E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 3104: Uneven run/Stratified charge Where to start? HELP! :)

12-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
leutz
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 330i N53

3104: Uneven run/Stratified charge Where to start? HELP! :)

Hello everyone,

I will try to explain what happend to my BMW (e92 330i / N53 / 105k) last week and maybe some has any tips for me.

Bought the car a month ago, last week when I started it, there was a bad misfire from cylinder 1 + 3104: Uneven run/Stratified charge.

I wanted to test the cylinder, I swapped coils between 1 and 2 and then I got misfire from 1 and 2. After testing, I had a new ticking sound coming from the engine. I thought it's the coil and the spark plug from 1. I changed coils and plugs from 1 and 2 (just to be sure) with OEM ones.
Now I don't have any misfire but I still have that ticking noise and the error 3104: Uneven run/Stratified charge + a rough(ish) idle (the car is reaching normal idle and steady but with a few hiccups).

After doing some research everything lead to Nox sensor or Vanos.

I started cleaning the vanos (the cheapest option first) and after reinstalling them my car was back to normal with no error. This lasted a few minutes then the error, rough idle, loss(ish) of power (I can't tell if it's that or I'm just getting used with the car) and probably increased fuel consumption came back.

So, I thought to myself it's the vanos. I bought new Vanos (as they were due to be changed anyway) and they arrived today, I installed them after I cleaned the vanos filters and the same thing happened, after 10 minutes same symptoms.

On the service history I have injectors done 20k miles ago, I'm thinking now changing the other 4 plugs and coils to new ones and replacing the nox sensor, which is a bit expensive to do, especially after I just bought the car.

I've searched the forum but I couldn't find any similar situation. If anyone has any ideas on where to start or what should I change first, I would be very grateful.

Is it ok to replace the nox sensor, delete it or buy the NoxEm? Should I go to BMW for a diagnose? I'm using an Autel OBD atm.
Appreciate 0