E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

06-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #485
fuzion23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Coupe Space Grey

Got my car back after one day at the dealer. Got the new refurb 933 pump and reflash the ecu. I don't notice the degrade in performance. I do drive a 6MT.
      06-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #486
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Some folks have tried to rebuild/mod the OE pump and some have tried to produce a new HPFP. To date no one has been successful that I am aware of.
They tried the same thing with the mousetrap. BMW may be reluctant to fix the problem (it is a part that lists for $280, so you can't expect them to just give them away), but they're not stupid. Probably the 933 is going to solve most people's HPFP issues (that doesn't include other problems), so no need imho to overengineer something that's already been overengineered...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #487
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23 View Post
Got my car back after one day at the dealer. Got the new refurb 933 pump and reflash the ecu. I don't notice the degrade in performance. I do drive a 6MT.
My hunch is you're going to be good to go now....if not, let us know. To date, still don't think there have been any 933 (or 943?) failures. Just a pain to get some/many dealerships to replace the pump at the onset of the failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #488
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Do you know off the top of your head where I can order the pump? The reason I ask is cause I'm in Germany and I damn sure am not gonna order it here if I can get it for $280 there. Would Tischer have it?

I just want to get the damn thing here and have it. Then at least I won't be so damn stressed all the time about this. I have a guy down the road from me that could do the install easy for cheap. I don't wanna mess with the dealer here for this issue if I don't have too...
      06-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #489
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Update from SA early last night. Told me original codes related to HPFP, codes after software update indicated problem with injectors or wastegates. Regional engineer from BMW is supposed to be here today, my SA is still pushing them to replace the HPFP based on original errors, may need injectors replaced also.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #490
fuzion23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My hunch is you're going to be good to go now....if not, let us know. To date, still don't think there have been any 933 (or 943?) failures. Just a pain to get some/many dealerships to replace the pump at the onset of the failure.

I will keep you guys updated. Car starts nicely now and I do hearing the priming sound when I unlock my doors.
      06-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #491
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Update from SA early last night. Told me original codes related to HPFP, codes after software update indicated problem with injectors or wastegates. Regional engineer from BMW is supposed to be here today, my SA is still pushing them to replace the HPFP based on original errors, may need injectors replaced also.
The matters discussed in this thread seem to indicate that the fuel delivery system used in the N54 and likely N55 engines has design flaws that cause cumulative deterioration of the system's components. The failure of the high pressure pump is the problem that has the greatest impact on the car's performance, but a number of the car owners whose HPFP has been replaced reported that some of their injectors triggered error codes shortly before or after the new or remanufactured pump has been installed. In other words, it is not unusual to experience injector and high pressure pump problems at nearly the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #492
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Thanks for that info. My SA is trying to get them to replace the HPFP and injectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #493
jwcfs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
07 335i (e90) Replaced HPFP, injectors, and plugs 17k. Going in thursday for a second go at 30k now… Have been lightly tuned since 18k. Nothing really fun about going thru it but what more could you ask from BMW they produce a car that can go 170+ mph and included maint.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #494
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had my injectors replaced at 17000 miles. Have had HPFP symptoms for over a year but they tell me it is fine. Wastegates are due for replacement and as a precautionary measuree the trubos and exhaust manifold will be done at the same time. The car is doggin badly right now so I am loooking forward to gettting it fixed.
This all seems to tie together somehow. The fuek system and the turbos along with the pump. If you look back to when the car was first introduced people had fuel pump problems within the fir4-6 moths. The NHTSA even got involved at that time but since the car was new it was not as common a problem so nothing wasa really done. It was about this time when the infamous 29.2 came out to supposedlyu fix a wastegate rattle noise. If you think about how much time effort research and development goes into the software development it seems kind of odd that BMW woudl go through so much for a rattle. I beleive that 29.2 was developed to ease the strain on the fuel pumps and make them last as long as possible to avoid a recall and the ensuing media fiasco. That software mess dragged uot for as long as they could but owners caught on and they had to do some dancing. That is when they came up with the exrended fuel pump warranty. Again they dodge the recall bullet. With the warranty they only have to deal with the ones that actually break, a recall would be ALL of them, broken or not. So they go with the odds and take the warranty extrension hoping that enough of the pumps survive and noone gets hurt due to fuel pump faioing at a bad time.
So you see, there was a second fuel pump on the grassy knoll by the book depository...
      06-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #495
alloy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08E93 335i

