E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Helix Match PP 82DSP installed

06-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Helix Match PP 82DSP installed

8x 55 watts RMS and built in 56 bit DSP...what's not to love?
Attached Images

iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Installed behind which system?

How did you assign the channels ?
and did you use any aftermarket speakers?
In your car or another?(since you already have a list
for your car which is most impressive)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
HiFi system. A and B are tweeters, C and D are Midranges, E and F are under-seats. Jehnert Flatline kit.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In your car or another?(since you already have a list
for your car which is most impressive)
This is a customer's car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

55w to jehnerts? Isn't that way under driven?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

hrrm...

So, if I had the Door-board setup from Jehnert,
What would the pro/con of using this to do something like
A,C to the front left, and B,D to the front right and leave E & F to run the rear deck pair of stock speakers?

Vs my current plan of:
ARC KS125.4 driving the entire front stage left/right after getting it's signals from a Helix DSP and leaving the rear deck speakers intact running off of the deck power.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3
55w to jehnerts? Isn't that way under driven?
Depends how loud you listen to your stereo system, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway
hrrm...

A,C to the front left, and B,D to the front right and leave E & F to run the rear deck pair of stock speakers?

Vs my current plan of:
ARC KS125.4 driving the entire front stage left/right after getting it's signals from a Helix DSP and leaving the rear deck speakers intact running off of the deck power.
Rear speakers? Was that a joke?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Wongway
Captain
Rep

lol, a 'sort' of joke.

I want a small amount getting to the rear speakers, just to retain stock sound/features/gongs/etc. I just don't want them amped up and pulling sound back behind me.

My current plan was simply to tap the front channels, and amp only the fronts with a 4 channel ARC KS125.4 leaving the rears unamped and stock, and probably faded forward a bit.

Your Helix Match though has 8 channels to work with. I wondered about sending something back to those rear deck speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hrrm...

Vs my current plan of:
I would do A/B to tweeters, C/D to Midranges, E/F to pairs of midbasses, and G/H to the other pairs of midbasses. Then you'll have your midbasses running at two ohms (yes, it's stable) for more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Wouldn't that throw off the array? As I understood it, the doorboard midbasses are wired together as basically one speaker per side? (at least how an amplifier would see it)

The tweeters and midranges both get fed off the crossover built into the system, so I'm assuming, bypass the crossover?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Doesn't that leave you two channels unused.

Doesn't that leave you two channels unused?
Can channels be bridged?
How does it sound say as opposed to just a JL 600/6.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can channels be bridged?
I just laid out how all 8 channels are used (A-H). Yes, bridging is possible. I don't use or like JL,so I can't compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't that throw off the array? As I understood it, the doorboard midbasses are wired together as basically one speaker per side? (at least how an amplifier would see it)

The tweeters and midranges both get fed off the crossover built into the system, so I'm assuming, bypass the crossover?
You can wire the door boards any way that you like if you're running active.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You said 8 what about G and H ?

response in statement 3
Did they go to the stock rears?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
response in statement 3
Did they go to the stock rears?
In this install, I never said we used g/h. I was explaining to Wong how he can use the product for his situation. Side note: g/h is 7/8, so how are you missing that it's 8?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Yeah, don't pay much attention to my use of terminology. I have the ideas down, but don't convey them well, heh.

This does make me wonder if I can simply just use this instead of getting a separate DSP/Amp.

How customizable is the DSP setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Can channels be bridged?
Yes, you can bridge channels down. My plans were to take a 4 channel amp like the ARC KS125.4 and bridge that down to 2 channels for the front stage. I figured something like that would be more than ample to drive something like the Jehnert Door Board setup.

This product looks really appealing to me because if it's as small as it looks, I might be able to get away with putting it where most people install their DSP under the trunk next to the satellite radio unit and never bother with that corner stock amp location. (I'm afraid as the car ages, I'll develop a clog in the sunroof drain and end up flooding that corner compartment. Had it happen in my X3 before so...)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

The unit is pretty customizable. The unit is less than 8" x 8" and fits in factory amp location as well as the location under trunk floor that a lot of people use. 8 channels however you want to use them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Wongway
Captain
Rep

I haven't delved into specs yet, but assuming it's on the same level of a dsp as the other Helix DSP products? (Time alignment, individual EQ for each channel, etc?)

So far, on the surface, all of this seems great. I suppose the only drawback I can think of potential failure with a lack of easy replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't delved into specs yet, but assuming it's on the same level of a dsp as the other Helix DSP products? (Time alignment, individual EQ for each channel, etc?)

So far, on the surface, all of this seems great. I suppose the only drawback I can think of potential failure with a lack of easy replacement.
Same DSP as the helix. What do you mean by lack of replacement?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
... What do you mean by lack of replacement?
Well, I mean, in the more traditional sense, if my DSP went bad, things might sound horrible, but playable, just get another DSP with minimal wiring changes (probably). If my amp went bad, well, I could just simply drop another amp in pretty readily.

I would imagine a device like this isn't exactly commonly stocked. So if this went bad, I'm basically out two devices at once. Not easily fixed in the short term. Probably less easily diagnosed too. So I'm guessing it's the only negative I could think of with this.

Either way, the Helix DSP should probably be quality (if the reputation of their past products is any indication) and having the amp all built in with only an 8"x8" footprint sounds awfully tempting to try for an easily hidden install...
Appreciate 0