E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build Thread - E92 335D

09-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #89
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
You betcha Carlossss!
Is it on yet mate?
      09-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #90
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

The thing with the ms-8 is that its quite tricky to get it configured properly, especially if you have a partially amped system. This is because the ms-8 level matches all speakers during calibration. So the key is to make sure all speakers are at the same "volume" during the calibration sweeps. You can adjust amp gains and use an SPL meter for this. Even better get similar efficiency rated speakers, this is one of the reasons i got all Morels for the front. But dont worry, once you start troubleshooting, you will get loads of help from people who've been through the same thing!

I've never heard the L7 components before so cant really give a fair comment. But I suspect the Morels would beat them hands down in SQ. This is because a fair number of people change from OEM/L7/Focals to Morels, and can hear the difference even with an ms-8. To me they sound amazing.

If you're going to use Logic7 processing on the ms-8 (which most people do as its so good) then your centre speaker is quite important. I used to have a cheap (but still decent) Vibe Slick 4 for my centre. Sounded decent but then i got a Morel Coax and SQ was so much better. For SQ, its better to go with Morels.

Having said that some people with the OEM Logic 7 system are happy with their speakers with an ms-8. Its a personal preference and up to you, but you might waste a bit of money if you decide you want the Morels after! There is also a UK member called MrSingh, who showed me some speakers he is able to get. He had a thread with his review in the audio section. Its a new complete plug and play package (mids and underseats, but no centre IIRC) but i havent heard them. Might be worth asking him as they might be cheaper than the Morels. By the way dont worry about the rear speakers for now. First decide on your front ones. This is because the fronts will be amped, rears wont, so you'll need more efficient rears to match fronts. This can be worked out once you decide on amp/speakers.

Regarding the amp, please read through my comments in your other thread, in the audio section. But now you have actually got the ms-8 you will need 2 amps, if you're still going to upgrade the speakers of course. 5 channels for inside the car (mids woofers and centre, leave rears off ms-8) and then your sub amp. An amp which loads of people have used on this forum, with Morels and Jehnerts, is the JL XD600/6. Its compact, so it can be hidden away, and will give you 6 nice channels of clean power. There is not one complaint of an XD user on here.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #91
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Also if funds are tight, then you can always upgrade in stages to your perfect system.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #92
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I am getting the following installed on my car at the moment mate

Morel Hybrid Ovation II - fronts
Logic 7 Center speaker
Logic 7 Rear Decks - I bought some Rainbow Vanadium's in hopes they'll fit the rear decks, but they unfortunately dont :-(
SWS8 subs
MS 8
Audison LRX 6.9

I did quite a lot of research on the 4"'s and the Morel's came out on top SQ wise, I got mine from Isreal, contact ebay seller superdeals.ltd, costs about £275 + VAT + Customs charges, or contact seller rs32 on talkaudio, he had a complete set on sale for £350 or if you are happy with Morel Dotech ovations, you could get it from ebay seller captaincable for £250

How did you find the focal's on your E90 ? If you were happy with them, then they are available for £188 from lots of sellers on ebay, caraudiooutlet being one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-100K...item4165044777
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #93
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

I upgraded from base stereo to:

MS8
Logic 7 all round (E92) incl centre with tweet. These are all run off the MS8 (2ohm) TBH I havent heard the focals / moresl et al but the Logic 7 sound great but then again I am no Uber audiophile.

Just bought SWS8 subs (as you know) and will buy a sub amp only - the MS8 seems plenty loud enough for mids and tweets IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #94
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Is it on yet mate?
Not yet mate, am thinking of ordering one in the next week or picking it up locally as I've located a tuning shop carrying this product for about £90 unpainted and seems to be very good quality - stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
The thing with the ms-8 is that its quite tricky to get it configured properly, especially if you have a partially amped system. This is because the ms-8 level matches all speakers during calibration. So the key is to make sure all speakers are at the same "volume" during the calibration sweeps. You can adjust amp gains and use an SPL meter for this. Even better get similar efficiency rated speakers, this is one of the reasons i got all Morels for the front. But dont worry, once you start troubleshooting, you will get loads of help from people who've been through the same thing!