Quote:
One day? The dealer where my E93 is has had it since last Thursday June 17 to replace the hpfp. They call me almost every afternoon saying it's still being worked on.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #496
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy View Post
One day? The dealer where my E93 is has had it since last Thursday June 17 to replace the hpfp. They call me almost every afternoon saying it's still being worked on.
I think he meant to say you're (not yours is) still getting worked on. It is a one afternoon job.

Edit: I don't mean to be offensive. IMHO, your SA is not being honest, somethings up. I would elevate and crack the whip on the Service Manager. That's what I did in my case when I found out they didn't thorougly test my car for HPFP failure, ie ~just~ the software update. I let my SM know that I was contacting BMWNA. That got results, real quick.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 06-24-2010 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Edit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #497
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

SA called back late yesterday, said he finally got them to agree to replace the HPFP as well as some other item associated (forget exactly what it was, not injectors though). Should have it back this afternoon. If I have any more problems, I'm going to make sure I get the same SA. (Jason at San Antonio BMW)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #498
quantuz
zzz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 e93 335i

Quote:
My dealer had my E93 since June 1... Just got it back an hour ago... It's June 24th - 3.5 weeks! My CAS (computer) needed to replaced as it kept crashing (one week to order), when that was done, then the HPFP problem was then confirmed and replaced to the 933. Good thing they gave me a 323i for the that time. Nonetheless, a month in the summer without your E93 is frustrating considering summer is short up north!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #499
fuzion23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. They need to keep it overnight to run the test. Basically my car died in the middle of the intersection. I wait for a while then try to start it up. It would turn on and I can drive for two blocks and died again. Start it up and died. So got it towed to the dealer and they called me the next day and ask me what happen and they ran some test and found out it was the hpfp. Replaced it with 933 and software update. I hope this the real fix. I would hate it if my car died on the freeway.
      06-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #500
alloy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08E93 335i

Got my E93 back. They tested and found that the high pressure pump and the low pressure sensor had failed. The SA said it took a week to make a case to bmwna and get the replacement parts.

Anyway, they replaced with the 933 pump and it starts and drives like when I first got her.

I told the SA about the rattling in back. The tech said it's "normal vehicle operation" of the turbos when the car is first started. True dat. However, I told the SA that it happens after a lengthy drive. But time will tell.

It was nice to be able to put the top down and drive her again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #501
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I would hate it if my car died on the freeway.
That brings back memories, happened to me 3X, once in heavy commuter traffic. You actually get used to it and when it happens, instinct wins over nerves. I coasted onto the shoulder, hit the start button and got back on the highway. Anyone who doesn't own a N54 would think that it's absolutely crazy to go through these experiences. But knock on wood my car has been good over 8 wks. now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #502
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just dropped mine off at the dealership today for long cranks. They found codes in the ecu and are upgrading the software and need to keep it overnight for testing. Too bad I told them that i bought the car somewhere else so they gave me a camry loaner instead of the nice 335i coupe next to it. The girl told me they are reserved for customers who bought the car there.

Update:
The dealership updated the software to 37.2.0.4, only time will tell now.

Last edited by zeenon53; 06-29-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #503
gcha79
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

You guys know that most of you are eligible for lemon law buyback, right? I loved my 335i, but not knowing when it was going to die again is just plain crazy.

Having your car die on you counts as catastrophic failure. California law requires the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle after (2)+ instances with catastrophic failures.

