E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Siri Integration for BMW Cars Just Announced by Apple

06-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
You still can't make me buy an iPhone, BMW!
damn straight! I've never owned an iPhone, never will.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
TheZift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Pre-LCI (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES View Post
Nothing is truly flawless, Apple is no exception but it is way better than having to integrate a crappy Android device to your car.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #47
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Apple products always look pretty and sounds fancy but do nothing special and just handcuff you. BMW needs to work on better android integration, have an app on the market that does all those features, android and maybe even ios users can install it and then they do not rely on apple. Nuance makes siri, already works with BMW and could easily integrate siri like functionality into idrive. Easy
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
Morning Hawk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru R2

BMW and Apple, could you ask for better?
This is great!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #49
conor.ireland360
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddict
Siri can you please turn on the M button?
Class love it haha
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #50
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This is all very exciting but before anyone gets too excited consider that this integration may very well require the following:
1. 2014 MY BMW
2. Premium Package
3. Technology Package
4. Siri Package
5. $250 snap-in adapter

It may end up being cheaper to hire a personal assistant named Siri to ride along with you everywhere you go. I am hoping this is not the case
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #51
Zyklonic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Now not only will you have another women's voice telling you directions, but they will compete. Siri yelling at your through the stereo, your wife yelling over her....kids crying in the back seat...then mommy and daddy fighting...and you wreck an M3 in Jamaica!

Apple! Think of the children!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #52
JS330E46
Rep
Drives: 330ci

I have it similar with my e46 330ci, I hold the 'talking head' button and it activates Siri through my phone and then through my bluetooth on my stock sound system

I do however have an aftermarket bluetooth module that replaces the 6 stacker
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #53
johnca
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 Slow CSL

Awesome BMW & Apple
      06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #54
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

So if I don't have an iPhone, that is a useless button in my car? :-/

This wouldn't make me buy an iPhone ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #55
Enter Faster
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

So awesome I'll never be bored
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #56
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

I have an iphone 4S, I love the phone but I NEVER use Siri. It was cool at the beginning as a novelty, but I even forget it (she?) is there. I also have a navigation system in my car and I never use it either. I use my iphone if I need directions to get somewhere.

As much as I love technology and its ability to make life easier and more efficient every day, I don't want my next car to be a smartphone on wheels. I don't want it to have internet access, I don't want it to talk back to me (or even worse understand me!), or be able to do anything else than provide an outstanding analog driving experience. I want it with a real manual transmission, a real clutch, hydraulic steering (the less assisted the better), and with the least amount of gizmos that distract me from the driving experience, and more importantly, every other thing on the road!!

I know I'm part of a very small minority, but I hope car manufacturers at least give us the option of choosing if you want all those things or not, instead of forcing us to have an iPad sticking out of the dash (even without navi) like on the F30.

Wishful thinking I know...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #57
agentm
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, X3

Bmw didn't pick Apple product because its crap. Obviously they did a research before choosing it. All those Apple hater, you don't have to order this option or use this option. Try not to make no sense of not driving a BMW because of this reason. Its still a great car!
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / KW v2 / RD Sport Rims 19' / Falken FK-452 tires / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / 3.91 Diff
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5 S/C
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #58
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

LOL - Just use one and see if the phone doesn't do it on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
You still can't make me buy an iPhone, BMW!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #59
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

