E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Suspension noise

02-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #67
tazbert
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

I've got a similar problem with a metal-on-metal clunking sound from the rear when I go over speedbumps. From all the reports on the board you'd think this was contagious or something . I guess it's off to Parkview I go....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #68
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icandie View Post
Speedstar installed the springs in the summer.. re: replicating the sound - that's a good question. i will try that - if it does, will that establish that its my springs that are causing the noise?
Amanda check the video in this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366460

if you have the same noise as in the vid then its due to your springs. I had it after few weeks of installing H&Rs in the passenger side. Rocco had to cut a bit of bump stop cover i think to remove the problem.
      02-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #69
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

Quote:
Speedstar installed the springs in the summer.. re: replicating the sound - that's a good question. i will try that - if it does, will that establish that its my springs that are causing the noise?
Sorry, haven't been active much. The previous post should help. As well if you can replicate it while sitting still, they should be able to replicate it on an alignment rack with a tech looking for it. Or heck, depending on how low you are with a tech laying on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #70
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

i cant see the video right now b/c its blocked (i'm at work), but i will check it out once i get home... Thanks for the help!!!
08 E92 Black Sapphire 328i / Cream Beige / 6MT / Sport / L7 / OEM Aero Lip / OEM M3 Rear Spoiler / OEM Matte Black Grills / Smoked Reflectors / MTEC H8 Super White Fogs / LUX H8 / H&R Sport / Breyton Race GTS

cream on the inside, clean on the outside ... i love my bmw
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #71
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Took my car in this past week and they replaced the sway bar bushings. So far no noise, but then again it hasn't been all that cold since I had it done.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #72
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335i Conve ...  [8.40]
Picked my car up today after having the HPFP recall done as well as an oil change and the front sway bar bushings replaced and I still notice the crunching sound however not as much as before.

Could the noise we are all hearing be faulty springs and mounts?

By the way I'm running on stock sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #73
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

OwnAge - I watched the video.. (lol.. sorry, but that was pretty bad. glad you got it sorted out!).

I cant replicate the sound by bouncing the car (maybe i'm not pushing down hard enough?).. But i'm thinking it must be the springs. I may take it to Speedstar again and see if they know what's up.
08 E92 Black Sapphire 328i / Cream Beige / 6MT / Sport / L7 / OEM Aero Lip / OEM M3 Rear Spoiler / OEM Matte Black Grills / Smoked Reflectors / MTEC H8 Super White Fogs / LUX H8 / H&R Sport / Breyton Race GTS

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #74
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Same here, on the cold days I've been noticing the noise more often on the larger bumps. I've got about 52000km now. I took it to my mechanic friend as I trust him and he test drove it over some speed bumps and stated that it was definately the sway bar bushings. Its more prevalent on the passenger front than the driver front. I've made an appt with Parkview to take it in for service - it is covered under 4yr warranty right?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #75
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

I really think we uncovered some type of underyling issue with our cars.

I have this same exact problem, a suspension clunk/rattle fromt he passenger side front. It only happens when i go over uneven roads. Mostly at the parking lot at my work. The drive to work theres no noise. As soon as i hit my parking lot, i hear the clunking. its really odd.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #76
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabman View Post
Same here, on the cold days I've been noticing the noise more often on the larger bumps. I've got about 52000km now. I took it to my mechanic friend as I trust him and he test drove it over some speed bumps and stated that it was definately the sway bar bushings. Its more prevalent on the passenger front than the driver front. I've made an appt with Parkview to take it in for service - it is covered under 4yr warranty right?
Yes, it's covered under the warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #77
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

I have a similar issue, which I first noticed about 3 weeks ago, but it seemed to be coming from the driver side. It is a clunking noise that is intermittent, when going over bumps on roads. Initially it sounded like a strut bottoming out (I have KW's), so I tried numerous times to replicate the sounds with the windows open. I haven't been able to replicate it...but from the sounds of people's posts, it appears that I have the same issue. I will have this checked out at my next (final) service. My factory warranty runs out in a month (I have CPO as well), so I'm trying to get as many things as I can fixed...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #78
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
Quote:
OwnAge - I watched the video.. (lol.. sorry, but that was pretty bad. glad you got it sorted out!).

I cant replicate the sound by bouncing the car (maybe i'm not pushing down hard enough?).. But i'm thinking it must be the springs. I may take it to Speedstar again and see if they know what's up.
May be u do need to push down harder. Come to Maple Ill jump on your hood to replicate the sound :P Which reminds me, ill try bounce my car see if I can replicate it without going on bumps.
I'd def give speedstar a call, see what they say

Its crazy how many ppl have the same problem.
      03-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #79
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Just an update, since getting my bushings replaced at the dealer last week, there has been no noise, even on the cold mornings we had earlier this week.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #80
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabman View Post
Got my bushings replaced under warranty at Parkview today. Amazing service there, took me first thing and was out in 1.5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #81
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
Quote:

Sit tight. I spoke to Desmond yesterday about my car still making noise after having the sway bar bushings replaced. The noise is better but not gone. My suspension is completely stock which could be good for your case Icandie.

Im taking it back in on the 16th for them to dig deeper. Once they find the issue once and for all I'll post an update.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #82
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNTHZST View Post
Sit tight. I spoke to Desmond yesterday about my car still making noise after having the sway bar bushings replaced. The noise is better but not gone. My suspension is completely stock which could be good for your case Icandie.

