E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Steps to import a car from the USA.

05-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #155
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

All the answers to your questions have already been answered in this thread. Maybe you should read it from the start? If that is too much of an endeavor, I'll crush your cream now and mention that dealerships in the USA will not sell a NEW car out of country. This is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaZ View Post
Hi!

First timer here.....

I am planning on picking up a new U.S. 2012 3 Series when they come out and am gratified that people here have not had difficulties bringing their cars into Canada.

Have any of you been given hard times by Canadian BMW dealerships when claiming warranty work? I know that I will have to pay for the regular servicing, but am concerned about the dealer refusing warranty work as I do not intend to change my speedo nor install permanent DRLs. It appears that the existing U.S. speedo is acceptable and that Canadian Tire folks do not check to see if the DRLs are permanently on.

R
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #156
RobertaZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
All the answers to your questions have already been answered in this thread. Maybe you should read it from the start? If that is too much of an endeavor, I'll crush your cream now and mention that dealerships in the USA will not sell a NEW car out of country. This is fact.
Sorry to crush your cream, but none of the questions have been answered in this thread. I asked if anyone was given a hard getting warranty work done by BMW Canada. Elite Imports heard that some folks were given a hard time about getting warranty work done. I specifically asked if any of the posters to this forum had been given a hard time getting warranty work done.

Your "fact" about dealerships in the USA not selling new cars out of country is simply incorrect. I called two BMW dealerships in the U.S., one not far from the Ontario border and the other one not far from the Quebec border. Both offered to sell me new cars if I could provide them with local state addresses. Neither balked when I told them I intended to import the car into Canada. It is simply a matter of opening up your contact book and finding a friend or relative who lives in one of those states. So technically, they are selling cars out of the country. Both dealers said that they can lose their dealerships if they sell cars directly to Canadians for export to Canada.

I have a relative in NH, a state that has no sales tax and will be buying a 2012 328i as soon as they're out!

BTW, I read this thread from the 1st post.....

Last edited by RobertaZ; 05-25-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #157
dofreund
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Jigga....who shipped your car from cleveland to niagara? I need a shipper...and 400 seems like a good price
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #158
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Have any of you been given hard times by Canadian BMW dealerships when claiming warranty work?
R
My left rear bulb is gone out.

I'm in the US right now but once I return, I'll take it to BMW Toronto or Parkview. I'll ask them if this is a warranty issue and then what the ramifications are.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #159
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofreund View Post
Jigga....who shipped your car from cleveland to niagara? I need a shipper...and 400 seems like a good price
I'd drive it up.....I drove mine from Cincy via Columbus where I stayed the night with family (to not have to drive straight 9 hours!)

The gas from Cleaveland to Canada will be $150 tops.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #160
Romano
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

Hi, I am new to this tread and let me first say that I have read all the information from the very first post before asking these questions. These are more concerns if anything that are bothering me.

I am planning on purchasing a 2011 328i Xdrive from the states. Florida to be exact. I live in BC, Canada (Vancouver Island near Victoria) I will be using a shipping company (I've been quoted anywhere from $1350 USD to $1800 and up USD) depending on closed shipping or open shipping to bring it to the boarder near the Pacific HWY boarder crossing. Blaine WA, into Vancouver.

I will be requesting a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry from the dealer I am purchasing from (he is not a BMW dealer but has close links to BMW since he deals with them all the time)

I fully understand the process of obtaining binary insurance from my local autoplan broker (susex insurance company) and requesting a permit from Seattle DMV so that I can drive the vehicle to the boarder.

The paperwork needed at the boarder I understand completely.

You mentioned that once you past the US vehicle export office that you stop at the Canadian Boarder office and tell them that you have purchased a car. Other than the bill of sale should I provide anything else? like a bank account statement to show how much I have paid? You mentioned that you can be audited would you please explain that a little more.

I understand there will be no problem regarding the cluster since it is in both KM and Miles and I know how to set the DRL’s but I worry that Canadian tire will catch on to the fact that they were only adjusted and that all I have done is set them to be on. Has this happened to anyone? Can I just go to another Canadian tire and try again and hope they don’t notice it?

