E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Car Finance

01-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Car Finance

Hi Guys, Im looking to buy a new car soon.

Im selling my 116d, want something bigger.

At the moment ive narrowed it down to

1.Mercedes CLS 350 cdi
2.Audi A7 bitdi black edition
3.Audi A5 sportback 3.0 tdi 245

Im probably looking to do a PCP on it.

My current broker has got me about 11% off on each on those cars (new) listed above but his finance APR seems too high, about 10/11%!!

Can you guys recommend any good car finance companies /brokers?

Hope you all had a good Xmas and New Year
      01-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

You'd probably be cheaper going into a main dealer than using your broker. I've just today bought a new E-class coupe using MB's subsidised finance and got a huge discount too (I just asked the dealer to match Broadspeed's price).

For instance, I'm looking at a brochure titled 'Finance Offers from Mercedes-Benz' and the CLS example in there is very competitive:

3.9% APR on their PCP
£6,800 deposit contribution on a £47k car

That deposit contribution is 14% so already beats your brokers' price for the car before you've even started to negotiate. I reckon you can get another 5% discount on top of that offer easily....the deposit contribution is provided by MB so you still have the 8% dealer margin to chip away at

The full offer advertised is as follows (this is just an example and I guess applies to the 350CDi too):

CLS 250CDi - £47,600
MB Deposit Contribution - £6,800
Customer Deposit - £8,935 (you can pay less, right down to zero, or more up to 30%....it just changes the monthly payment)
24 month payments - £399
MGFV/Final Payment - £24,150

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that Andrew, yes the dealers are offering good deals at the mo, but they do my head in when i walk into one of them. But so far Mercedes finance offers are looking the best.

A7 - nice looking car and great interior/good engine 313bhp but wont fit in my garage

CLS - Same as A7 but worried it will suit the 'older man'. im only 27

A5 sportback - Great looking car, and willl fit into my garage but interior not as nice as the above and only (245bhp diesel)

Now what car do i choose??
      01-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlie View Post
Thanks for that Andrew, yes the dealers are offering good deals at the mo, but they do my head in when i walk into one of them. But so far Mercedes finance offers are looking the best.

A7 - nice looking car and great interior/good engine 313bhp but wont fit in my garage

A5 sportback - Great looking car, and willl fit into my garage but interior not as nice as the above and only (245bhp diesel)

Now what car do i choose??
Of course I am going to say the A7.

The A5 just feels cheap by comparison when you sit in it where as the A7 feels special.

Also the sportback (hatchback) makes it genuinely useful as the boot is HUGE

You have to drive it but the BiTurbo A7 engine is leagues ahead of the Mercedes 350CDI Engine

Just be very careful with the Audi option list
      01-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Marlon, hope you're well, whilst this might not immediately help you I'll happily sell you the Zed if it'll help plug a 'between-cars' period (for a very special forum price ). Doesn't help with space of course but summer is on it's way .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
stevie996
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d M Sport

My broker has just told me he is able to get 33% off an Eclass at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

33% of an E Class is pretty decent for sure and just makes it even clearer that you want to lease something like that as residuals will be taking a massive hit for the private purchaser. Better to lease and not to have to be worried about what it is worth come goodbye time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Perfect.

At 27, you are old....didn't anyone tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie996 View Post
My broker has just told me he is able to get 33% off an Eclass at the moment.
E-class saloon deals are crazy - even looking in the Mercedes finance deals brochure, the E saloon comes in at the same price as the C class and the APR is on 2.9%! They must have a lot of current shape stock to get rid of.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

You have pm!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Chris, still can't make my mind up on a car.

What's everyone's views on buying new/used? People keep telling me its better to buy new because of the current finance offers on new cars.
      01-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

There is usually no question that buying new is better than buying nearly new/pre reg, particularly if you are buying on finance. I have been looking for a replacement for the Mini, everything from a Corsa, Fiesta to A1; finance is much more competitive and is Completely skewed towards for brand new car.