I know you guys love your cars. I really liked my BMW and I don't know what car to buy now. BMW makes awesome cars, but I am afraid of buying another death trap. I am just hoping that the engine change for the new 2011 335i fixes any problems with the HPFP.

I just want you guys to know your options. Good luck. Reading about how some of you guys are willing to put up with 4-5 HPFP changes and accept your cars dying on you on the freeway is crazy.

(f.y.i. BMW Customer Service over in New Jersey are freak'n assholes. They will treat the lemon buyback as a end of lease sale and make you replace the tires, etc. Make sure you deal the best you can, or even get a lawyer to help you out.)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #504
bmwsmoke
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcha79 View Post
You guys know that most of you are eligible for lemon law buyback, right? I loved my 335i, but not knowing when it was going to die again is just plain crazy.

Having your car die on you counts as catastrophic failure. California law requires the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle after (2)+ instances with catastrophic failures.

I know you guys love your cars. I really liked my BMW and I don't know what car to buy now. BMW makes awesome cars, but I am afraid of buying another death trap. I am just hoping that the engine change for the new 2011 335i fixes any problems with the HPFP.

I just want you guys to know your options. Good luck. Reading about how some of you guys are willing to put up with 4-5 HPFP changes and accept your cars dying on you on the freeway is crazy.

(f.y.i. BMW Customer Service over in New Jersey are freak'n assholes. They will treat the lemon buyback as a end of lease sale and make you replace the tires, etc. Make sure you deal the best you can, or even get a lawyer to help you out.)

Gcha79,

If you don't mind sharing with us what is was like to do a lemon buyback. I may be going through one shortly. My 335i has been serviced for the HPFP 4 Xs already. What did they give you a hard time about? Good Luck with the new purchase. What cars are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #505
gcha79
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

BMWsmoke, sorry to hear about your problems and good luck with the buyback. I will explain the process I went through a bit to help you guys out.

First of all, I am not a lawyer and I am not giving any legal advise. Any legal issues you may have should be handled by a trained professional.

When you call BMW North America customer service, they will refer you to a specific geographical rep. Have all your service records ready and make sure you explain how dangerous this reoccurring problem is and you demand BMW to do a lemon buyback. (Read up on the law. It is different from state to state.)

BMW will take a look at your service records and get back to you within several days. They will offer you the set amount required of them by state law. There is a set formula for the amount. (Look up the formula and verify the amount in both the email and contract they send you. Watch out, my rep tried to dick me over by writing a different amount in the contract from the email.)

Before you sign and send anything, you must know BMW treats this as a lease buyback. Any damage to the car must be repaired (reasonable), and tires must be runflats with acceptable tread (dick move). Make sure you guys argue for vehicle registration fees and also try to get compensation for replacing tires (if needed) before signing!

BMW North America Customer Service treat the buyback as pure business. They do not care if this is your 2nd or 3rd BMW, if you plan to buy another BMW, or that they sold you a car that could have potentially killed you. Customer service doesn't give a rat's ass about you. At minimum get the required lemon buyback amount and registration fees. Get a lawyer if you are uncomfortable with contracts and talking with BMW directly.

Good luck! It blows my mind that BMW is willing to alienate loyal customers, but I guess they are more concerned with short term gains than looking at the long term.

(BMWsmoke, if you have more question for me feel free to email me @ gcha79@hotmail.com. Please remember that I am not giving legal advise and not a lawyer and my experience with BMW may not have been representative of the typical service provided by the company.)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #506
Texas Ex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Blk Spt Pre Nav

My car is in the shop right now with a bad fuel pump. BMWNA has asked the dealer to run additional tests on my car as they are having a high incident of fuel pumps going bad (no kidding!). SA says he's waiting on BMWNA to get them clearance and they will fix the car.

I wonder how close we are to the recall. I hope this new fuel pump will be the solution!
Appreciate 0