E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Xenon life span?

04-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Xenon life span?

My car never sees the automatic mode of the light switch.
When i bought the car i realized that every time i pulled into the garage (or started the engine in the garage) the xenons would ignite.
I figured that's 2 extra on/off cycles each day.

I also use my parking lights, drls, and fogs when it's cloudy or rainy. I see no use for the headlights since they don't light up the street much, but being seen by other cars is obviously important.

Am i irrational for rationing my xenons? Ever since i was a kid i always tried to save stuff. Don't get me wrong, i wasn't poor or anything, both my parents had doctorates. For example, i would save my nice hotwheels and play with my crappy ones. I eventually stopped playing with hotwheels and never got the chance to play with the Viper or the Porsche hotwheel.

I apparently also think about saving my brake pads. When i'm having fun i could care less about gas or tires, but i guess i do think about efficient driving techniques for the boring old tuesday drive to work/school.

Let the therapy session begin.
Why do i think about saving stuff so often? No answer is too ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

i wouldnt worry? how long are you planning on keeping your car? might want to consider getting it cpo'd(if thats possible) or getting an extended warranty
      04-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
i wouldnt worry? how long are you planning on keeping your car? might want to consider getting it cpo'd(if thats possible) or getting an extended warranty
i have CPO, and i plan on keeping the car forever. When i'm out of school (hopefully med school) i'll be driving my e90 until i get on my feet which will be a couple of years. After that i'll need a car to tune and use as a daily, or possibly a track car.

Do xenons die because of the number of hours on or how many times they're turned on?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I do the same thing. The extra cycles will dramatically shorten their lifespan. You will eventually spend hundreds or even $1k for the luxury of saving yourself a few minutes of switch turning.

Same with brakes, too. I make it a game to see how much speed I can scrub off without using them. Better mpg that way, too. For the last 5000 miles or so, my service indicator indicates I won't need new ones in front for 90k miles :P That's driving mostly in town, too.

Last edited by carve; 04-08-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

If you want to save $, don't drive a BMW.

However, nothing wrong with trying to get value out of your dollar.

Kind of like me trying to fill up when gas price is down. When I can save more $ by just driving slower!

Btw, I think we have similar taste in cars. I have a loaded SGM 135! Not unlike your 3.

Last edited by dtwyim; 04-08-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

I do the exact same thing! lol. I think it's pointless when people have lights on during the day they serve no purpose. I do use sidelights though when it starts getting dark. Also, I think every time I put them on/off they are just getting wasted. I also hate replacing bulbs just cant be bothered. Anyway, at least I'm not alone now lol.
      04-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I do the same thing with the lights since i occasionally park in a garage. Pretty sure I read somewhere it's 1) not good to turn the light on until after the salts have cooled (about 5 minutes) and 2) the lights have a limited number of fires, with each dimming ever so slightly.
      04-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
i do the same thing but also i like to show off the LED rings so i dont turn on the HID until it is dark enough
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I do the same thing. The extra cycles will dramatically shorten their lifespan. You will eventually spend hundreds or even $1k for the luxury of saving yourself a few minutes of switch turning.

Same with brakes, too. I make it a game to see how much speed I can scrub off without using them. Better mpg that way, too. For the last 5000 miles or so, my service indicator indicates I won't need new ones in front for 90k miles :P That's driving mostly in town, too.
that's awesome haha, my front brakes say around 50k after they're replaced, and the backs say 30k after they get replaced. I figure it's because of that "e-diff" using the back brakes all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
If you want to save $, don't drive a BMW.

However, nothing wrong with trying to get value out of your dollar.

Kind of like me trying to fill up when gas price is down. When I can save more $ by just driving slower!

Btw, I think we have similar taste in cars. I have a loaded SGM 135! Not unlike your 3.
If i was trying to save money i wouldn't go on 40 mile canyon drives, but i agree about getting the most for my dollar. Why waste brakes/gas on mundane driving when they can be better spent.
SGM is the best color! Wish my car was a 6 speed like your 135i, but the steptronic is tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I do the exact same thing! lol. I think it's pointless when people have lights on during the day they serve no purpose. I do use sidelights though when it starts getting dark. Also, I think every time I put them on/off they are just getting wasted. I also hate replacing bulbs just cant be bothered. Anyway, at least I'm not alone now lol.
I don't sweat it with the side lights or drls, when they burn out i'll replace them with HIDs (white ones), and tail lights are really cheap and easy to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverII View Post
i do the same thing but also i like to show off the LED rings so i dont turn on the HID until it is dark enough
My friend got a ticket near sunset because he was trying out his new angel eyes on his e46. $200 ticket and traffic school meant he was $290 out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Well im 75K miles and 4 years into mine and they still work. Well see what happens. I got backed into by a truck and he cracked one of my housings and sheared off an attachment point.

Im replacing the housings and debating not replacing the ballast to save some cash

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Miles and years don't mean anything to xenon life span. Cycles are the main thing.

Normally, I might only need to turn my lights on 3x a week. If I left it in auto, it would ignite twice a day when I start and return to my garage, and twice more in the parking garage at work. That would be 27 cycles a week. That would deliver about 11% the lifespan of controlling them manually. They should last the life of the car this way.
Appreciate 0