E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > thoughts on the e92 ecu

02-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Question thoughts on the e92 ecu

right, i've been seriously contemplating getting the DMS remap for my 335d, which takes the car up to 338BHP and just short of 700nM or torque :rocks:

anyway, since the other side effect of this ecu mod is an extra 5-8MPG, there seems no logical reason to me why bmw didn't implement these changes themselves :

does anyone on here know about this kinda stuff? did bmw want to keep torque down to under 600 for handling reasons or because of tolerances of other components of the car (at the expence of a few mpg)? it seems to me that the boffins at bmw are gonna know their engines and ecu's better than anyone so how come some tuning company with a tiny fraction of the research capabilities of bmw can pump out such impressive figures? there has to be a reason...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

not to get too close to m3 territory!!!!!!!
________
Launch Box

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Cool Pure speculation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
not to get too close to m3 territory!!!!!!!
None of the tuned 335 have blown up yet. I am sure some poor soul will find the hard limits at some point. Who knows if the driveline can handle all that? Longevity will obviously be compromised at such heady levels. For the price you pay for the car, BMW is not going to build it to race car tolerances. Its intended to be a fun peppy daily driver, not a race car, so be conservative for your own good.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
None of the tuned 335 have blown up yet. I am sure some poor soul will find the hard limits at some point. Who knows if the driveline can handle all that? Longevity will obviously be compromised at such heady levels. For the price you pay for the car, BMW is not going to build it to race car tolerances. Its intended to be a fun peppy daily driver, not a race car, so be conservative for your own good.
OK mom.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
right, i've been seriously contemplating getting the DMS remap for my 335d, which takes the car up to 338BHP and just short of 700nM or torque :rocks:

anyway, since the other side effect of this ecu mod is an extra 5-8MPG, there seems no logical reason to me why bmw didn't implement these changes themselves :

does anyone on here know about this kinda stuff? did bmw want to keep torque down to under 600 for handling reasons or because of tolerances of other components of the car (at the expence of a few mpg)? it seems to me that the boffins at bmw are gonna know their engines and ecu's better than anyone so how come some tuning company with a tiny fraction of the research capabilities of bmw can pump out such impressive figures? there has to be a reason...
ZiM, most of the people on the forum are tuning the GAS version of the 335, not the diesel. I haven't seen any conversations about the diesel being tuned.

You have a couple of things in your favor. First, the engines are built stronger in a diesel because of the much higher compression ratio. Second, the automatic transmission in your car is much stronger than the 6HP19TU (aka 6HP21) in the 335i.

I am familiar with numerous people in the mid-west with turbo-diesel pickups (Dodge and Ford primarily) that install boost kits and make CRAZY horsepower and torque numbers from factory trucks. Be aware that any increase over stock power levels increases your likelihood of some type of failure. But, I have seen some of those pickups run at 50% over specs (or more) without any serious problems.

As to why BMW doesn't set the levels that high, I would say 1) to avoid having increased repairs (BMW owners don't want cars breaking) and 2) image.

The M3 is the high-performance image car, not the 3 series diesel.

Good luck with your toy!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

All car manufacturers run very conservative stock settings, BMW is no exception.

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0