E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Retrofitting FLA (High Beam Assistant) DIY

08-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #45
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

I did this on mine 07 e91. But sometimes high beam won't turn on even in a road without any car in front of me or road side lights. It's normal? I've locking on trc file and it's supposed to work above 50kms/h. Like i said, it's just sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #46
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 325d Touring

I have fitted the mirror, coded the car - but I need to hook up the canbus. The connectors in my FZd are different from the DIY video. I have 5 plugs - but none of the wires match the ones in the video. :/

How to know what wires to use, which ones are the canbus?

..I have rainsensor, can I not take canbus from the rainsensor?

Last edited by _TB_; 08-31-2015 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #47
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Another thing - I do not get any errormessages, neither in the kombi or in the CIC - when the LFA sensor is disconnected. Should i not get "LFA malfunction" or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #48
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

can I get a part number on the mirror/fla itself?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #49
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Is there a way to test if the coding is done right? I have the fla mirror, and I have coded the car. FLA shows in inpa, and I can communicate with it. No errors, but it does not work. Posing the stalk just gives me instant high beam. No icons in kombi, just instant high beam and the blue high beam icon.

I have adaptive xenon, rain sensor and auto dim rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #50
EditionMsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TB_ View Post
Is there a way to test if the coding is done right? I have the fla mirror, and I have coded the car. FLA shows in inpa, and I can communicate with it. No errors, but it does not work. Posing the stalk just gives me instant high beam. No icons in kombi, just instant high beam and the blue high beam icon.

I have adaptive xenon, rain sensor and auto dim rear view mirror.

Are your lights set to auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #51
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Little confused about the part number I need to order for this.

I have a 2009 e92 with Alarm, Homelink, Compass, Electrochome.

Does the whole mirror get replaced or do I just add a module onto it?

It looks like the housing is cheap, so if I can get the actual part this sounds like an easy and cool mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #52
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

whole mirror
      04-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #53
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Hi Jose

I find your video a little hard to follow.

Can you explain a little more clearly which housing goes where.
Which housing the long pointy pin joins to
Which housing the 2 standard size pins join to.

Sorry just finding it hard to understand what goes where...

EDIT: Posted a thread with my problems/fixes.
I suggest everyone to read it before attempting this.

The video in this DIY is very hard to follow and also misleading.
The green / orange pin DO NOT END UP IN THE POSITION THEY LOOK LIKE ON THIS VIDEO.
My mirror only registered with the car in INPA/NCS when i SWAPPED THEM AROUND.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post19796305

Last edited by fatjoez; 04-20-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #54
diezzler
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

My retrofit works after default coding the cas, nfrm, kombi, and fla module. Only complaint I have is that the high beams do not turn off when a car approaches, but they do turn off automatically at times when the road is bright or there are signs.. Any idea how to calibrate the sensor, or is there coding in the fla module to enable/disable tail lights vs headlights vs road conditions? I'll have to translate all the code, or play with different options to get it working right.
Any ideas? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #55
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I found it MUCH easier just to buy two pre-crimped BMW wires 61130005197 and just one terminal plug 6113837707. (The YouTube video listing has these incorrectly labeled BTW).

I ran the cables back up to the FZD using the straw trick (worked GREAT!) and just used a pair of small wire tap connectors to hook up the cables to the 14 pin plug at the FZD.

This made more sense than the diagram above and the original video. When I checked the available BMW wiring diagrams (what I could find), Bentey Manual and also the retrofit guide, it seems that unplugging the orange and brown wire at the FZD is not a good idea. At the very least PIN 1 is used for other functions and must remain connected.

The wire colors were not as obvious on my car and it took me a while to find the right plug at the FZD (hint: if you turn the FZD around with the wires pointed up, the right most 14 pin plug is what you are looking for). The colors on my wires were so muted that it was almost impossible to tell orange from brown.

I found the hardest part of all of this was putting the new mirror BACK on, and getting the cover in correctly.

For anyone trying this, removing the mirror involves TWISTING the mirror's mount as if you were moving the hands of a clock with the pivot at the wind screen. The mirror will fall out all by itself once past 40 degrees of movement.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #56
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezzler View Post
My retrofit works after default coding the cas, nfrm, kombi, and fla module. Only complaint I have is that the high beams do not turn off when a car approaches, but they do turn off automatically at times when the road is bright or there are signs.. Any idea how to calibrate the sensor, or is there coding in the fla module to enable/disable tail lights vs headlights vs road conditions? I'll have to translate all the code, or play with different options to get it working right.
Any ideas? Thanks
If you dump the FLA trace files and open them, you'll find all sorts of options for the camera... including color, sensitivity, etc.

Unfortunately I don't know how to interpret the items as some are a bit cryptic.

I have attached my FLA dump to this message.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_FLA.TXT (1.3 KB, 494 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #57
opjose
Major
Rep

Everything is not quite right....

I did the retrofit and FINALLY got the coding correct. I see the FLA module in INPA and I can dump the trace file in NCS Expert.

I also get the HBA icon on the instrument panel, and the instruments react as they should.

However my car is throwing codes related to the K-CAN bus and after clearing the codes I am getting:

E0C4 - K-Can Bus Cable Fault - High Beam
E2C4 - Bus Low error rate / CAN physical error
E2D4 - DTC unknown fault

Does this mean I have my camera wires reversed?

Thanks!