Another concern is the French and English labels? Child tethering restraints point locations and hardware kit? Did anyone have any issues with this?

It’s pretty late as I am typing this so that is all that is coming to me at the moment. If there is anything else I will post again. Thanks for your initial thread it was most informative.

Has anybody recently brought over a 3 series into Canada on the BC side? and had similar thoughts? problems? experiences?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #161
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano View Post
Hi, I am new to this tread and let me first say that I have read all the information from the very first post before asking these questions. These are more concerns if anything that are bothering me.

I am planning on purchasing a 2011 328i Xdrive from the states. Florida to be exact. I live in BC, Canada (Vancouver Island near Victoria) I will be using a shipping company (I've been quoted anywhere from $1350 USD to $1800 and up USD) depending on closed shipping or open shipping to bring it to the boarder near the Pacific HWY boarder crossing. Blaine WA, into Vancouver.

I will be requesting a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry from the dealer I am purchasing from (he is not a BMW dealer but has close links to BMW since he deals with them all the time)

I fully understand the process of obtaining binary insurance from my local autoplan broker (susex insurance company) and requesting a permit from Seattle DMV so that I can drive the vehicle to the boarder.

The paperwork needed at the boarder I understand completely.

You mentioned that once you past the US vehicle export office that you stop at the Canadian Boarder office and tell them that you have purchased a car. Other than the bill of sale should I provide anything else? like a bank account statement to show how much I have paid? You mentioned that you can be audited would you please explain that a little more.

I understand there will be no problem regarding the cluster since it is in both KM and Miles and I know how to set the DRL’s but I worry that Canadian tire will catch on to the fact that they were only adjusted and that all I have done is set them to be on. Has this happened to anyone? Can I just go to another Canadian tire and try again and hope they don’t notice it?

Another concern is the French and English labels? Child tethering restraints point locations and hardware kit? Did anyone have any issues with this?

It’s pretty late as I am typing this so that is all that is coming to me at the moment. If there is anything else I will post again. Thanks for your initial thread it was most informative.

Has anybody recently brought over a 3 series into Canada on the BC side? and had similar thoughts? problems? experiences?
you don't need anything from Seattle DMV --- the vehicle insurance is on the VIN. Just the temp dealer plates that're good for 30 days are plenty.

Bill of sale from the US dealership is plenty. Nothing else required to show what you paid.

Don't worry about Canadian Tire. Their job is to make sure that the DRLs are working --- that's it. And you can location jump if they give you any hassle......they can't stop you from doing that.

Didn't have any issues with French/English or any other thing. Of course, this is in Ontario and not BC.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #162
///MKD
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey Everyone, I am currently in the process of importing my first BMW.

I have run into a bit of an issue with the vehicle Title. I purchased a used BMW from a BMW dealership in New Jersey. I have read that the title to the car must be in the owners name in order for it to be imported into canada.

How do I get the title in my name? Apparently right now the Title is in the name of BMW Financial services/the BMW dealership who I purchased the car from.

I told them I would like to have the Title of the car in my name, but they said they cannot put my name on the title with a Canadian address? Not really sure how this works.

How have others overcome this problem?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #163
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Sorry to crush your cream, but none of the questions have been answered in this thread. I asked if anyone was given a hard getting warranty work done by BMW Canada. Elite Imports heard that some folks were given a hard time about getting warranty work done. I specifically asked if any of the posters to this forum had been given a hard time getting warranty work done.

Your "fact" about dealerships in the USA not selling new cars out of country is simply incorrect. I called two BMW dealerships in the U.S., one not far from the Ontario border and the other one not far from the Quebec border. Both offered to sell me new cars if I could provide them with local state addresses. Neither balked when I told them I intended to import the car into Canada. It is simply a matter of opening up your contact book and finding a friend or relative who lives in one of those states. So technically, they are selling cars out of the country. Both dealers said that they can lose their dealerships if they sell cars directly to Canadians for export to Canada.

I have a relative in NH, a state that has no sales tax and will be buying a 2012 328i as soon as they're out!

