E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My e92 M-Sport: Re-chip, BBK & Quaife by Speed Religion

10-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Talking My e92 M-Sport: Re-chip, BBK & Quaife by Speed Religion

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just returned from collecting my car from Speed Religion - all I can say is I now have a like Cheshire cat and I suspect it might be staying there for some time!!

Anthony, Mark and the guys (sorry I don't know other peoples names) have turned a basically good car into something a bit special and have made the car come alive, although the new Vredestein tyres which have yet to be scrubbed in are still...ahem...a bit slippy, as Ant and I found out on our road test

The mods included: Stage II OBD re-map, K&N air filter, straight through stainless performance exhaust with 335D style twin outlet, BMW BBK front & rear (recode at BMW), Goodridge hoses throughout, Quaife LSD (Torque Biasing). Plus a new set of non RFT's - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres all-round (235/35 R19 & 265/30 R19) and stripping/re-powder coating of the 225M alloys - just to make it look mint.

The only pics I have at the moment are a quick one of the car and some of the BBK (more to follow another time):
Name:  DSCF0043.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  209.5 KB

Name:  Performance_front_brake_kit.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Performance_rear_brake_kit.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  44.5 KB

I'll give more feedback on the performance, braking and the tyres as soon as I've bedded things in.....happy days.

A big thank you to Anthony and everyone at Speed Religion - thoroughly good bloke and a top outfit. I'm always a bit dubious when I leave a car with someone: I'm a perfectionist as Anthony knows but thankfully so is he, so the car was in good hands. Highly recommended.

I should be fitting an M3 lip spoiler this weekend (from Teddy at SSDD) and other possible mods on the horizon include: Slightly wider wheels with a deeper rear dish (BBS CH or CSL style), possibly KW suspension (although I may leave it with the M-Sport set-up for a while) and maybe a Vorsteiner CF bonnet & boot to round off the more aggressive look.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Very impressive, well done, I bet it feels like a different car? Is it a 330d?

The alloys will set it off a treat. I may have a set of 19" BBS LM reps for sale if you are interested, they are in excellent condition.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
Very impressive, well done, I bet it feels like a different car? Is it a 330d?

The alloys will set it off a treat. I may have a set of 19" BBS LM reps for sale if you are interested, they are in excellent condition.

Jules.
Thanks Jules,

No it's a 325D but it now feels more like a real BMW and is more akin to the Alpina's and other stuff I've had in the past....except that you also get unbelievable economy to boot

The LM's are very nice but I'm going for a different look, more of a concave dish to the rear rim - like CSL style or an M3 fitment BBS CH (if there weren't the clearance issues) - I have looked at VMR CSL's but Ant is also working on a possible solution...

Thanks again

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Early xmas pressie for you then! Some good mods there and proper brakes.

Were your rear tyres already worn then or did you just fancy a change to non-RFT's to compliment the mods?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Sounds great Mark - just keep it looking like that....

as if you wouldn't ....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Early xmas pressie for you then! Some good mods there and proper brakes.

Were your rear tyres already worn then or did you just fancy a change to non-RFT's to compliment the mods?
Thanks BB,

No, the car has only done about 4,000 miles but I wasn't happy with the way the RFT's felt and the fact that they gave such an uncompliant ride and tended to hop, skip and crash over the slightest bump, which just upset the cars handling.

The thought of putting lots more power through them was a non starter and the reported issues with cracks in some of the 225M wheels convinced me to change for non RFT's.

Early days but the ride already feels a million miles better and although I may have sacrificed a tiny bit of steering feel and might get slightly worse economy, IMO the trade off is worth it for keeping the tyre in contact with the road for more of the time.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Sounds great Mark - just keep it looking like that....as if you wouldn't ....
Cheers Chris,

ahh, you know me so well

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Very, very nice! Looks superb.

Loving the BBK... Hmmm christmas is almost with us... I think perhaps I might need a set on the front of mine. Anyone know if they fit the 330 petrol?

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Good stuff Mark,you have the full compliment there,I'm missing the K&N filter for the 335D which hopefully Ant will have soon.

Has Ant been able to source the upgraded Pagid's yet?

I'm expecting a transporter of Eastern Europeans shortly and with my half of the proceeds,I'll be able to afford the pads,hoses and filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post

Anyone know if they fit the 330 petrol?

J.
Yes:

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-pe...ucts-381-c.asp
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok stupid queston time is that for calipers, pads and discs?

I'm hoping your going to tell me no or my credit cards going to get a battering.

