E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Right Front Turn signal failure - Bulb ok

10-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
JohnPenz
John08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Black SM/Black

Right Front Turn signal failure - Bulb ok

Right front turn signal is not working. There are burn marks on the bulb socket contact. Swapping left side right side sockets and the problem remains on the right side. The dealer said there was arching between the contact on the bulb socket and the contact on the headlight housing which the bulb screws into. The contact on the headlight housing has also burnt and is distorted so it no longer makes contact with the with the bulb socket.
Their recommended solution is to replace the headlight assembly, $850.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is that the only solution aside from signaling by hand? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

sandpaper it clean then bend back so that it makes contact. if that failed i would build up some solder on the contact and some on the part of the bulb it contacts so they are able to touch. no way would i spend 800+ on a new housing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
JohnPenz
John08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Black SM/Black

Thanks. Nice car and C130. I did as you suggested plus added a little bulb grease to the contacts and it's working again. I didn't have to add solder. One thing I noticed for anyone else looking at this, when I inserted the bulb socket into the housing which is an insert and turn to a stop process, like putting on a gas cap, I had to rotate it back a little to make contact so there is a small sweet spot where contact is made. I'll see if it stays in place over heavy bumps. If not, I'll add solder.
Appreciate 0