealant put on a year ago was holding the red pipe to the intercooler like shit to a blanket. It turns out that the intercooler had about a tablespoon full of oil in it but wether that the total since new ( done 100K now) or wether that is a continuous ammount I dont know. Expected it to be far more oily & realising it was pretty clean I wished I had left it alone as the seals on the charge pipe were so good. In fact I cant get the red hose off the intercooler as the connection just from the sealant is so strong.

I reused my original charge pipe & seals & the sealant saved me a few quid last time round & I will seal it up again using the same method.

3 hour job I didnt really want but at least I have piece of mind.

Ache all over & my back is playin up .......... could never do this for a living
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #252
Gra
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

My average MPG since collecting my '57' plate AUC 335d a month or so back has been 34.1 (I reset it when I picked the car up) and I actually drive quite carefully. I've had my foot down a few times but I certainly don't race around.

Does 34.1 mpg sound a little on the low side? I drive it to and from work, a 35 mile round trip each day which is mainly national speed limit roads apart from the first and last few miles. I'm tempted to go and grab a torch and take a look to see if I have this problem too. No issues with performance btw, just seems my mpg is a bit low for my style of driving.

I'll go take a look later....just in case....I assume I'll be able to see this without removing the engine cover?
      03-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #253
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gra View Post
My average MPG since collecting my '57' plate AUC 335d a month or so back has been 34.1 (I reset it when I picked the car up) and I actually drive quite carefully. I've had my foot down a few times but I certainly don't race around.

Does 34.1 mpg sound a little on the low side? I drive it to and from work, a 35 mile round trip each day which is mainly national speed limit roads apart from the first and last few miles. I'm tempted to go and grab a torch and take a look to see if I have this problem too. No issues with performance btw, just seems my mpg is a bit low for my style of driving.

I'll go take a look later....just in case....I assume I'll be able to see this without removing the engine cover?
try the following (I got 57mpg & yes my computer is acurate & been checked).

Reasonably empty dual carridgeway / motorway set the cruise control to 61mph (or very similar) once cruising reset the fuel average & try for about 10 miles & see what you get. As I said I got 57mpg. Cant be that much wrong with mine. It's remapped & no DPF) The road was faily level or slightly "againt me" overall.

In saying that my average at the mo is 33 but its all been town work since I last filled up. The mpg varies greatly with these.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #254
ram33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gra View Post

i get about 29-30 ave according to comp. i dont drive that carefully though. about 30mile round trip to work with half on motorway
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #255
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Had my Turbo boost pipe replaced again under the 2 year parts warranty I've got with it. Thats the 3rd one in 2 yrs now. They say if it goes again that the warranty will have expired but they will ask BMW for some goodwill.....think I'll let my indy just replace the seals and clean it up
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #256
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I've noticed a very slight amount of oil on mine .. will this go any way to explain this you think ? --> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695977
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #257
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I replaced mine today , quite good service from Worcester Rybrook .. ordered 10:50 , delivered by 2. I took the pipe home , jacked the car up and fitted it within an hour. My car is an 06 but the hose that came off was stamped 08 which is probably the reason why i didnt see much evidence of oil leaking , so this is hose number 3 which was freshly stamped 3/12 .
I am a bit disappointed to be honest the old hose felt really loose so was hoping for a nice tight fit with the new hose but it didn't turn out , the new hose still feels loose around the turbo outlet , the fit into the intercooler is better. On the road the low end performance is definitely better ,slightly earlier pick up on the small turbo ..but alas the mid range judder I hoped to cure is still evident
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #258
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

It is known for them to seal under pressure so I would not worry too much it about moving about. I am on my 2nd pipe as well and within 4 months oil has started to form aond the pipe again, I cant believe after spending £160 odd for the pipe its leaking again. I have taken mine to a garage and they said to change to the oil breather pipe as this could cause the leak.

So I have ordered a new oil breather pipe (there are 2 types), on the older cars is the loo roll type which gets blocked very easily and causes the red pipe to leak, Later on BMW replaced it with a vortex type which doesnt have a filter inside and they say this is lifetime. But the mechanic (ex BMW) said this is not be true and worthwhile renewing these as they can get blocked as well
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #259
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn
It is known for them to seal under pressure so I would not worry too much it about moving about. I am on my 2nd pipe as well and within 4 months oil has started to form aond the pipe again, I cant believe after spending £160 odd for the pipe its leaking again. I have taken mine to a garage and they said to change to the oil breather pipe as this could cause the leak.

So I have ordered a new oil breather pipe (there are 2 types), on the older cars is the loo roll type which gets blocked very easily and causes the red pipe to leak, Later on BMW replaced it with a vortex type which doesnt have a filter inside and they say this is lifetime. But the mechanic (ex BMW) said this is not be true and worthwhile renewing these as they can get blocked as well
interesting, be good to know how this works out long term
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #260
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn

Mistryn, would you mind taking some pictures when you do this? Of you could also open up/break the old pipe too, that would be handy to see what is inside it. I thought they were hollow. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #261
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I will try my best but still waiting to get the breather pipe from my mechanic as he has ordered it in for me

When I took the top cover off the breather it did indeed look hollow and empty so will be interesting to take it apart further
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #262
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Im still on the original hose with no evidence of leaking that i can see

I assume some just dont suffer from the problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #263
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Im still on the original hose with no evidence of leaking that i can see

I assume some just dont suffer from the problem?
Which type of oil breather do yo have do you know?
Also have you had that replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #264
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Which type of oil breather do yo have do you know?
Also have you had that replaced?
It hasn't been replaced since new and it looks just like the pipe in the pic above. A red rubber looking pipe.
Appreciate 0