E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328i ECU software tuning finally available!!

03-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
seungykim
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

After dyno, and after 14 days of driving, if I don't like the result, I can always uninstall the software and go back to the factory setting, with all money refunded. So, I guess I can at least give that a try.
And yes, it's not like the old days, and if it was that easy, BMW or Dinan would have come out with their own long time ago.
I am only doing this since I had a great experience with my 2000 E39 540i. I ended up asking powerchip to tune it aggressively after the first installation, and they custom tuned the app just for me. I thought the result was good, but I have no dyno to back up my statement.
Hopefully after Monday, I will have some evidence to share with you all. I will be the first guinea pig so you can make judgment on what you see.
Wish me luck!
ZHP Shifter, Short Throw Shifter, M3 Sway bars
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

OK, enough indulgence in this nonsense, time to burst another bubble.

Since you hadn't bothered to search, here's a good thread summarizing the available chips, including powerchip, for the NA engines.

Chip ECU Flash Summary

What do all these chips have in common? fail.
      03-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
laperacfo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
ECU tuning is usually a waste of time and money on NA cars. You will get more hp and tq with bolt ons.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

This reminds me of my E36 days when you'd break your back for 5whp here or 5wtq there.... And then you looked over the fence at all the ricers and their turbo cars which would net 50+hp for mere change....

My, how things have changed with the 335.... I forget how shitty it was to try to extract power from NA engines.... But, man, there was soooooo much you could do.... Headers/exhaust/cams/M50 mani/OBD1 swap/rear diff/ECU tune when done with the hardware upgrades.... It got soooo expensive.... I did all the work myself on my M, and even with the money I spent just on parts, I probably could have bought a turbo kit.... But, I digress....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
ricers and their turbo cars which would net 50+hp for mere change....

I see a lot of m-tech cosmetic parts on non M cars around these forums too.....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #28
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post

I see a lot of m-tech cosmetic parts on non M cars around these forums too.....
I was using exaggeration to emphasize a point I was trying to make. I forget the literary term for it because I spent 7 years in the Marine Corps where my vocabulary was reduced to four words above four letters in length.

But congratulations for spotting the M-tech bits. Ya done good, kid.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #29
seungykim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
OK, enough indulgence in this nonsense, time to burst another bubble.

Since you hadn't bothered to search, here's a good thread summarizing the available chips, including powerchip, for the NA engines.

Chip ECU Flash Summary

What do all these chips have in common? fail.
Well, for your information, I have done much search with no success.
I have already visited the link you provided long time ago, and all of the links are either for turbo engines or 325/330. None of them has one for 328i. Plus, there's no mentioning of Powerchip in that link you provided.

I am not sure why you're so negative about something I would like to enjoy. If you don't like what you see, then just don't bother looking at it. There are many people, including me, who are interested in this stuff, and I just wanted to share the news with them. It's obvious you aren't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Sam Da Man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SPACE GRAY '07 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungykim View Post
I have already visited the link you provided long time ago, and all of the links are either for turbo engines or 325/330. None of them has one for 328i. Plus, there's no mentioning of Powerchip in that link you provided.

I am not sure why you're so negative about something I would like to enjoy. If you don't like what you see, then just don't bother looking at it. There are many people, including me, who are interested in this stuff, and I just wanted to share the news with them. It's obvious you aren't one of them.
it is quite obvious that these other members have good knowledge about ECU flash, especially used on non turbo vehicles. They are entitled to their opinions even if it is negative. I mean i have a 328i and thankful that you could share this information but i too have doubts we would see much gains. You say there is a return period, so that is cool that you want to try it out regardless, just let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #31
seungykim
Rep

Yeah, I don't mean to disrespect other people's opinions. Like I said previously, I will be the guinea pig, so you guys make your own decision after you see the result.
I think it all comes down to personal preference. If I like what I see even with the expense of software update cost, then I think it's worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #32
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laperacfo View Post
ECU tuning is usually a waste of time and money on NA cars. You will get more hp and tq with bolt ons.
Just a clarification.

ECU tuning is the last thing you do AFTER the bolt ons. For MTs, ECU tuning affects fuel mapping and timing (shift points for AT). If a tuned ECU is the only thing you do, you are wasting your money.

If you upgrade intake, manifold, header back exhaust, port, polish, bore, compression and injectors, an upgraded ECU will make everything work together.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
canucklion
Canada
Rep

No negativity towards you intended.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up for what has been in development for 3+ years now. Whole bunch of tuners claiming to having chips for 325/330 a while back... got us nothing. No concrete dyno results, no concrete gain.

I appreciate you trying it out and reporting back the results nonetheless. I hope it really works this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungykim View Post

03-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #34
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperacfo View Post
That really depends.. maybe it's not so great on BMWs, but in the honda world, ecu tuning can make significant improvements in power. Most of that is because of good rom editing software (like Hondata), that can be purchased and tuned by anyone, instead of getting it from a shop who sends the ecu out to some obscure place, and waits for it to come back reprogrammed.

sadly, nothing like this exists for bmw's yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #35
seungykim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
No negativity towards you intended.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up for what has been in development for 3+ years now. Whole bunch of tuners claiming to having chips for 325/330 a while back... got us nothing. No concrete dyno results, no concrete gain.

I appreciate you trying it out and reporting back the results nonetheless. I hope it really works this time around.
I am sorry if I sounded a bit too harsh on your previous statement.
I didn't know this many people would contribute to this thread. I hope I am not causing too much trouble by posting the original message to the forum.

And yes, I understand the ECU tuning without any further modifications such as exhaust, header, CAI, etc, may be a waste of money. Since powerchip is giving me the first opportunity to try it out, I guess I will try it. If, however, it turns out nothing special, I will definitely ask for full money refund.

This will be my first dyno test as well, so overall I am very curious of what the software update will bring. I just hope that I don't sound like a rice racer who wants to do all ugly stuffs just to make the car go fast for stupid reasons. I hope what i try to do to my car is to make the overall daily driving a bit more enjoyable than what it is.

I know it is a blasphemy. I am driving a BMW, the ultimate driving machine, so I really shouldn't want anything more .

See you guys on Monday night!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #36
canucklion
Canada
Rep

seungykim, come on now, you're not causing any problem posting here. Your willingness to try out a mod and share the results with us is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to seeing the results next week, GL.
      03-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #37
MediaHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: everyday

looking forward to the 329i or 329.5i haha
      03-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #38
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

sounds like something to consider, depending on fuel consumption etc...
after all, many buy intake / exhaust (bmw perf ones) for about the same price for less gains (albeit sound gains)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #39
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

seungykim, as long as you are posting before and after dynos to get REAL data, you aren't wasting anyone's time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #40
zerox_guru
Super User!!
Philippines
Rep
Drives: JB E90/Gixxer

^^+1 on that.. keep us posted..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #41
Sam Da Man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SPACE GRAY '07 328i Coupe

now this sounds better
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #42
Gjonaj_328i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Barbera Red Metallic

OMG Finaly they come out with an ecu upgrade .. but fill me in on the details guys how much horsepower will you gain how much does it cost and what website do you purchase it at ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
seungykim
Rep

I did not get the ECU software...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=4027291
Man, I wanna cry...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #44
canucklion
Canada
Rep

that is really unprofessional that you had to call them to find out the their guy was not going to show up for the appointment. What? the guy suddenly fell ill on the morning of the appointment? :thumbsdown: