E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Security deposit question

08-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Security deposit question

How many of you guys never got your security deposit back through no fault of your own, and how many of you guys successfully received your security deposit back without any hassles?

I paid about 1.5 months of the rent as security deposit 2.5 years ago and I'll be moving to a new place on the 18th, I've notified the landlord of the move on the 21st of last month. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay the partial rent of this month and hope the landlord will do the right thing and return my security deposit minus a reasonable cleaning fee or should I just leave it to him to take the rent out of the security deposit.

On my notice to vacate the apartment I did request that he take the rent out of the security deposit, but he replied asking that I pay the partial rent of the month without any mention to my security deposit. I just want to take care of this thing without too much trouble ie. taking him to small claims court.

What do you guys think I should do? How many of you had a honest landlord that returned your security deposit without any hassles?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
How many of you guys never got your security deposit back through no fault of your own, and how many of you guys successfully received your security deposit back without any hassles?

I paid about 1.5 months of the rent as security deposit 2.5 years ago and I'll be moving to a new place on the 18th, I've notified the landlord of the move on the 21st of last month. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay the partial rent of this month and hope the landlord will do the right thing and return my security deposit minus a reasonable cleaning fee or should I just leave it to him to take the rent out of the security deposit.

On my notice to vacate the apartment I did request that he take the rent out of the security deposit, but he replied asking that I pay the partial rent of the month without any mention to my security deposit. I just want to take care of this thing without too much trouble ie. taking him to small claims court.

What do you guys think I should do? How many of you had a honest landlord that returned your security deposit without any hassles?
Sounds like you're jumping to conclusions unless you have had past problems with the landlord that prompted the move.

I've not had a problem getting my deposits back because I ensured I left the apartment in as close to initial condition as possible to include an immaculate bath (clear drains, clean basins, unripped curtain, etc.), a clean kitchen, clean and empty refrigerator and freezer, clean carpet.

The landlord can deduct for abnormal wear and tear, repairs to walls where you've put a nail to hang a picture. I've been requested to repaint the walls in this case and it cost me less to do it myself than to have the landlord do it and take the cost out of the deposit. If you've neglected the carpet at the entry doors you're not likely to get much of the deposit back because the carpet has to be replaced. You might want to hire a professional carpet cleaner for them.

After you've vacated the apartment, you should go through it with the landlord and have him/her sign off that they are satisfied with the condition. That's right, get it in writing. Discuss any defects and try to come to a gentleman's agreement without hostilities. Only when push comes to shove do you begin to consider small claims court and then ONLY if you feel you have done everything possible to resolve the dispute amiably.

It may be best to separate the rent and deposit issues unless you're absolutely stretched for money. Pay the rent and deal with the deposit afterwards.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow! Thanks a lot! Will do as you suggested.

I researched a bit on the net regarding security deposits and such issues, all the stories people were telling made things sound pretty damn scary which is what got me worried.
Appreciate 0