E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Final Review of ESS Flash

03-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
First, too bad about your experience with the ESS flash. However, you should practice what you preach.
+1 the other side of the story is very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I'm glad Todd posted up his thoughts and side of the story. He's
Always been gracious and helpful, and I don't want anyone to think worse of him because this didn't work out for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

That was straight-up of the vendor to post his version of what happened. It comes down different expectations between Vendor and Customer. The customer wanted something quick and stable, the vendor wanted customer presence and was willing to work out any issues.

If the OP had a little more patience and the vendor communicated the process a little better, we'd be reading a glowing review right now most likely.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #26
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
This is a "just the facts ma'am" review, and I leave the reader to make their own conclusion. I'd like to ask people to refrain from flaming, bashing, or tuner vs tuner, and I'd also like to ask vendors to stay 100% neutral, or not post.

Many of you probably read my first review. If not, here are cliffs: awesome drivability, no lag, super smooth, great torque, awesome part trottle controlability, but ~4-5 psi low, and cat issues. I wasnthe first USA catless stage 3 msd81 car, so didn't have an issue with it.

Todd contacted me three weeks after first installing the tune to tell me that the updated flash was working. Sent in the dme, got it back three days later and rushed to put it in my car. I hit the start button annnnddd... nothing. The car won't turn over. I called Todd, and he told me AR Design had the same issue, as did his msd80 car, but they had worked around it on his car. I told Todd, it wasn't his fault, and that I wouldn't make a stink on the boards about it.

Two days later, I asked for a reflash to stock/refund, and he said no problem. Sent the dme in, and I get an email from Todd that it's been shipped back, buy with the wrong program (the new and improved stage 3) because of a screw up. I was pissed, as I had attached instructions to the dme, but I still did not intend to post anything on the boards, because, hey, shit happens, right?

Fast forward two and a half week, girlfriend checks bank account. No refund. I called and emailed Todd, no response by that afternoon, so she decided to contact the banks consumer services division to contest the charge. The bank has issued a refund. That was three days ago and still no word from ESS.

I've been careful not to bash, hate, or flame. Just the facts, and I think I've been cheritable. I believe it is tough to get it right with a mail order flash. I'd ask the community to refrain from flames or bashing.

Thanks.
what stage did you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #28
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post

ESS:
With everything you mentioned regarding shipping the DME back and forth (on your dime), paying for the dyno, AR Designs having the same problem (before this issue!) and the fix being so quick and easy ......... I, as is the OP, would have been upset too!

I would have expected that, as a customer, any shipping would have been covered by your company, period. Your product, your mistake (wrong flash) as well as issues that you, as a company, were seemingly aware of prior to sending the flashed DME to the OP (AR Design experienced the same issues). If ESS was able to rectify the problem(s) within minutes with regard to AR Design then why wasn't this problem "fixed" before the OP received his flash?

Kudos to ESS for getting their tuner to AR Design to fix the problem. I wonder ......had another vendor/company not been involved in this would ESS have gone to that type of expense for a single customer?
AR Designs and Chuck's non-start DMEs arrived on the same day. Within 24 hours, the tuner was on his way to Colorado (closer to AZ than Chuck in Jersey for same cause) and within 10 minutes of arrival, the car was up and running and catless. The cause was not known before hand. And yes, if AR hadn't been involved, the tuner would have flown out to Chuck.

For as long as ESS has been in business and before we homed in the US, we have sent tuners/engineers over from Norway to assist customers at their homes. It is far from cheap (thousands each time), but we do it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
Tobias1980
Read the manual please, just do it before asking!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 328i, F55 Cooper

Any Stage 4 news?

BR
/Tobias
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@ESS View Post
AR Designs and Chuck's non-start DMEs arrived on the same day. Within 24 hours, the tuner was on his way to Colorado (closer to AZ than Chuck in Jersey for same cause) and within 10 minutes of arrival, the car was up and running and catless. The cause was not known before hand. And yes, if AR hadn't been involved, the tuner would have flown out to Chuck.

For as long as ESS has been in business and before we homed in the US, we have sent tuners/engineers over from Norway to assist customers at their homes. It is far from cheap (thousands each time), but we do it anyway.
I thought maybe that was what had happened as the product is still extremely new to "our" market.

Glad everything seems to have been cleared up ......... your rep. is no longer tarnished in my eyes. Thanks for the clarification.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #31
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@ESS View Post

sounds like great customer service. I've been hearing some really good things about the company.
I might have to give this a try, but I am weary of sending my DME.
Appreciate 0