In your list I would lean towards the A7, never driven one but they look great and I like Audis. It's maybe not your cup of tea, but I also really liked the A8 that Scott bought a week or so ago, phenomenal value and it had gadgets and extras that I'd never heard of!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Chris, still can't make my mind up on a car.

What's everyone's views on buying new/used? People keep telling me its better to buy new because of the current finance offers on new cars.
Generally yes, new = best finance deals however when I bought my A7, because of the age and the miles and because we were trying to do a deal, Audi are able to do low rates on Ex Demonstrators as well as new so even though my car wasn't brand new, I was able to get the same APR as if I were buying a new Audi which on a car that had depreciated as much as mine did in the first few months made it a no brainer and suddenly VERY affordable with the monthly payment on my A7 being pretty much the same as I was paying before on my C Class on the same terms.

So there are deals to be had (and a couple of really nice spec A7s sitting on the forecourt of my local Audi dealer that have been there for a few months now )

PS

If you fancy something REALLY special, take an S7 for a test drive

Last edited by m@rk; 01-11-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Hey, just seen your PM so will post back on here....

The A7 has been with me for just a year now and to be honest, I am bored stupid of it! It's a great car, don't get me wrong and many would cut their right arm off for a £50k motor, but it's just too sensible and boring,

The 245bhp motor is not sluggish and makes decent progress, especially on the open road but the car has developed a really annoying hesitancy when pulling off, especially in D mode. I think it is because I spend my commute to work in stop-start traffic so the gearbox has adapted to make this driving smoother, but has effectively made the first 25% of throttle pedal completely dead?! To combat this I use it more In sport mode but even this is starting to feel the same now and also hangs onto gears far too long, refusing to come out of 3rd even on 30mph constant speed roads and the paddles won't let you override the cars decision!

Another really crap feature is the MMI system. The control knob makes the cursor scroll the opposite way to which your brain says it should go and even now, after 12 months of ownership, still find it a pain. Drove a BMW M135i last week and the I drive was just so intuitive, even tho I haven't used it for a year. The dynamic route guidance just doesn't work at all and tells you to join a motorway that has miles of queues, only warning you that your about to face em as you drive up the slip road. The data functions on the car will only work via Bluetooth provided you have a rsap enabled phone. Unfortunately prob the worlds most popular phone, the iPhone, doesn't support this and whilst BMW and other manufacturers Re embracing the iPhone and providing app based content and connectivity the Audi does bugger all. It requires a separate sim in the dash to get the data to work which would be ok IF it didn't disable the Bluetooth pairing of the current phone. That means the sim in the dash then has to provide data and phone calls. Only Orange business users can get a duplicate SIM on the same number as the main phone as far as I know, luckily that's what I am on, so when the car is running that becomes the primary number. Only downside is when the missusmusesmthe car she has to remember to pop the sim out otherwise she gets my business calls in me car and I get none!

The weight of the car is also apparent and at approx 2 tons, can make it a little nose heavy, especially on twisty A roads.

It does have some plus points! It gets many admiring glances, as with the right spec it can look very fetching. Mine is Dakota grey, with the optional 20's and tinted glass. Also the rest of the interior is very very comfortable and it's a great mile muncher. The air con I find to be a bit stuffy with very little air movement/circulation once it's up to temperature.

I think I am finding its faults as I have fallen out of love with it. I feel I am a bit old for it at 41 yrs old, can't imagine owning one at 27!

Go for an RS6 or something. High quality interior but a Bit more fun to drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your replies guys, Ive been in talks with my local audi dealer. They have got a black A7 black edition Bitdi in build but they said said i could have it and change the spec to what i wanted, for eg (change the colour to Glacier white).

They have offered me about 9k off list price but after doing the maths on PCP (6.9 APR) I still end up paying the full list price if i wanted to keep the car after 4 years. They did bring the monthly payments down to £499 what i wanted but have really bumped the Final payment!! I believe it will be a beautiful car and has a great engine/cabin/looks but i just think after 4 years its gonna take a big hit in depreciation and i wont prob be left with any equity.

