E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > Birds B3 suspension setup for sale

01-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Birds B3 suspension setup for sale

Hi guys,

I've decided to change my rear lower arms to m3 ones so the current Birds suspension setup I have on my car will no longer fit. Plus since I have a daily diesel, I can make my 335i more track focused and will be looking to buy a set of coilovers.

These were owned by YvesD previously, and I bought them off him in March and had them fitted two months later. His car was very low mileage and mine has been off the road more than on so they hardly any miles on them. There is only one issue with them, one of the rear shocks has slightly slightly chewed up threads on the inside where you hold them when installing and removing them.

This doesn't affect the suspension at all once fitted and I have lowered the price of them suitably from what I paid for them. The shocks themselves have a small amount of rust on them, again which doesn't make any difference to the way they work.

I'm also including front Febi-Bilstein top mounts which are the correct 'Sport' type and have the camber pins removed so that front camber can be increased. The rears come with OEM BMW top mounts which were bought new (as well as the fronts) in April/May.

Price is £550 collected. Don't have the original boxes so postage will be a bit difficult. These will be removed next Sunday from my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Tempted, but skint

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Bargain Idnan!

I remember just missing out on these when they came up for sale.

Didn't realise you can't use with the M3 arms.

GLWTS shouldn't hang about for long I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

What's the drop on the Birds stuff by the way?

I've got a front mounted CAI (down by the nearside arch liner) and I seem to recall Marcel mentioned that when fitted with the same kit (Stett) and the Birds suspension, he found that the CAI cone was pretty badly smashed by the wheel hitting it due to how low the car rides.

FYI the arch liner has to be removed or heavily modified to fit the CAI cone down there. Mine is modified and the liner does catch the wheel on near full lock with standard suspension, so it does seem likely I will get rubbing if I did lower the car much.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post
Bargain Idnan!

I remember just missing out on these when they came up for sale.

Didn't realise you can't use with the M3 arms.

GLWTS shouldn't hang about for long I'm sure.
Cheers pal, I bought them within a few minutes and was hoping to sell them just as quick . These fit with the front m3 arms, but not the rears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
What's the drop on the Birds stuff by the way?

I've got a front mounted CAI (down by the nearside arch liner) and I seem to recall Marcel mentioned that when fitted with the same kit (Stett) and the Birds suspension, he found that the CAI cone was pretty badly smashed by the wheel hitting it due to how low the car rides.

FYI the arch liner has to be removed or heavily modified to fit the CAI cone down there. Mine is modified and the liner does catch the wheel on near full lock with standard suspension, so it does seem likely I will get rubbing if I did lower the car much.

Matt
I noticed a drop of about 10-15mm when I fitted the Birds setup but I never experienced any issues of scraping over bumps or catching of the front bumper. Which CAI have you got?

Here's the only (rather poor) pic I have of the suspension fitted:

And this picture was taken on the 26th of May when I started rebuilding my car after snapping the prop, so it was fitted just after that:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The CAI I have is a STETT mate.

Doesn't look too low, but I am still skint

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
The CAI I have is a STETT mate.

Doesn't look too low, but I am still skint

Matt
Will your situation be any better at the end of the month? My car is at least 3 weeks away from being ready so I'm happy to keep it for you for a small deposit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know mate, is the honest answer. It will, but I don't know if it will be well enough

Similarly to my comments on Ian's PSS10's.... I'd like to ask you to reserve them, but in many ways it might be better if someone else just bought them.

With that in mind, I'll be keeping my eyes on this anyway and I am sure someone will pick them up, but if not... Well... You know

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
Hi, could you give me an honest opinion on these Birds B3 springs? I'm thinking of getting these for mine and I'm currently looking at the best option for aggressive street driving but not so much track action.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
I don't know mate, is the honest answer. It will, but I don't know if it will be well enough

Similarly to my comments on Ian's PSS10's.... I'd like to ask you to reserve them, but in many ways it might be better if someone else just bought them.

With that in mind, I'll be keeping my eyes on this anyway and I am sure someone will pick them up, but if not... Well... You know

Matt
No probs mate, I remember buying these minutes before you expressed your interest so felt that I should give you a proper chance this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
Hi, could you give me an honest opinion on these Birds B3 springs? I'm thinking of getting these for mine and I'm currently looking at the best option for aggressive street driving but not so much track action.
Hi,

The ride height is great but the ride quality is the best bit about the Birds kit. I've had non-RFT tyres since I bought my car and the difference between the OEM BMW setup and the B3 stuff is night and day. The car feels much more settled, planted and surprisingly more comfortable on poor roads. With the m3 antiroll bars it handled like a proper RWD car, none of this understeery crap you get with the original m-sport setup. I bought them for exactly the use that you mentioned, for fast road use and not to go on track (I already have an e36 track car I'm building)

Here are a few other reviews on the Birds setup:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...p;postcount=46

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465509

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788332
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Cheers for the info and its one of those should I shouldn't I scenarios.