BTW, I read this thread from the 1st post.....

hey can u PM me the dealerships of the dealers that are willing to sell? i imported my car (moved back from NY), so if u have any questions, let me know.
      02-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #164
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthodoc View Post

I have run into a bit of an issue with the vehicle Title. I purchased a used BMW from a BMW dealership in New Jersey. I have read that the title to the car must be in the owners name in order for it to be imported into canada.

How do I get the title in my name? Apparently right now the Title is in the name of BMW Financial services/the BMW dealership who I purchased the car from.

I told them I would like to have the Title of the car in my name, but they said they cannot put my name on the title with a Canadian address? Not really sure how this works.

Thanks.
If the title is in their name means you need to pay the full amount due and pay off the car in cash. After that, they should be able to transfer the title.

And it doesn't matter Canadian address or US address. They can put whatever address on the NJ title, get you dealer plates and send you on the way up to the border.

You'll need a recall clearance letter or WIR for passing onto the RIV though. Don't forget that.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #165
///MKD
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
If the title is in their name means you need to pay the full amount due and pay off the car in cash. After that, they should be able to transfer the title.

And it doesn't matter Canadian address or US address. They can put whatever address on the NJ title, get you dealer plates and send you on the way up to the border.

You'll need a recall clearance letter or WIR for passing onto the RIV though. Don't forget that.
All good.

For others who are interested in importing their BMW from the US. The US title does not have to be in your name.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #166
Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
All good.

For others who are interested in importing their BMW from the US. The US title does not have to be in your name.
I believe the title must have a transfer date and name on it somewhere. How are you going about getting a Clearence Letter or WIR for RIV?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #167
Gentleman Gangsta
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320

Quote:

Thanks.
When you go through CBP (US customs), you need to present them with:

1. Title or Certificate of Ownership
2. Bill of Sale or Invoice

The combination of the Title in the seller's name and the Bill of Sale documenting the sale from the seller to you will prove that you are now the rightful owner of the vehicle. CBP will then stamp the Title stating the vehicle is now exported. You can then take the vehicle and the Title (and other documentation) to the CBSA (Canadian customs).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #168
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Hey guys I am new to the forum

I couldnt find an importing thread regarding the X6 so I decided to post my question here.

Im thinking of buying a 2010 or 2011 X6 Hybrid from the states.
I got a price of $52000 for a 2010 with about 17000 miles on it from a bmw dealership. It has warranty until 2014, the dealer said they would provide the service inquiry and make sure the DRL and speedo are adjusted.
My question is about exactly how much I will pay in total
$52000 x 12% HST ($6240) = $58240
plus RIV fee, excise fee, inspection fee and other fees im ballparking about $600

So does $58800 seem about right as to what I will have end up paying once everything is said and done?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #169
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

I think you forgot import duties.

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #170
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer333 View Post
I think you forgot import duties.
X6 is made in the US I believe so it is exempt as far as i know.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #171
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post
Hey guys I am new to the forum

I couldnt find an importing thread regarding the X6 so I decided to post my question here.

Im thinking of buying a 2010 or 2011 X6 Hybrid from the states.
I got a price of $52000 for a 2010 with about 17000 miles on it from a bmw dealership. It has warranty until 2014, the dealer said they would provide the service inquiry and make sure the DRL and speedo are adjusted.
My question is about exactly how much I will pay in total
$52000 x 12% HST ($6240) = $58240
plus RIV fee, excise fee, inspection fee and other fees im ballparking about $600

So does $58800 seem about right as to what I will have end up paying once everything is said and done?
I imported by 335 two months ago it is WELL worth it and really not all that hard.

Run the VIN and see where it is made. Mine was made in Germany so I had to pay duties and HST. If you own a company, you can get all the GST back although you have to import the car under the company (which is what I did) and the steps are a little different but still rather easy.

Check to see where the car was made here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_Number

On a side note. MAKE SURE the dealership you are buying the BMW from provides you with temporary plates that allow you to drive the car across the border. Most people throw on Canadian plates, because most states can't run our plates in their system and simply try to drive the car across the border without registered plates. The very first thing the US export office does, is check and ask what plates you have on the car right before you leave the US. If your running no plates, or Canadian plates they have been known to call the state trooper for issue massive fines and have you pay to tow your car across.