What to do? They said they need a decision by tomorrow due to few days left on changing the spec, but my gut feeling is they are just trying to push me for a sale.

Think im going to have a sleepless night

Any Help would be really appreciated.

Marlie
      01-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Marlie, I know I've just responded to your PM with the below but will post here as some may find useful.

It does seems like your getting really stressed about this purchase which is a shame - first and foremost, choosing a new car should be a pleasure (which is why I do it so bloody often!)

I actually think you need to decide 100% on the car you want first as it's hard enough negotiating different deals and finance offers, never mid having to do this across different cars at the same time!

Not being 100% sure of the car could also make you 'appear' less serious to a car dealer because it'll be obvious that you haven't made your mind up. I've always said that my strategy when I'm ready to buy has always been is to be 100% serious and ready to do a deal there and then. It makes the dealer work hard for a deal and puts the real onus on them to close me down.... I often don't do a deal at that time because the offer isn't good (hence I didn't buy my E Class from the same dealer show sold me the SLS....their loss!). Also, I may have to do this two or three times on the same car in different locations to get an idea of where the real breaking point is! This can all take time and whilst I know it seems I just seem to get deals quickly and easily, the reality is that by the time I've posted on the forum, I've done a considerable amount of negotiating and/or research (and I still kick myself sometimes!)

Anyway, take your time, drive ALL the cars you've shortlisted and choose your favourite....and don't let a dealer push you into a deal like you've suggested above - theres plenty of cars out there, it's not a rare or short supply model and I assure you that you will be able to spec another one!

Once you've chosen the car, you can then work seriously on drilling down a deal on that car. You can then play different dealers and brokers off each other over the same model.

As for the Audi - well, the interest rate is OK (if not market leading) and yes, even a good rate will add up the interest if you're doing it over 4 years. It's a nice car too but I think there are better deals out there...the CLS deal is substantially better and I reckon BMW would beat that too.

But, if you like the car better than the others you've shortlisted, then you can only go for the strongest deal you can get on that model of car which leads me back to my first point and the need to decide that first then play a few dealers / brokers off against each other. At the very least, get yourself a Drive the Deal or Broadspeed quote and take that into your dealer to beat AND give you the low rate finance. That way you can be more confident that you're getting a good deal (and if they've already beaten that, you know you've done well).

Of the cars on your shortlist.....well, I've just bought two Merc's, I like the brand and therefore am probably biased towards that brand. However, M@rk will counter this and say go for the Audi....but he's just got an A7 so is in 'honeymoon period', and he had a really bad experience with Merc so some could say that is a biased opinion the other way (and not without substance either). In reality, they're all great cars, you could have a good or a bad experience and only you can decide...although do take note of Paul's (M3Fast) view of ownership as he's actually owned one for the last year.

Depreciation wise, I seriously think there will be little difference between any of the cars you've mentioned so I wouldn't let that sway your decision one iota.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

I'm curious about the bi tdi in the new Audis. Any of you guys who have them care to shed some light on your average fuel consumptions?

I bought a 2.0 TDI (177 BHP) A4 Quattro Black Edition in March '12, and only had it 3 months because the fuel consumtpion was terrible (36 mpg over 3500 miles, driving miss daisy). Did consider the bi turbo, but then I figured it would be substantially worse. I mean, if they can't get a 2.0 TDI right?

Saying that, I swapped it for a 335d, which gets 1 mpg more on average (over 5000 miles, hooning it). While the Quattro system does use some fuel, not the same as an extra litre, an extra turbo, and an extra 140 BHP I wouldn't have thought?

Anyway, some figures from bi-turbo drivers would be great. Although I am admittedly leaning towards a tri turbo X5 next time round.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
They have offered me about 9k off list price but after doing the maths on PCP (6.9 APR) I still end up paying the full list price if i wanted to keep the car after 4 years. They did bring the monthly payments down to £499 what i wanted but have really bumped the Final payment!! I believe it will be a beautiful car and has a great engine/cabin/looks but i just think after 4 years its gonna take a big hit in depreciation and i wont prob be left with any equity.
Regardless of how you pay for a new car depreciation is never going to go away. If you lease a car or hand the car back at the end of a PCP you can reduce the hit; ie what you have paid in 3 years might have been less than the depreciation if you had bought with cash. Ofcourse that leaves you with no car...

