E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 328i xDrive - VERY stiff steering

08-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
BlueSosa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

328i xDrive - VERY stiff steering

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2011 328i xDrive, and I'm loving the car, except for the fact that the steering is very very stiff. I know that BMWs are known for their stiff steering, but I'm finding this unusual.

As a test, I drove my friend's brand new M3, and his steering was 2-3x softer and easier. I'm not talking about tight/loose handling; I'm talking about how hard it is to physically turn the steering wheel.

Do you think there might be something wrong with my car? It's brand new, but should I bother bringing it in? Do you think they might have missed something during the preparation (power steering fluid, etc)? Or am I just being paranoid.

I love the car, but this aspect is annoying me.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSosa View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2011 328i xDrive, and I'm loving the car, except for the fact that the steering is very very stiff. I know that BMWs are known for their stiff steering, but I'm finding this unusual.

As a test, I drove my friend's brand new M3, and his steering was 2-3x softer and easier. I'm not talking about tight/loose handling; I'm talking about how hard it is to physically turn the steering wheel.

Do you think there might be something wrong with my car? It's brand new, but should I bother bringing it in? Do you think they might have missed something during the preparation (power steering fluid, etc)? Or am I just being paranoid.

I love the car, but this aspect is annoying me.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Nothing wrong with the car. All of the Xi models are like this due engine power through the front wheels. BMW steering is already known to be 'heavy' relatively, and the Xi models add on to that. You'll get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
BlueSosa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
Nothing wrong with the car. All of the Xi models are like this due engine power through the front wheels. BMW steering is already known to be 'heavy' relatively, and the Xi models add on to that. You'll get used to it.
Thanks, but is it normal to have such a HUGE difference between my friend's M3 and my 328Xi?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I have a 2010 328xi sedan and active steering is an extra option.
Since we have ordered locally in canada...the car didn't come with that option.

I think active steering suppose to help you out steering in either low (parking) or high (highway) speed.

I wasn't sure at the time since i thought power steering is already build in...how different is that.
I had a 330xi before and it had active steering...didn't think much about it.

But when driving in low speed...it is definitely tougher to steer the car...stiff as you call it.
Appreciate 0