BTW: Your steps in this thread helped A LOT with the programming.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #58
opjose
Major
Rep

FLA Wiring

It is now working great!

The errors I was getting were due to a poor connection on one of the leads.

This cause different errors to appear in the diagnostics.

I rewired the splices to fix the poor connection, which corrected Can-Bus communication.

After clearing all of the codes the car displayed NO errors with the new mirror in place and active.

Some notes on the installation in no particular order:

• I’ve seen some people attempt to splice into the rain sensor wires to connect the FLA CanBus wires. This makes no sense and is likely in error, since the rain sensor (RLS) uses LIN-BUS not CAN-BUS to communicate with the FZD module.

• One you release the FZD from the roof, if you turn it completely around with the wiring at the top, the 14 pin plug will be on your right.

• You must leave wires 1 and 2 electrically connected to the FZD. Some diagrams and instructions imply that you remove the wires from the plug as a “no-splice” option.

• The “no-splice” diagram I borrowed elements of for my image below, is correct but can be misread to imply a cut or removal of existing wiring.

• High Beam Assist will NOT function until you have VO coded your modules AND performed the “reset to factory” of all related modules, e.g. Kombi, CAS, FRM, FLA, CIC, etc.

• You must activate high beam assist functions via coding, in the FRM, Kombi and CIC modules.

• Mirrors from other vehicles will work. I purchased a mirror from an E-bay seller that parted it out from a wreaked X5. It works perfectly on my 335xi.

• Look at the stamped numbers on the mirrors if pictures are available, to determine if it will be suitable for your vehicle.

• The part/wreak sellers often do not have the right part numbers or may misreport the models the mirror may work on.

• There are many different but electrically identical mirrors that may work for you, however some of the mounts vary in angle, due to differences in windscreens.

• If you search hard you will find sub $200.00 USD mirrors with all of the options you want.

• Plan on purchasing new mount/camera covers, which are inexpensive. On the mirrors I looked at almost all had the catches broken during removal.

• Some E-bay sellers show pictures of mirrors with a rats nest of wiring, that buyers seem to be avoiding. This is a good thing as it indicates the original clips are probably intact. You unclip the rats nest from the mirror anyway.

• To remove your old mirror TURN the base as if you were moving the hands of a clock around the pivot. After 30+ degrees of motion or more, the mirror will fall out by itself.

• It doesn’t matter which way you turn the mirror, clockwise or anti-clockwise. Either works. Likewise for re-installation.

• While you are coding, remove the “8S4 – Decoding Variable Light Distribution” and enable it via coding of the FRM. This makes HBA work even better.

Please excuse the duplication, I thought that this may help out anyone else that attempts the retrofit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #59
Angel 5
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328i US Spec

Hello,

Can you help me with the part number for my car?

My car is an 2008 E93 328i and the rear view mirror has Alarm, Homelink, Compass and Electrochrome.

And, just out of curiosity, the FLA option will work with CCC? I plan to do a NBT retrofit, but am I curious.

Last edited by Angel 5; 01-03-2017 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #60
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

FLA option will work with CCC, but E93 mirror should have key fob receiver option as well, so you need to search mirror only from E93
      01-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #61
Angel 5
Romania
Rep

OK, good to know about CCC. But why is the need for the key fob receiver? I don't have keyless entry/go system installed in my car.

Last edited by Angel 5; 01-03-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #62
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel 5 View Post
OK, good to know about CCC. But why is the need for the key fob receiver? I don't have keyless entry/go system installed in my car.
When you press a button on your fob, the FBD module receives it, and processes it. For non-convertibles, the FBD is integrated with the antenna module in the rear window. For convertibles, since the rear window may be in the trunk, it's integrated in the rear view mirror.

I had the same options as you in my original mirror. I found a FLA mirror from an E90 with FLA, homelink, and electrochromatic, and transferred the FBD module from my original mirror, over to the new mirror. I was able to transfer it over, but it wasn't a simple task. There was no way to transfer the compass over, so I simply gave up that option.

For anyone who decided to go this route, be careful when you remove the 'clown nose' from the original mirror. For one thing, you need to reuse the clown nose on the new mirror, because in order to contain the FBD, it's bigger. Plus, it's easy to damage the FBD, under the nose, if you're not careful. I know, because I knock a small component (small yellow block - a resistor or something), and had to solder it back on.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #63
Angel 5
Romania
Rep

That is a nice and good post, thank you! I will search for an E93 rear view mirror with FLA. Any help here identifying the correct P/N?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #64
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel 5 View Post
That is a nice and good post, thank you! I will search for an E93 rear view mirror with FLA. Any help here identifying the correct P/N?
You can use your VIN to check for the exact parts and superseding replacement parts at realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #65
AndreiPavel883
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley32 View Post
Hi this is the FLA file

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=E8wUwX5k

Edit: DONE!

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC nicht_aktiv

BI_XENON_BEI_LH aktiv

XENON_AL_VERBAUT aktiv

Hello,

The user smiley32 retrofitted HIGH BEAM ASSIST on halogen lamps. Is it possible to do that with the coding he posted ?
I have an E90 with halogen and I want to do the High Beam Assist retrofit and I wand to know if it works.

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #66
opjose
Major
Rep

I have not done this on a Halogen equipped car so my answer is not authoritative...

You will have to code the car for the FLA as previously noted, and also make the code changes he indicated.
Appreciate 0