I didn't realise it was tricky to configure, I thought it does the configuration very well which is why it was so highly anticipated!? I guess when I do come to installing it in a few months (after I stack up on all the necessary equipment), I'll need to get it done professionally! Or with the help of someone on this forum in due course.

I've never heard the L7 components before so cant really give a fair comment. But I suspect the Morels would beat them hands down in SQ. This is because a fair number of people change from OEM/L7/Focals to Morels, and can hear the difference even with an ms-8. To me they sound amazing.

I've heard L7 on its own without any EQ etc and it sounds 10x better than BASE so with the right calibration and decent boot sub they could be enough.. but you're right, I'll always think "what if"...

If you're going to use Logic7 processing on the ms-8 (which most people do as its so good) then your centre speaker is quite important. I used to have a cheap (but still decent) Vibe Slick 4 for my centre. Sounded decent but then i got a Morel Coax and SQ was so much better. For SQ, its better to go with Morels.

I'll def get a centre speaker and only know of the Vibe Slick 4 through B33M3R (Matt's) install thread!
I'll look into the Morel variety..

Having said that some people with the OEM Logic 7 system are happy with their speakers with an ms-8. Its a personal preference and up to you, but you might waste a bit of money if you decide you want the Morels after! There is also a UK member called MrSingh, who showed me some speakers he is able to get. He had a thread with his review in the audio section. Its a new complete plug and play package (mids and underseats, but no centre IIRC) but i havent heard them. Might be worth asking him as they might be cheaper than the Morels. By the way dont worry about the rear speakers for now. First decide on your front ones. This is because the fronts will be amped, rears wont, so you'll need more efficient rears to match fronts. This can be worked out once you decide on amp/speakers.

Yeah I've seen MrSingh's thread but must refresh my memory on it once again.. How does the MS8 get connected with the standard speakers? Does it require a special harness as such as I don't want to tap into OEM wires.
On the subject of wires.. Would I need the 4/4 TECHNIC Harness or 4/6 harness for the purpose of my install? Any clues? Technic has those two variations but I'm not sure :-(... yeah not gonna fret over rear speakers and in fact won't even bother changing them.. they can stay OEM .. all about the front end babayyy and of course the Boot Sub!

Regarding the amp, please read through my comments in your other thread, in the audio section. But now you have actually got the ms-8 you will need 2 amps, if you're still going to upgrade the speakers of course. 5 channels for inside the car (mids woofers and centre, leave rears off ms-8) and then your sub amp. An amp which loads of people have used on this forum, with Morels and Jehnerts, is the JL XD600/6. Its compact, so it can be hidden away, and will give you 6 nice channels of clean power. There is not one complaint of an XD user on here.
Oh cool, So I need a 6 channel for fronts (will this also power the tweets in line with the door components?) and a mono block for the sub in the boot? Will the monoblock only prove 1 channel or could I bridge and power 2 subs?

Lastly, what other subs are good other than the JL W7? I ask as not everyone has the option of getting w7's given its hefty price tag (even though I've been offered a very fair price off a forum member - you know who you are... I'm going to do my research and let you know but please feel free to post up on other mediums - thanks v much dude! :-) )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Also if funds are tight, then you can always upgrade in stages to your perfect system.
True.. but what I did in the past was over a period of a few months, I collected / bought my items and that way it wasn't so bad. but I installed in one hit and that's what I want to do again :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
I am getting the following installed on my car at the moment mate

Morel Hybrid Ovation II - fronts
Logic 7 Center speaker
Logic 7 Rear Decks - I bought some Rainbow Vanadium's in hopes they'll fit the rear decks, but they unfortunately dont :-(
SWS8 subs
MS 8
Audison LRX 6.9

That's a great list! Were you the one who bought those Vanadiums from the forum member recently as I noticed they didn't hang around for long loll.