So these where bought from another member so in total how many miles would these have covered?
Someone commented that their B16 kit was leaky and noisy after 10k. Not saying that these are but they are basically custom Bilstein.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788638

PM me your best price and where you are located I'm on the verge of spending money on this stuff
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oh BTW which coil overs did you settle on?

Nice car idnan mine is simular black on black same wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

Hi mate

I have a e92 325, do you know if these would fit?
And is delivery totally out of the question? Im in Glasgow
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
Oh BTW which coil overs did you settle on?

Nice car idnan mine is simular black on black same wheels
Haven't 100% decided on what I'm going for but I'm thinking maybe KWs, BCs or Nitron 1s or Ohlins if they're available. It all depends how much I have to spend on other areas of my car to get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imygaf View Post
Hi mate

I have a e92 325, do you know if these would fit?
And is delivery totally out of the question? Im in Glasgow
I suppose I could deliver but I prefer collection so buyers can see what they're getting. Delivery would be about £25 with UPS.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

Does this include everything i would need for fitting. Would i have to buy any other parts?

Can you say what total mileage they have covered?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imygaf View Post
Does this include everything i would need for fitting. Would i have to buy any other parts?

Can you say what total mileage they have covered?
Yep both front and rear come with top mounts so its just a case of unbolting your old suspension and fitting this kit.

Previous owner said he had done 5k on them and his car was up for sale with 30k on the clock (2007 car) and the suspension had been taken off earlier so I had no reason to doubt him. I fitted them in June and took my car off the road on October so can't have done more than 3k on them myself.

PS I've got the full spare subframe from my 335i which I removed so if you need any other parts such as a 335i ARBs, rear arms etc then I would be willing to chuck them in for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
gda_scooby
Rep
Drives: modified 335i coupe

I will have them please, but would need them shipped to aberdeen.

if you can box them i can arrange collection, or will pay extra for shipment.

Pleae call me on 077 189 23000

Gareth
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gda_scooby View Post
I will have them please, but would need them shipped to aberdeen.

if you can box them i can arrange collection, or will pay extra for shipment.

Pleae call me on 077 189 23000

Gareth
Hi Gareth,

that's fine, I've just got home now so will give you a call tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
gda_scooby
Rep
Drives: modified 335i coupe

yeah i'm at work but can take calls no problem
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Haven't 100% decided on what I'm going for but I'm thinking maybe KWs, BCs or Nitron 1s or Ohlins if they're available. It all depends how much I have to spend on other areas of my car to get it right.
Idnan, stay clear of BC, I know someone that used them and they didn't last long and mechanics who looked after the car were not impressed with the quality at all.

Out of the list above I would go Ohlins all the way. I've been in an Ohlins equipped car on track and road and was VERY impressed with it, I'd go so far as to say it was probably the best suspension I've felt in a car.

PS - am speaking to Ohlins about a group buy for the e46 m3 kits that they are releasing imminently, might be able to include some or a kit for an e92 if you are interested. Don't expect it to happen over night though....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Idnan, stay clear of BC, I know someone that used them and they didn't last long and mechanics who looked after the car were not impressed with the quality at all.

Out of the list above I would go Ohlins all the way. I've been in an Ohlins equipped car on track and road and was VERY impressed with it, I'd go so far as to say it was probably the best suspension I've felt in a car.

PS - am speaking to Ohlins about a group buy for the e46 m3 kits that they are releasing imminently, might be able to include some or a kit for an e92 if you are interested. Don't expect it to happen over night though....
I'm on BCs and have been for about 3 months and I would say they're excellent. I don't have experience of any others unfortunately but you have to allow room for error as inevitably, this can happen to any product!

It also depends what the guy (who you kno/knew) used the BCs for?! They get excellent reviews on Jap car scene and they use them purely for performance/track days/drags etc etc..

Just my 2p worth.
      01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

Cheers for the information pal. Ohlins or Nitrons are top of my list but unfortunately it all comes down to money. I can get an excellent deal on KW V3s from a place in Holland but I wasn't overly impressed with them in my brother's Cupra R. Is the GB on m3 cutters? I'm looking for the e92 m3 kit so hopefully will get a few more people interested over there.

HSD have released an e9x non m3 setup which would be a option but they haven't done an m3 version.

PS the Birds suspension is now sold!

Last edited by idnan; 01-09-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0