E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DD Suspension Upgrades

02-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #1
filhotran
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

DD Suspension Upgrades

Hello,
I am thinking of doing a full suspension refresh and upgrade sometime in the future. I drive a stock turbo FBO E92 335i (~140k miles) in CA. My car isn't tracked, only sees the canyons and spirited drives, but mostly just a fun daily.

What I have:
- ST X coilovers
- Monroe shock mounts
- M3 front control arms
- Rear toe arm
- Michelin PS4

What I want:
- Sway bars (front and rear?)
- M3 rear control arms (or should I only get M3 guide rods?)
- Powerflex differential and subframe bushings
- M3 strut brace?
- Powerflex shock mounts (would this make a difference over the Monroe ones?)

What else am I missing and/or what do you guys recommend for the best upgrades for street performance? I want to replace and upgrade everything that usually needs to be changed so that I won't worry too much about my suspension for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:58 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Powerflex won’t give you anything the Monroe’s don’t IMO. Most seem to think a big front bar and stock rear is the best. I haven’t tried other setups but that’s what I run and it works well.

Subframe bushings make a noticeable difference but don’t go too stiff. I went solid aluminum and wish I’d gone poly. Diff bushings will make a huge difference but expect some whine.

I really like my m3 strut brace. Pricy but very noticeable in only a good way.

All my rear arms are stock so no experience there
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 06:45 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

The M3 control arms and bigger front sway bar make a massive difference for the front end feel, and I'm on s**t worn out stock suspension. Planning to do full refresh myself just waiting for an online sale. I have stock rear sway bar because people have stated without a LSD you don't want or need upgrade it. It's also annoying to install.
Solid aluminum subframe bushing = race car/ track day car
Poly = upgraded daily street car
M3 = smallest improvement, street car
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:46 PM   #4
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

OP, sounds like you are pretty close to the optimal setup, IMHO. If I were you, I'd just replace whatever bushings and mounts are worn out and call it good.

I know there are a ton of folks who say the front swaybar is one of the best suspension mods, but the logic just doesn't make sense to me, so I'm in the stock swaybar camp.

For a daily/street car, I'm not sure the extra stiffness is desirable. And for a track car, I'm not convinced that it increases the limit.

I have a basic M3 arms + Prokit + Koni yellow + Dinan camber plates setup. With the right camber and shock settings, the balance is great, and I've never thought "there's too much body roll."

I also think it's interesting to note what Alpina does on the B3, which is not large swaybars.
Appreciate 0