Where did you buy the Audison LRX 6.9 from btw.. I'm looking in Audison amps too - can't go wrong and good resale value held over time.

I did quite a lot of research on the 4"'s and the Morel's came out on top SQ wise, I got mine from Isreal, contact ebay seller superdeals.ltd, costs about £275 + VAT + Customs charges, or contact seller rs32 on talkaudio, he had a complete set on sale for £350 or if you are happy with Morel Dotech ovations, you could get it from ebay seller captaincable for £250

I've seen those Morel Dotech Ovations for about £250 and have been considering them.. I'll look into the aforementioned sellers dude, cheers for the heads up :-D

How did you find the focal's on your E90 ? If you were happy with them, then they are available for £188 from lots of sellers on ebay, caraudiooutlet being one

Although I enjoyed the upgrade from OE to focals, in hindsight, I found them very 'bright' and the tweeters were loud for what they are hence I won't go down the Focals - atleast not on this install. I figured since I did the Audison Bit One + Focal + SWS upgrade, I might as well try something else now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-100K...item4165044777
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
I upgraded from base stereo to:

MS8
Logic 7 all round (E92) incl centre with tweet. These are all run off the MS8 (2ohm) TBH I havent heard the focals / moresl et al but the Logic 7 sound great but then again I am no Uber audiophile.

Just bought SWS8 subs (as you know) and will buy a sub amp only - the MS8 seems plenty loud enough for mids and tweets IMO.
That's a decent upgrade not breaking the bank and yet delivers bang for you buck I would have thought. :cool:
      09-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #95
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

AWBimmer, once you get the audio sorted any chance I can come have a listen please?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #96
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
AWBimmer, once you get the audio sorted any chance I can come have a listen please?
Ofcourse ! This may take some time and into a few months but will let you know
      09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #97
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Ofcourse ! This may take some time and into a few months but will let you know
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #98
Reardy Mister
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 325, Space Grey w/black

A lot is said about "stance".

To me this car doesn't have much stance. It's more "dumped", in the style of the Dub guys. The dub style drop is a cult look, but is accepted as not very practical. I think of stance as implying purpose, a coiled spring, a tiger about to pounce. The purpose here is compromised in favour of the look, as you're discovering.

Not my tastes, but car modding is up to the individual.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #99
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reardy Mister View Post
A lot is said about "stance".

To me this car doesn't have much stance. It's more "dumped", in the style of the Dub guys. The dub style drop is a cult look, but is accepted as not very practical. I think of stance as implying purpose, a coiled spring, a tiger about to pounce. The purpose here is compromised in favour of the look, as you're discovering.

Not my tastes, but car modding is up to the individual.
Very well said! You may have noticed this has been my first time opting to lower a car I drive hence no experience in 'stancewerks' so to speak but as time elapses and I discover more and more through my own curiosity, I will evolve with this car and hope to have it stanced to please the eye, rather than a dumped look. It was drive-able but not practical. Luckily I drive on fairly Ok roads and parking at work is all flat level, small obstacle and I'm shtooked hence the raise. Once my new pads / discs will get replaced I will also have the car's height re-adjusted.

Trial and error but tis' the beauty of coilovers
      09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #100
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realise it was tricky to configure, I thought it does the configuration very well which is why it was so highly anticipated!? I guess when I do come to installing it in a few months (after I stack up on all the necessary equipment), I'll need to get it done professionally! Or with the help of someone on this forum in due course.
It does do the configuration really well. I think i should've phrased it another way. It's not as in depth, as say a Bit One, but you just need to make sure that you are presenting the ms-8 with the optimum conditions. Its just a case of changing a few parameters but you will cone to learn that its just trial and error. But eventually you will get the best results. You can definately do it yourself, no need for a professional!

