E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Claying process (question)

10-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
2 hours to apply wax by hand............3 hours to polish.........

man, you must either work really slow, or take a break every 10 mins
Hey hey hey!!! come on.....slow? Well, actually I did take my time on the polishing, I want to make sure I got every imperfection taken care of.

Now on the waxing part, well, let's just say there was probably a few beers thrown in there! I could prob have done it without interuption in about 1 hour.

The time involved is pretty acurate, I actually kept a little journal so I could get an idea about how long this was all going to take me. Can you say A N A L? Well, that's definately me.
      10-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #24
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

man I'm just happy I do it every 4 months if it was every other month I'd probably kill myself.....and normtrum 8 hours is the same amount of time I take as well that includes lunch breaks and all that good stuff. I tend to take a break after every step I finish.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #25
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

I am floored by the time you guys put into this. I showed cars for 5 years, magazine shoot on it, finished second in HIN VIP class, etc. My cars I think are immaculate and it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to wash, clay, polish, and wax my 335i.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #26
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I am floored by the time you guys put into this. I showed cars for 5 years, magazine shoot on it, finished second in HIN VIP class, etc. My cars I think are immaculate and it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to wash, clay, polish, and wax my 335i.
Well in my case I used 2 coats of sealant, which require at least 24 hours of cure time each. If I skipped that step, I would have been around 5 hours.....so ya, your time seems right on. It really depends on how much polish time you need to do. It coud be 0 time...to several hours.

My 81 hour total was kind of a joke, of course I didn't actually spend that amount of time physically working on my car.
      11-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #27
Ateneo_BluEagles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V-Kool

check this video How-To-Clay from the "guru" of detailing...good stuff
      11-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #28
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FMINUSDETAIL@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
since getting my car, i've attempted to do the Picus step by step process of cleaning the car. but every time i get to the claying step, i give up after doing a square inch of the car. I CANT DO IT!! :sad0147: i go to the next step of wiping the car with water/rubbing alcohol, then drying and finally waxing/buffing.

It would take me the whole day and then some to clay the whole car of contaminants. i need some help here. do i simply pass my finger along the car and clay the parts that feel like they have rust/metal chips in them? or do i seriously have to clay every inch of the car?

thanks.
If thats the case, you need to step up and get a more aggressive clay bar
Appreciate 0