E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rough idle 330i continued

01-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Myfirstbimma
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2007 E93

Question Rough idle 330i continued

Hi Guys

I have read through MANY rough idle posts but can't find an answer. heres some history on the issue.

i have a 330i e93 2007. Aprox 6 months ago an issue started where the car would rough idle and even stall regardless of the whether condition or how warm the car was. After many days in the mechanic, we had the O2 sensor changed which did not fix the issue but then found that it may be the breather valve. My breather valve(s) is connected to the rocker cover, which needed changing as a whole. Expensive part but was changed and the car no longer idled rough or would stall.

However, this left the car on what i believe to be a low idle. The car idles around 550-600 (many have said this is normal ish). with this issue i realise that when i am in drive and about to move off the car jumps instead of a smooth lift off. Please correct me but i assume this is due to a low idle so the engine tries to catch up.

Anyhow. main issue in addition to the low idle issue which i believe is connected is that now the rough idle has returned with the cold weather. The car now shakes and rough idles during cold start and fixes after 5-10 minutes of driving. This is worsened when the air con is on and switching into reverse gear.

recently had a full service and inspection which did not show any issues.

Please help. i am in dyer need to have this resolved and reinstate my trust in BMW's.

forgot to add. Before the breather valve was changed, i attempted to unplug and clean out the Vanos Solenoids which did not have a difference at the time. Could this be the issue now. I may be able to replace them myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Idle sounds kinda normal to me. Mine idles lower than most cars I've owned, but mine is a manual so not sure what is normal for an auto. You may want to try cleaning the maf sensor with maf cleaner spray - it's sold at pretty much every auto parts store. If that doesn't help you need to figure out if the engine is actually running rough or if it's something else like the motor mounts are allowing too much vibration- either could cause it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Nominal idle is 660, it is electronically controled and should be spot on. Less than 600 is not normal.

I would suspect the solenoid as well, but it also could be old plugs, old ignition coils, etc.

Have you had the car connected to a computer to read the BMW specific codes? Some may have been stored that cannot be read with a off the shelf code reader and would not trigger a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Is that 660 in drive on an auto too? Typically most cars drop a touch when put in gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
babek1
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I have a 2006 330i with 138k km (~86k miles) and I too have had somewhat rough idling. Mine comes and goes though and I noticed last year, and this year, in cold winter months my rough idling in Drive or Reverse is accompanied by some engine groaning sounds. I added a bit of BG MOA to the engine which seems to have gotten rid of some of the rough idling and groaning sounds.

I'm planning on getting my indy bmw shop to do a engine flush + add BG MOA to the new oil in the spring which I'm hoping will keep the rough idling at bay.

Just my 2 cents..
Appreciate 0