Quote:
I've heard L7 on its own without any EQ etc and it sounds 10x better than BASE so with the right calibration and decent boot sub they could be enough.. but you're right, I'll always think "what if"...
I think anythings better than the base set up! But there is a better increase in SQ with Morels over the L7s. Maybe try and have a listen of an L7+ms-8 set up if you can. By the way if you can get the Hybrids for £275 then that would be worth considering.

Quote:
I'll def get a centre speaker and only know of the Vibe Slick 4 through B33M3R (Matt's) install thread!
I'll look into the Morel variety..
There are a few options available. You can even use an L7 speaker. The Morel coaxial does fit and sounds brilliant. But you could always try the Vibe and see how it sounds.

Quote:
Yeah I've seen MrSingh's thread but must refresh my memory on it once again.. How does the MS8 get connected with the standard speakers? Does it require a special harness as such as I don't want to tap into OEM wires.
On the subject of wires.. Would I need the 4/4 TECHNIC Harness or 4/6 harness for the purpose of my install? Any clues? Technic has those two variations but I'm not sure :-(... yeah not gonna fret over rear speakers and in fact won't even bother changing them.. they can stay OEM .. all about the front end babayyy and of course the Boot Sub!
The ms-8 needs 2 speaker level inputs (or 4 if you have PDC). The best way to do this is to get a Technic Harness. Output side you would use Technic's harness for the front mids and rears, and use his woofer jumpers to split the woofers as they are connected in parallel as stock. You will have to run new wires to the ms-8 for the centre and woofers. If you amp, simply use RCAs from ms-8 to amp for each channel, and then connect technics harness and your new wiring to the amp output. Not really sure what you mean by 4/4 or 4/6. If you mean channels then 4/4 would be the one. So from HU you grab 4 channels (FL FR RL RR) and then comes back to HU and into the car's wiring. The other 3 new channels you would wire separately as said above. But just send Technic a PM detailing exactly what you are doing and he will send you the right one.

Quote:
Oh cool, So I need a 6 channel for fronts (will this also power the tweets in line with the door components?) and a mono block for the sub in the boot? Will the monoblock only prove 1 channel or could I bridge and power 2 subs?
Well technically you would need 5 channels (FR FL WooferR WooferL and Centre), but with most 5 channel amps, the 5th channel is a sub one. But the XD will work perfectly. The components you buy will include a passive crossover, which you will have to install in the door or in the boot. This means only one channel is needed for the tweeer and mid range.
You can't bridge a mono amp, but you can wire up two subs in parallel. You would have to do this as you are using 7 channels in the car, and only have one ms-8 channel left. Just make sure the amp can handle the impedance. For eg two 4 ohm subs in parallel will present a 2 ohm load. This will fry an amp that isnt stable at 2 ohm!

Quote:
Lastly, what other subs are good other than the JL W7? I ask as not everyone has the option of getting w7's given its hefty price tag (even though I've been offered a very fair price off a forum member - you know who you are... I'm going to do my research and let you know but please feel free to post up on other mediums - thanks v much dude! :-) )?
This depends if you are a bass head freak or an SQ nut. Do you want so much bass that your boot rattles like crazy or nice deep bass which blends well with your mid bass? If you prefer SQ then you should get a corner sub box with a sub with the same optimum volume. A W6 has been used quite a bit and is a good musical sub. The Morel SC12 also has good ratings. This is something I will be doing in the future!

Quote:
True.. but what I did in the past was over a period of a few months, I collected / bought my items and that way it wasn't so bad. but I installed in one hit and that's what I want to do again :-D
Well you're not as impatient as me then! It probably is good to do it all in one go.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #101
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh yeahhhh babyyy!! Look what just arrived! 1st of many parcels being delivered for my audio which I'm now slowly starting to gather.... now need to start getting my components etc sorted - very unsure as to what to go for though! Anways, this and the M3 rear lip spoiler arrived and I felt like a kid in a candy shop... no pic of the M3 rear lip... I put that straight inside my car ready to put on over the weekend hopefully! Pics to follow!

