Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS sensor keeps going off....

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

TPMS sensor keeps going off....

So after I got my front tires changed and an alignment, while going over a speed bump, the TPMS sensor came on. It first flashes multiple times, then it remained on solid.

Over the two weeks, it will turn off for a day or two, and randomly comes on, flashing first, then stays on solid. I checked the iDrive every time, and it has read TPMS 'inactive' and TPMS 'malfunction'. I did notice a pattern though, it usually comes on faster on days that are hotter, like 70 degrees or more, and generally stays on all day. Sometimes, on cooler days, it still comes on, but will once in a while turn itself off.

I also went back to America's Tire Co., where I had the front tires replaced and they had checked EVERYTHING such as tire pressure and with the handheld device that can read the TPMS externally and the tire pressure, they even went as far as changing ALL four TPMS rebuild kit, and still no luck. Right now, I'm literally out of ideas as to where it might have gone wrong. I've always gotten tires from America's Tire Co. for as long as I can remember, and NEVER EVER had this issue, so this was the first.

They even offered to foot the bill and told me to take it to the dealership and have them try to diagnose the problem.

If anyone has ever experienced this, please chime in.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

TPMS are battery based and last about 5 years I think. Since your car is an '08, perhaps they need to be replaced (and not jus the rebuild kit).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige
TPMS are battery based and last about 5 years I think. Since your car is an '08, perhaps they need to be replaced (and not jus the rebuild kit).
Do you know what type of battery it takes? I hope it's just a typical battery that can be bought at most stores, and not some BMW proprietary batteries....lol.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think they're epoxy sealed units and have to be replaced completely. I don't know if theres a good way to confirm thats actually the issue though. Maybe ask the shop if their TPMS meters/checkers say anything about battery voltage?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige
I think they're epoxy sealed units and have to be replaced completely. I don't know if theres a good way to confirm thats actually the issue though. Maybe ask the shop if their TPMS meters/checkers say anything about battery voltage?
The person who tested the TPMS with their meter showed me what he was looking at, and it didn't show the strength of the battery, only the PSI....I'm wondering if there is a meter that read the battery strength as well, actually, come to think of it, when I did the research a couple weeks ago, I saw one that someone had one that read the battery strength....I just don't think that America's Tire Co. has that one....sigh.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Gerry@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

There is a tool that can read the battery life of the sensors. It does seem that the America's Tire that you went to may not have it. You can call to another shop in your area and see if they do it (someone should), or you can also take it to the dealer. If the battery life of the sensors are found to be ok, then something else could be triggering the system.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Do you guys know of a good place to get the TPMS sensors in case I really do need to change the batteries on that thing?

I just called America's Tire Co. and checked, and they said all their store have the same gauge that reads the TPMS sensor, which can't read the battery strength.....sigh

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Do you guys know of a good place to get the TPMS sensors in case I really do need to change the batteries on that thing?
Gary@TireRack sells them directly: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53729
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
TexE90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

I have had this problem for a while now. Replaced a sensor. Didn't do squat. Replaced the control unit. Didn't do squat. Maybe I need to replace the other 3 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya, mine TPMS sensor light came on after the front tires were replaced, coincidentally. So I'm hoping/assuming that it's one of the two sensors on my front tires, and not all four. Too bad I don't know any shops here locally with a gauge that reads battery strength on those.

Maybe I do have to take it to the dealership? I'm assuming that they would have the appropriate gauge there to read the battery strength......

If anyone has theirs read at the dealership, please chime in and confirm.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I called a local BMW dealership and asked if they have the gauge that reads the battery life on the TPMS sensors, and of course, they want me to make an appointment and charge me the min of 1 hr diagnostic fee, which is $120. I laughed and turned them down.

They said they were going to use the diagnostic tool which hooks up to the OBDII port and read it from there. They didn't have the wireless handheld device, I asked.

So where would be the best place to find such handheld device that reads the battery life on my TPMS sensor? America's Tire Co. is outta the question, they don't have it.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
I think a BT scan tool or INPA should be able to pinpoint which sensor(s) is/are malfunctioning for you. I had this happen, but it was because the guy who repainted my front bumper didn't plug the sensors back in inside the wheel well.
      08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!!

So after all that fiasco, America's Tire Co. stood by their word and took care of me. It ended up being that one or multiple TPMS sensors were low on battery, hence the constant TPMS light that comes one when I drive. So they placed an order for FOUR new TPMS sensors and replaced them. Mind you, they only replaced the two front tires this time around, so essentially, they weren't obligated to swap out ALL four TPMS sensors, if anything, just two of them, and they did it anyway.

So the problem is gone, and I'm a happy camper with FOUR new TPMS sensors!! Free of charge....

That's what I call AWESOME customer service.............America's Tire Co. FTW!!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

wow that's definitely A+ customer service!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
ao125
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328Xi Coupe

How much are TPMS sensors typically to replace? My TPMS light started coming on every once in a while after a recent trip over an extremely bumpy road. It's irritating as hell.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
How much are TPMS sensors typically to replace? My TPMS light started coming on every once in a while after a recent trip over an extremely bumpy road. It's irritating as hell.
When I did my research, it seems to cost about $50 per sensor, give or take.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Does the BT tool read TPMS voltage?

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Most tire shops now have scan tools that will read them shouldn't be more than $40, and some do it free.

http://www.thetpmsforum.com/forum.php

Last edited by Brian@bavarianx; 09-26-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

My TPMS system went off for low pressure. Tire seems fine though. Reset and it's been a couple of days. No issue so far. Is this a quirk to the TPMS? No changes made since I bought new rims/tires and it's been 5K miles or so my current tires.