Im taking it back in on the 16th for them to dig deeper. Once they find the issue once and for all I'll post an update.
Thanks!! I shall eagerly await your update.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #83
platinumcars
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335

hey add me to the list of the front suspension noise (almost like a whoosh of air?) , car went in monday for 6 injectors oil change and installation of the bmw performance suspension, will check back later today after i drive it a bit and tell you if my issue was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #84
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have the exact same thing, whoosh of air with a small clunking sound over rapid small bumps around 30 mph or less.

I just had my front sway bar bushings replaced and the whole rack n pinion system for steering wheel play/noise.

So I think it has to be different than bushings...

PS I have Stock suspension, no sport or aftermarket with stock 16" rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #85
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
Just an update for you....my car has been at Toronto BMW since Wednesday morning (it's now Thursday evening).

Remember they replaced the front sway bar bushings a few weeks ago however as soon as I drove away from the dealer I heard the noise (all be it quieter), but none the less still there. Which brings us to yesterday evening.

The dealer calls me to say the car is ready. The SA (not Desmond) tells me they took the new sway bar bushings out and applied a little grease to them to quite them down then reinstalled them and took the car for a test drive on the route I picked out for them. The car is still making the noise at this point however the shop foreman tells me this is normal up and down travel of the spring (or maybe he said shock) I'm way too frustrated to listen to his BS At this point I ask to speak to the Service Managers Manager.

I take the manager for a test drive (actually he drove the car). I asked him if he was hearing what I heard, he replied, Yes We drive around for about 5 minutes and listened some more then headed back to the dealer.

The manager said he will personally take care of this matter from here on out. I was now starting to feel a little better about putting an end to this issue. I mean I have already wasted more time on this noise then I care to remember. For those of you who are still dealing with it after having your sway bar bushings replaced I'm sure you feel my pain.

Now to this afternoon...I get a call from the manager and he tells me they have ordered new suspension parts (I don't remember which one's) however they won't be in in time to get them installed today but he's quite sure the car will be ready on Friday.

After I pick up the car (hopefully tomorrow) I will post an update with the results as well as the exact parts replaced. I made it quite clear to the manager that I wasn't going to take my car home until I was satisfied so I'm sure he's not going to call me if the noise is still present.

to be continued......
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #86
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

hmm. Good luck - I certainly know the frustration. As i posted before, my car still makes the nosie even after having the sway bar bushings replaced, but since i have aftermarket suspension (H&R springs), i coulndt really force the issue, and i just felt lucky that they replaced the bushings.. HOWEVER, the noise is still as bad as ever and its driving me mental.. I wonder if i should give it another try after BMWNTHZST gets them to figure out what the problem is.. clearly, changing the bushings isn't working for everyone..

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #87
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
BMWNTHZST,

Yes please update us, I know my suspension is most likely different than your vehicles, but I bet its the same issue. If you read my post I can eliminate the noise coming from bushings OR the steering rack n pinion...

As soon as you know I will be making an appt as well, I just need to see if CPO covers it. I dont mind the $50 ded. as long as they fix it 100% right this time.

Over big bumps mine seems ok, its the rapid close together bumps that really bring out the noise for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #88
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNTHZST View Post
Just an update for you....my car has been at Toronto BMW since Wednesday morning (it's now Thursday evening).

Remember they replaced the front sway bar bushings a few weeks ago however as soon as I drove away from the dealer I heard the noise (all be it quieter), but none the less still there. Which brings us to yesterday evening.

The dealer calls me to say the car is ready. The SA (not Desmond) tells me they took the new sway bar bushings out and applied a little grease to them to quite them down then reinstalled them and took the car for a test drive on the route I picked out for them. The car is still making the noise at this point however the shop foreman tells me this is normal up and down travel of the spring (or maybe he said shock) I'm way too frustrated to listen to his BS At this point I ask to speak to the Service Managers Manager.

I take the manager for a test drive (actually he drove the car). I asked him if he was hearing what I heard, he replied, Yes We drive around for about 5 minutes and listened some more then headed back to the dealer.

The manager said he will personally take care of this matter from here on out. I was now starting to feel a little better about putting an end to this issue. I mean I have already wasted more time on this noise then I care to remember. For those of you who are still dealing with it after having your sway bar bushings replaced I'm sure you feel my pain.

Now to this afternoon...I get a call from the manager and he tells me they have ordered new suspension parts (I don't remember which one's) however they won't be in in time to get them installed today but he's quite sure the car will be ready on Friday.

After I pick up the car (hopefully tomorrow) I will post an update with the results as well as the exact parts replaced. I made it quite clear to the manager that I wasn't going to take my car home until I was satisfied so I'm sure he's not going to call me if the noise is still present.

to be continued......

It's Happy Friday and let me tell you what a Happy Friday it is...

I got a voice message at 10:30am this morning from the manager informing me that the noise was gone and my car was ready for pick up I couldn't believe it.

I picked up my car just after 5pm today. I took it for a test run and viola good as new (maybe better) To make an already long story short the car is fixed. The crunching noise is all gone

They replaced lots of parts way too many to type out for you so I've attached the list from my invoice. The pic includes part numbers and names.

They also did an alignment (I see that didn't show up on the work order I attached).

For those of you wondering how much it cost, the answer is...nothing! All the work was covered under warranty

By the way my car had just over 31,000km on it when this noise started happening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0