Oh and sorry about my foot lolll - didn't realise it was taken in the pic .......... cut me some slack - it's a beautiful day so flip flops are allowed!!
Attached Images

09-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #102
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Didn't realise this was a foot fetish forum but I'm sure Will shall be along shortly to enjoy the picture ..
      09-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #103
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

:/ not liking the sound of Will lollllll

Just ripped open the M3 Lip spoiler deliever from Taiwan and I absolutely cannot recommend the seller B.C. Moto enough! Paint is spot on! He shipped it on Monday from Japan and its with me today (5 working days its here from Japan).. seller also gave me tracking number which was gave live updates and kept regular communication!

Needless to say he'll be getting 5* feedback and if anyone is unsure about getting stuff from him.... don't! Probably the best £40 (incl PnP) I'll ever spend on the car LOL. Lots and lots of good reviews for him from the US members too hence why I went with him.

The lip also comes with 3M tape on and other strong adhesive stuff which I've not actually looked into!

Pics will follow on the weekend..

Last edited by AWBimmer; 09-07-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #104
-TARBY-
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 07 330d M Sport Saloon 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Didn't realise this was a foot fetish forum but I'm sure Will shall be along shortly to enjoy the picture ..

09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #105
-TARBY-
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 07 330d M Sport Saloon 6 Speed

Quote:
:/ not liking the sound of Will lollllll

Just ripped open the M3 Lip spoiler deliever from Taiwan and the seller I absolutely cannot recommend the sell B.C. Moto enough! Paint is spot on! He shipped it on Monday from Japan and its with me today (5 working days its here from Japan).. seller also gave me tracking number and kept regular communication!

Needless to say he'll be getting 5* feedback and if anyone is unsure about getting stuff from there.... don't! Probably the best £40 (incl PnP) I'll ever spend on the car LOL.

Pics will follow on the weekend..
Based on that I have just ordered the M3 boot lip and AC style roof brow for mine....

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #106
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Great stuff Tarby! You won't be disappointed!
      09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #107
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Oh yeahhhh babyyy!! Look what just arrived! 1st of many parcels being delivered for my audio which I'm now slowly starting to gather.... now need to start getting my components etc sorted - very unsure as to what to go for though! Anways, this and the M3 rear lip spoiler arrived and I felt like a kid in a candy shop... no pic of the M3 rear lip... I put that straight inside my car ready to put on over the weekend hopefully! Pics to follow!

Oh and sorry about my foot lolll - didn't realise it was taken in the pic .......... cut me some slack - it's a beautiful day so flip flops are allowed!!
Follow How Rudz system has been setup.
Get a good amp with 6 channles.
Later on if you want to add a sub in your trunk, you will be left with single channel in MS8 for additional sub.

HTH.
      09-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #108
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Excellent build thread, your doing some good mods to your car, look forward to reading on

Whats next?

Audi RS5 - Sold
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
BMW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #109
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
Excellent build thread, your doing some good mods to your car, look forward to reading on

Whats next?
Thanks mate - very nice of you to say that :-)

Immediate plan is to apply the M3 rear lip and source the aero lip to paint and put on and at the same time, colour code my grills to titanium silver and then continue to, slowly but surely, collect my audio equipment.

Will also at some point get bright white LED angels, remap and light tints and then continue to passively look for wheels in the background.

Lots to do but got a very good idea of the end 'article' so keen to keep treating her to the good stuff!

Problem is I MIGHT be changing jobs so could find myself working in London which means very little use of the D... which then means POSSIBLY an M3 E92 but that is not until next year if at all! Just good to know that it could actually be on the agenda!! Hahah
      09-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #110
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

M3 rear lip fitted in 5 minutes with a lil' precision and prep. Not the best pics as I'm no photographer but it just sets of the rear so nicely I cou;dn't be more happier with the rear now. Best £40 I've spent hands down!
Attached Images