E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LSDiff...

05-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #23
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
seems to me that you would have to have DSC programmed for LSD.
No not really. There are a number of people that went with to a LSD differential and their DSC didn't go out of wack with the new unit. I have a customer with a 2002 540i which didn't come with a LSD and he installed one just recently and worked great.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #24
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Ok, watch this 335i Hartge with the Quaife LSD and let me know whether it works well with our car or not.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...&page=1&Mode=B

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
Ok, watch this 335i Hartge with the Quaife LSD and let me know whether it works well with our car or not.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...&page=1&Mode=B

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT VIDEO!

Okay... assuming that Hartge didn't do anything to the stock traction control program in that car, than I am 100% convinced!

Does anybody know if Hartge altered the TC program?

If that is how it works with the stock traction control, I will be aiming to invest in an LSD for my 323i to improve my winter traction.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

Quote:
Does anybody know if Hartge altered the TC program?

If that is how it works with the stock traction control, I will be aiming to invest in an LSD for my 323i to improve my winter traction.

That car reviewed is Birds Hartge car. He told me earlier that it is stock traction control and his works fine too.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #27
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure? The DSC/DTC are made to work with an open-differential in our cars.

The LSD acts differently by design from an open differential which leads me to believe that when DSC acts, it will get unexpected results and this may not be good.

See the other post I put in the other LSD thread in the Under the Hood (NA-Engine) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications section.

Seems to me like the LSD and the traction control will end up fighting each other when traction is at a premium.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The shop that put my Quaife in said it acts the same as the BMW's with the standard LSD in it. They race BMW's and are a respected shop locally so i trust their experience. My car engine will still cut out if it can't get any traction from both wheels at the same time, just like the 1 wheel version.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #28
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike View Post
The shop that put my Quaife in said it acts the same as the BMW's with the standard LSD in it. They race BMW's and are a respected shop locally so i trust their experience. My car engine will still cut out if it can't get any traction from both wheels at the same time, just like the 1 wheel version.
so you find that your car's traction control behaves the same with the Qualife as it did with the stock diff?

Have you run into slippery roads with your qualife yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #29
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
so you find that your car's traction control behaves the same with the Qualife as it did with the stock diff?

Have you run into slippery roads with your qualife yet?
Yes, the traction control behaves the same but now it has two sides to rapidly correct, but the computer is faster. It rains a lot here in the winter so i've had mostly wet weather experience with the Quaife. The DSC/DTC with the Quaife will keep you pointed more time in the right direction, even under full throttle, better than without a Quaife. When i didn't have the Quaife my car back end would swing out in the wet/snow and stay out which isn't pointed in the right direction. It's a big improvement that everyone will love.

The car makes way better use of the power with the Quaife, especially in the wet. I guess it's like having 50 more hp if you look at it that way. I know my 1/4 mile time will be faster since dead stop starts are more productive with less spinning and more moving. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #30
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the traction control behaves the same but now it has two sides to rapidly correct, but the computer is faster. It rains a lot here in the winter so i've had mostly wet weather experience with the Quaife. The DSC/DTC with the Quaife will keep you pointed more time in the right direction, even under full throttle, better than without a Quaife. When i didn't have the Quaife my car back end would swing out in the wet/snow and stay out which isn't pointed in the right direction. It's a big improvement that everyone will love.

The car makes way better use of the power with the Quaife, especially in the wet. I guess it's like having 50 more hp if you look at it that way. I know my 1/4 mile time will be faster since dead stop starts are more productive with less spinning and more moving. :rocks:
Wow... that's really good! I want one!

Question for you... I am pretty mechanically inclined... is a DIY possible with the qualife LSD? I assume that one just has to pull the diff cover, half shafts, and gear set and then put in the qualife gear set and put back the half shafts and diff cover... any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #31
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow... that's really good! I want one!

Question for you... I am pretty mechanically inclined... is a DIY possible with the qualife LSD? I assume that one just has to pull the diff cover, half shafts, and gear set and then put in the qualife gear set and put back the half shafts and diff cover... any thoughts?
Maybe Autotech is able to provide people directions to install the Quaife if they want to do it by themselves. I have not seen any complete pdf on the 335i for doing this. I have seen other BMW install directions and there is some tricky stuff and special tools you need (like sockets, pullers, and presses).
Someone that has experience might chime in. I'm sure someone will post a DIY eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #32
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe Autotech is able to provide people directions to install the Quaife if they want to do it by themselves. I have not seen any complete pdf on the 335i for doing this. I have seen other BMW install directions and there is some tricky stuff and special tools you need (like sockets, pullers, and presses).
Someone that has experience might chime in. I'm sure someone will post a DIY eventually.
bmwmike... what was your experience like when getting your Qualife installed? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get 'er in there?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #33
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
bmwmike... what was your experience like when getting your Qualife installed? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get 'er in there?
The only issue was BMW or jobbers didn't have any bearings in stock at the time so he had to be real careful (and he was) with my bearings. It went as planned - 6.5 hours - and $657 including taxes and oil/supplies. It's best you do a diff oil change after about 2K km's
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #34
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The only issue was BMW or jobbers didn't have any bearings in stock at the time so he had to be real careful (and he was) with my bearings. It went as planned - 6.5 hours - and $657 including taxes and oil/supplies. It's best you do a diff oil change after about 2K km's
Awesome... so you took it to an independant mechanic and helped him out, then... that's cool. If I do this I will have to do the same here in Calgary because I know the stealerships are gonna be feakin' useless for this. Did you use redline oil for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #35
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

+1 on request for installation instructions from AutoTech or whomever.
Appreciate 0