E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Anyone have experience with a UHAUL trailer/Truck?

06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Anyone have experience with a UHAUL trailer/Truck?

Hey guys...

I'm renting a Uhaul Truck to move to orlando next weekend... I will be towing my Prelude up behind the truck on a trailer also rented for them.

I'm trying to determine my plan for loading the truck... I have to pick my car up from a different location than where I'm loading my belongings into the truck.

The main question is, with a car loaded on the trailer, do UHAUL trailers have the ability for me to remove the trailer FROM the truck WITH the car on it? I ask because I'd like to utilize the loading ramp of the truck, which obviously cannot be done if there is a trailer hitched to it....

getting the car AFTER loading the truck is NOT ideal.

Anyone know if its possible? Tried reading UHAUL material and looking at pics of the trailers online but cannot tell... I called but it seems like i'm speaking a different language and they dont seem to be understanding what I'm asking.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You will be able to detatch the trailer with the car on it. I mean, worst case, couldn't you drive the car off the trailer then remove the trailer temporarily if need be?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

car isn't drivable and its gonna be a bitch to push it onto the trailer twice... doable but wondering if it will be necessary
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

If you're less than 100 miles away, just have AAA tow it if you have AAA plus. Even if you don't, it's only $100 a year and will be worth it for this one occasion plus you get 2 more 100 mile tows for the year. I did that when I bought a rolling shell with no motor or trans in Lakeland and needed to get it to Tampa.
      06-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
If you're less than 100 miles away, just have AAA tow it if you have AAA plus. Even if you don't, it's only $100 a year and will be worth it for this one occasion plus you get 2 more 100 mile tows for the year. I did that when I bought a rolling shell with no motor or trans in Lakeland and needed to get it to Tampa.
good tip bro.. I actually work for AAA It will be sitting at my grand parents place up here until my house is finished construction which is in two months so for that shorter trip (Ocoee to Downtown Orlando) I will absolutely be using AAA to do the tow.

Unforunately its from South Florida to North Orlando and therefore its about 250 miles.

adding the trailer to the truck bumped up my cost of the truck an additional $55 (I'm moving from south florida so I need the truck either way)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Hey guys...

I'm renting a Uhaul Truck to move to orlando next weekend... I will be towing my Prelude up behind the truck on a trailer also rented for them.

I'm trying to determine my plan for loading the truck... I have to pick my car up from a different location than where I'm loading my belongings into the truck.

The main question is, with a car loaded on the trailer, do UHAUL trailers have the ability for me to remove the trailer FROM the truck WITH the car on it? I ask because I'd like to utilize the loading ramp of the truck, which obviously cannot be done if there is a trailer hitched to it....

getting the car AFTER loading the truck is NOT ideal.

Anyone know if its possible? Tried reading UHAUL material and looking at pics of the trailers online but cannot tell... I called but it seems like i'm speaking a different language and they dont seem to be understanding what I'm asking.
My friend rented one which I towed for him.

It is not a problem to connect and disconnect the trailer if it is loaded. However, the trailer we had did not have the same 'receiver' that a privately owned boat trailer would have (for example) it is a more universal (shitty) variety that you have to adjust, so be careful to adjust it properly. Uhauls also tend to have shitty wiring because nobody really cares about them so be sure to get that reconnected properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

one other thing, put the heavy part of the car on first, you need to have weight on hitch ball. You can imagine what would happen if your trailer is not properly balanced (heavier on the front) and you disconnect it from the trailer. Whatever you do, do not mess with the car when the trailer is disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
one other thing, put the heavy part of the car on first, you need to have weight on hitch ball. You can imagine what would happen if your trailer is not properly balanced (heavier on the front) and you disconnect it from the trailer. Whatever you do, do not mess with the car when the trailer is disconnected.
but to be clear... the front of the trailer has some sort of... i dunno the technical term... but some sort of 'stand' that will hold the car and trailer up while its not connected to the truck... is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
but to be clear... the front of the trailer has some sort of... i dunno the technical term... but some sort of 'stand' that will hold the car and trailer up while its not connected to the truck... is that correct?
Yes, it will have a jack of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Yes, it will have a jack of some sort.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

fyi if anyone ever comes across this thread in the future and wanted some info on how it all worked... it did have a jack.

but I arranged to pick up the trailer after loading the truck... so I didn't have to worry about all that.

thanks for the tips fellas

Appreciate 0