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok stupid queston time is that for calipers, pads and discs?

I'm hoping your going to tell me no or my credit cards going to get a battering.

J.
Full kit J.

If you really want to hit the cards, go for the Goodridge hoses and the upgraded Pagid pads (not as yet available)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Spec is coming along nicely Mark - look forward to seeing it sometime

Still gonna take you up on your offer of some help with my polishing machine at some time and your car will be nicely bedded in by then

The BBK looks awesome - do the 225m's hide the calipers too much or can they still be seen?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Thanks Jules,

No it's a 325D but it now feels more like a real BMW and is more akin to the Alpina's and other stuff I've had in the past....except that you also get unbelievable economy to boot

The LM's are very nice but I'm going for a different look, more of a concave dish to the rear rim - like CSL style or an M3 fitment BBS CH (if there weren't the clearance issues) - I have looked at VMR CSL's but Ant is also working on a possible solution...

Thanks again
The VMR CSL's are a good looking wheel I had a look at these myself.......however it sounds like Ant may be able to source you the real deal in a set of CSL's?.....definitely suit the E90/1/2/3.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Wow what an upgrade!!!!!

Good luck with the 'new' car
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Hotcoupe: Thanks for all your replies, one final question do you know what recoding is required when fitting these?

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all - sorry for the tardy reply......trying to make some money now

Thanks for all your comments - feeling very loved up..

In answer to your questions:

Married Blonde: Thanks - I think Hot Coupe has answered most of your questions (sorry I wasn't around). The re-coding would be a good idea if you get the front and rear (as it affects the interaction of the DSC system) but if you go for the front only then it would not be so necessary to re-code - in fact I don't think Ants' car has been re-coded and he has the fronts fitted. Oh and I can definitely recommend the Goodridge hoses as well - go for it!!

Hotcoupe: Thanks - Mine has the original BMW BBK pads at the mo (which I'll keep on over the winter) but I think Ant has the Pagid pads available now if you want them, although I think he may baulk at accepting payment in Bulgarians

RedE93: Thanks - No, the 225M's don't hide the calipers too much, although the CSL style rims would give a better view. Regarding the polishing: No problem, but if we do it over the winter, do you have a space heater? Gonna be bloody cold otherwise

Jude/Jules: I like the CSL style (with the concave dish at the rear) but we're not sure whether the OEM CSL wheels will fit on an E92 as the offset isn't right. Encee tried a set on his SE and they rubbed when cornering hard but I am wondering whether the M-Sport models (which have a different geometry) might be OK.. Anthony has a spare set if anyone with an M-Sport wants to try them - unfortunately I didn't have time to try them on mine.

Ant is also investigating an engineering solution but it's secret squirrels at the moment , so I'll let him tell you when he's ready.

The other alternative in the short term is the VMR CSL wheels, which come with the right offset for the e92 - for right now I'm happy with the 225M's - I'll see how Ant gets on with his solution in the next few months and if not, then I'll consider buying a set of VMR's (before considering what mods to do for phase II).

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Mark,

Can you get some pics up of the side profile and a closer one showing the caliper thought the front rims please?

Getting very close to ordering a front kit, that'll be delivered to my parents house and magically appear on my car without my wife needing to know

Thanks,

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mark,

Can you get some pics up of the side profile and a closer one showing the caliper thought the front rims please?

Getting very close to ordering a front kit, that'll be delivered to my parents house and magically appear on my car without my wife needing to know

Thanks,

J.
A couple of quick pics, through the wheels and looking at the side - hope they help.

Name:  20081031_1.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  219.8 KB

Name:  20081031_2.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  367.8 KB

Oh and before anyone mentions it - yes, I know the characters on the caps aren't lined up with the M badges....I only picked it up yesterday, so give me a chance

I'm hoping to wash and seal the wheels with Poorboys this weekend if I have time....

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hotcoupe: Thanks - Mine has the original BMW BBK pads at the mo (which I'll keep on over the winter) but I think Ant has the Pagid pads available now if you want them, although I think he may baulk at accepting payment in Bulgarians
No probs Mark.

Tony (not Ant) and I deal in all nationalities, so I'm sure we could come to some agreement over payment.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #21
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh and before anyone mentions it - yes, I know the characters on the caps aren't lined up with the M badges....I only picked it up yesterday, so give me a chance
Noooooooooo, please tell me you ARE joking
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
No probs Mark.

Tony (not Ant) and I deal in all nationalities, so I'm sure we could come to some agreement over payment.
Appreciate 0