If anybody has any questions let me know, I will help you out.

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 10-29-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #172
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

Yeah I am thinking about importing a 335i from the states soon. Did you have to change anything in your car when you brought into Canada? Did you have to pay the state tax?

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.

Last edited by flyer333; 10-29-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #173
Van G
Canada
Rep
Drives: Looking: '11 or '12 335i Cab

Also interested in US purchased 335i Cab (11 or 12) and wanted to know how warranty was handled if you aren't going to get warranty transferred to BMW Canada?

From what I understand BMW USA will reimburse warranty work done at a Canadian dealer but your SOL for the 4/50 free service unless you get it done in the US.

Appreciate anyone able to confirm or correct.

Van G
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #174
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Ok so a member asked me these questions and I thought they could benefit everyone so I'll answer them here:

1) How are you handling the warranty/service? I'm in Buffalo regularly and have planned to get service there but wanted to know if I need immediate warranty work done, will it be done/covered here in Toronto?

The only way BMW Canada will honor an existing warranty from an imported vehicle is if you purchase the recall letter from them ($500). In addition to this, they MAY make you change the instrument cluster (approx. $2500) and have day-time running lights.

They will tell you the ONLY way to register the BMW after importing with the RIV (registrar of imported vehicle) is with the purchase of the recall letter. This is not true. The RIV will accept EITHER the recall letter from BMW or a Vehicle Warranty Inquiry which can be obtained from any dealership if you purchase your car from them. I have and kept a copy of my vehicle warranty inquiry and if I sent it to you guys, you would see how much of a joke BMW is for trying to charge you $500 for it.

In addition, BMW will tell you it is mandatory for you to change the instrument cluster to Km/h. Also not true. The Ministry of Transportation allows a vehicle to have MP/h as long as it also has KM/h which cars from the US have. Only the Canadian cars have only KM/h so BMW can say what they like, if the ministry does not require the change, they cannot make you do it.

Lastly, you have your daytime running lights. I have I-drive so I manually turned on my daytime lights (there is the option to do it on the screen). If you car is not equipped with I-drive, you might have to get it done at a shop. I am not sure how complicated it is to do (I would assume its easy) but I am not sure and hopefully someone can chime in that knows how the daytime lights can be turned on without I-drive.

2) Did you buy new or used? I'm looking at used with less than 15K miles and wondered what sort of criteria you came up with?

I bought my car used and I did not have any warranty remaining on the car. I would suggest that unless you plan to buy the car from a BMW dealership, get the car taken to a BMW dealership and get whats called a 'Pre-sale Inspection'. It cost me $120 I believe and BMW will give a full inspection of the car to ensure everything is the way it should be and functioning properly.

3) Why did you decide to purchase in business name and what sort of pros/cons come with that? I'm assuming your GST recoup is simply based on in/out? I own a business but have never actually purchased a vehicle in the companies name.

Importing a vehicle with your own company allows you to apply to get your HST back after you pay the taxes at the border once you cross into Canada. If you import it using your company and want to sell the car its easier to explain rather than having your personal name come up in the ownership and then your company (you can import it personally and then transfer it) but you have to pay additional fees so do it right the frst time.

One thing they DO NOT tell you before you get to the Canadian side customs is that if you are importing the car threw your company, to pay the duties (HST is paid at the MTO office when you get plates) they only accept up to $500 on VISA/MasterCard and from what I can remember $300-400 cash. Why? I have no idea and this makes absolutely no sense but thats what they told me. I bought my car for 25k and from what I remember the duties were around $2300. Since they don't let you pay for the full amount on credit card or with cash, hire a broker to do the paperwork for you and they will also take care of paying the duties. There is also some paperwork to be filled out and to be honest if your doing this for the first time like I was, you have no idea what codes/sections/categories your car is under. They have brokers right there in the Canadian customs building and they charge around $150 which is nothing really. They have all the paperwork done for you, and they take care of paying for the Duties (they are allowed to use VISA for some reason) so you just pay them what you owe for the duties + the $150 for their services and its all squared away. Sorry if this is confusing, I can clarify better if need-be just ask me.