This would be awesome if Siri ever worked properly. 9 times out of 10 she responds with "I am really sorry about this. I cannot take any requests right now." And I know I could blame it on my network, but this happens when I have 3G with full bars. I absolutely love my iPhone and Apple products. But Siri needs to get her life together.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #60
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I don't think you will say Siri. I think that will be too... Idk. I just don't think that's how it will work. I think it will work much like the apple headphones. If you hold the headphones button for 2-3sec then Siri pops up. So maybe if u tap the button your get the BMW voice. But if u hold the button u get Siri. Doesn't that make since?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #61
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24
This would be awesome if Siri ever worked properly. 9 times out of 10 she responds with "I am really sorry about this. I cannot take any requests right now." And I know I could blame it on my network, but this happens when I have 3G with full bars. I absolutely love my iPhone and Apple products. But Siri needs to get her life together.
+1 I feel this didn't happen on earlier apple products. Too much of a rush to keep the 100billion growing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #62
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I see few here already have set up Siri to work in BMW and also I have integrated Siri in my BMW. Question now is should BMW at least thank us for using our idea for their future profit.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #63
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
The article doesn't mention having to have an iPhone for Siri to be integrated into the car--that's the whole point! Not all BMW drivers necessarily own Apple products, and that's why Siri will be independently integrated into the car itself rather than you having to have a phone for it.
I don't think that's the case. I initially thought so as well, but building Siri directly into cars without the purchase of an Apple product would be a pretty radical departure for Apple. There was no hint of Apple *branding* in this announcement (nothing about an Apple logo on the trunk next to the propeller or the Chevy cross, and nothing along the lines of an "i750i", etc).

Also, Cook used the words "integrate better", which suggests that he's just talking about improvements along the lines of changes in the existing BMW Apps software, and similar software from the other makers that integrates with iOS when connected to an iPhone/iPad.
      06-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #64
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep

With regard to all the Android angst in this thread, I expect you'll start to see some love from the various manufacturers over the next 12-18 months. In fact I also expect to see Windows Phone integration eventually as well (though certainly not before Windows 8 comes out). Right now WinPhone is a total joke (in terms of market share), but there is some smart money on WinPhone trending towards legitimate market share in 2013/2014.

There's no up side to a manufacturer restricting its customers to Apple products without any kind of monetary incentive from Apple, and the only reason we've had virtual iExclusivity thus far is that the luxury brands like to be out in front with tech options. With even cheap cars getting basic integration now, and the luxury makers wanting to push forward even further, broader integration options are an obvious direction to go.
      06-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #65
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS View Post
As much as I love technology and its ability to make life easier and more efficient every day, I don't want my next car to be a smartphone on wheels. I don't want it to have internet access, I don't want it to talk back to me (or even worse understand me!), or be able to do anything else than provide an outstanding analog driving experience. I want it with a real manual transmission, a real clutch, hydraulic steering (the less assisted the better), and with the least amount of gizmos that distract me from the driving experience, and more importantly, every other thing on the road!!
This is something I keep wondering about as well. Car manufacturers seem thus far to be insulated from the ongoing news saga of "driving while texting/phoning/etc". But they're very much complicit in the problem, as are consumers themselves.

The thing is, I don't see that news trend growing lighter in 2013/2014. I see it growing BIGGER. It's just too good a story -- a single, out-of-work mother of three gets thrown through the windshield and is found with her phone clutched in her death grip while her babies cry in their car seats back in the wreckage.... Journalists make their careers on stories than that, and sooner or later one of them is going to remember what a telephone is and start calling the manufacturers for "comments" about "proposed legislation".

Then things will get interesting. People don't like it when their toys get taken away.
      06-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #66
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES View Post
Nothing is truly flawless, Apple is no exception but it is way better than having to integrate a crappy Android device to your car.
I guess your experience of integrating your Android phone has been vastly different to mine (which was seemless integration and functionality first time, every time).

We have an Android, iOS and Windows OS smartphone in my household and there are pro's and con's to each of them. Interestingly the Samsung Omnia WinMo7 phone is not enjoying pairing with my current E82 or my colleagues E90 on a consistent basis. It runs with incredible smoothness though and as far as a phone doing what it's supposed to do, it's quite good. I manage the wife's iOS devices and I can see why they appeal to the masses.

On a different point, I'm not a fan of Siri given the data is stored by Apple for mining.

Tech is always being superceded, often more quickly than expected (take the new iDrive for the F30 as an example) and this, in my view, is the "flavour of the month".
Appreciate 0