In the end it all depends on your views on finance and your disposable income. I personally cannot justify/afford to be paying £500 a months on a car for 3 years and than still be left with a large cash sum to pay or no car to show for it. Hence the newest car I've ever bought was already 2.5 years old. Yes you still loss money on depreciation but it's a lot less compared to a brand new car and I've yet to suffer any major mechanical problems with any of the used cars I've bought

Rember also at the end of the day it's only a car, it's defiantly not worth lossing sleep over, but it also happens to be most peoples 2nd biggest purchase, so do what ever feels most comfortable (which is different for everyone)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #18
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I dont know the list prices of A7, or the differing specs, but if it is the car you want have a look at pre reg cars as well. I had a quick look and this one jumps out:

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used...cmdc=se_na_re_

Presumably a big saving on list, 100 miles on the clock and probably more to discount. I would be inclined to look at something like this with an even bigger saving off new and not budge until they give you a decent APR, or look at financing with another company.

EDIT, sorry it was the BiTDi, there is this one too...

Last edited by peterg1965; 01-12-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I agree with Peter. As regards Audi I would not just assume new is best. I bought an A6 and A4 recently for the company I work for. Both were 3 or 4 months old with very low miles, plenty of extras for 33% below list. I quoted up a few deals on new A6 and nothing else came close.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #20
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I dont know the list prices of A7, or the differing specs, but if it is the car you want have a look at pre reg cars as well. I had a quick look and this one jumps out:

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used...cmdc=se_na_re_

Presumably a big saving on list, 100 miles on the clock and probably more to discount. I would be inclined to look at something like this with an even bigger saving off new and not budge until they give you a decent APR, or look at financing with another company.
You need to be careful.

The OP was looking at the BiTurbo with the Quattro system and 313BHP

That car is FWD and only has 200BHP so a ver different car.

To XS2MAN

Looking on the Audi forums it would suggest that the 3.0TDI engines are as good if not better on fuel as the 2.0TDI lumps. Not sure if this is because the 3.0 is good or the 2.0 is bad.

Look at my signature and you will see that the MPG I am getting out of my 3.0TDI Quattro (not the BiTurbo version) is almost the same as I was getting out of my E91 335D and better than my C350 CDI (but not by much)

And lets be honest, if fuel economy is top of your list of importance then a 6 cylinder diesel engined car is not the right thing to be buying in the first place.

And finally back to finance.

If you are leasing the thing then the whole idea is that you put minimal deposit in and then have exactly zero equity in the car at the end. You just hand the car back and walk away or roll over into a new one.

Approach it like this and you find that you can actually being that 48 month date forward to about 38 months (dependant on APR) so change early due to a clause in the finance contract.
      01-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #21
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
You need to be careful.

And lets be honest, if fuel economy is top of your list of importance then a 6 cylinder diesel engined car is not the right thing to be buying in the first place.
I see what your saying. Fuel economy was near the top of my list when I bought the Audi. Put because it was so shocking, I ended up with the 335d. And get better fuel economy from that. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just went for the 3.0 TDI straight away.

On the finance question. As m@rk said, I generally reduce my deposit to as low as I can (but still enough to cover the initial depreciation after buying the car), and consider the monthly payments the cost of owning such a car (i.e. the depreciation). That way, at the end of the term, or any point throughout the term, if there is no equity left, then I am not surprised. Buying a new or nearly new car is never going to be an investment, so it comes down to how much you are willing to pay, per month, to drive the car in question.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Fuel economy is poor in the single turbo A7 so must be miserable in the bi turbo! I know it is a 6 pot diesel but BMW manage to get 10mpg more out of a comparable engine?

Mine does mid 20's round town, very low 30's on a run. I not drive it very hard but am no slouch either. It's massive weight is its downfall.

......as well as crap MMI lol
Appreciate 0