You also need to have with you the following documents:

1) Articles of Incorporation
2) HST Number
3) RIN Number (you can find this on the first page of the Articles of Incorporation)
4) Title
5) Bill of Sale (of the car was bought off an individual)

They will ask you if you are the President, Officer or Director of the company and you say yes (obviously). If you say no, they will not let you import. Obviously if its your company you will say yes, bit they will ask you

*** DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE YOUR CAR ACROSS THE BORDER WITH CANADIAN PLATES OFF YOUR OLD CAR OR NO PLATES AT ALL***

When I was at the US export office (you have to go here before your allowed to cross into Canada with the car, the FIRST thing they do is make sure you either have a temporary plate that is still valid from the state you bought the vehicle from, or you are trucking the car across via a trailer. It does not matter if the only road you can drive on is the bridge to Canada, they will not let you drive. When I was there, someone was importing a car and slapped on his old plates. They called the state trooper who wrote him $600 is fines, and then made him call a tow-truck to bring it across and I don't even wanna know what that bill turned out to be. DO NOT BE THAT GUY. When you buy your car from the dealership, tell them you want a temp thrown in for free and they will do it. That will allow you to legally drive the car across the border without any hassle.

Now this is where things get funny. Once you get the title stamped at the US export office, you get your paperwork (via the broker) and pay the Duties on the Canadian side. Now what? Well now you have to go to Canadian Tire and get them to stamp what they call 'FORM 1' which they will provide you with at the Canadian customs when you pay for everything. You cannot get temp plates in Canada until you at least have that stamped by Canadian Tire. Once you have that stamped, head down to the MTO office, and get a temp plate. From that point, you have if I remember correctly 14 days to get:

1) Emissions test
2) Safety test

Just throwing it out there, Canadian tire can do the emissions and safety as well. Just get all of it done in one shot and get it over with. When you go to the MTO office again you will need to bring:

1) Articles of Incorporation
2) HST Number
3) RIN Number (you can find this on the first page of the Articles of Incorporation)
4) Title
5) Bill of Sale (of the car was bought off an individual)
6) The receipt from the duties you paid at the border

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 10-29-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #175
Van G
Canada
Rep
Drives: Looking: '11 or '12 335i Cab

Thanks shaginwagon13.

What about BMW USA reimbursing for warranty work done at Canadian dealer? For example, the car is not drive-able and I have to get part 'A' replaced.

You also use 'MAY' wrt to the cluster change and DRL. Can you expand?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #176
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van G View Post
Thanks shaginwagon13.

What about BMW USA reimbursing for warranty work done at Canadian dealer? For example, the car is not drive-able and I have to get part 'A' replaced.

You also use 'MAY' wrt to the cluster change and DRL. Can you expand?
BMW will want you to pay for:

1) Recall Letter
2) Instrument cluster changed
3) Daytime running lights

I said that BMW 'may' want all these because you still have warranty on the car and they might say that if you don't get those 3 things, they won't cover the warranty work. I had no warranty left on my car, so I told them to stick it, because really what did I care. As long as the car meets the RIV and MTO standards, you can register the car, but BMW may require you to do it or they will say the car is not safe and will not cover your warranty.

I am 100% sure that if you have warranty they will require you to pay for the recall letter. That I know for sure.

They are also going to push for the cluster but if you argue and be a thorn in their ass, they may drop this and honor the warranty. All you have to say is that the MTO does not require you to change it, the US cluster has both MP/h and KM/h and you do not wish to change.

Once the car is imported, BMW North America has nothing to do with your car and the warranty is transferred to BMW Canada. BMW Canada will be responsible for covering your warranty. Like I said though, if you want them to honor the warranty for sure you will be paying the $500 for the recall letter. Like I said, they may argue about the cluster, just be a pain in their ass and they can't 'make' you change something thats deemed safe by the ministry of transportation.

If anyone has questions keep them coming. I don't mind helping.
Appreciate 0