E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth kits and Power

05-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Meth kits and Power

Since my posts are being deleted I would like to show the community something.

My car bone stock went 13.6 @ 101.x mph in the 1/4 miles. The car had roughly 300 miles on it with the temps still on it. I used that for my baselines.

I fully bolted it, including meth, then had a fuel pump go out so I went back to stock. After my car was fixed, I simply put on the tune/dci/basic devils own meth kit since I did not want to deal with install/uninstall of more time consuming parts.

With just that set up(dci/meth/tune) I was able to go 12.3 @ 116mph on street tires. Picking up roughly 15mph in the trap at 17ish psi. I have many logs showing this, timing was perfect. I am amazed on what happens on this site latly, so here is a log of that 12.3 run. 93 octane plus meth on a do10 nozzle. Meth was activated by a basic on/off boost switch.

awesome
15mph trap gains sounds like ohhh about 120-130whp to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Maybe I've missed something but what is this post showing?
I thought you were using COBB.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Maybe I've missed something but what is this post showing?
A log of a 12.3 @ 116 run that was done with a dci/meth/tune. You can compare that to the stock baseline and come up with an idea of how much power you can expect from a basic meth kit at that boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

In fact what you are indirectly saying is that Shiv's new meth kit yields similar power to the basic meth kit you were running?
      05-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
A log of a 12.3 @ 116 run that was done with a dci/meth/tune. You can compare that to the stock baseline and come up with an idea of how much power you can expect from a basic meth kit at that boost pressure.
Is someone denying this or something?
Aren't you running COBB or did you revert back to Procede just for this test?

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
chili36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great gains and way less than 2k.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is someone denying this or something?
Aren't you running COBB or did you revert back to Procede just for this test?
This is an old set up. With the talk about meth kits making power, I am simply showing more data that they all make power.
And being that I cant say this in threads without my posts being deleted, I figured I would show it in my own thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
In fact what you are indirectly saying is that Shiv's new meth kit yields similar power to the basic meth kit you were running?
Thats up to the end user to decide. Personally I think and know it does.
Coolingmist/devilsown/hfs/snow ect can all make the same power and can be installed in under an hour.

I personally have it installed in the trunk and run meth lines underneath the car in fear of having a meth leak/pump inside a scorching hot engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
This is an old set up. With the talk about meth kits making power, I am simply showing more data that they all make power.
And being that I cant say this in threads without my posts being deleted, I figured I would show it in my own thread.
Now take that on/off meth kit and run it when your foot isn't either at 0 or 100%. That's where variable pressure meth systems don't work as their PWM counterparts. I understand that some people define performance by how well a car goes when it is being driven at WOT. But I think it's important to understand that many people still care about optimizing the other 99% of the driving conditions.

If you ever get a chance to drive an Aquamist or FJO meth injection kit, do so. It will be an eye opening experience for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Now take that on/off meth kit and run it when your foot isn't either at 0 or 100%. That's where variable pressure meth systems don't work as their PWM counterparts. I understand that some people define performance by how well a car goes when it is being driven at WOT. But I think it's important to understand that many people still care about optimizing the other 99% of the driving conditions.

If you ever get a chance to drive an Aquamist or FJO meth injection kit, do so. It will be an eye opening experience for you.
My boost is set up to spray at 6psi, kinda easy to make 6 psi. So it has sprayed multiple times at only 6psi as an on off switch.

You know the good thing about this car? Stock the boost goes to 8, so timing is optimized up to 8psi at all throttle angles. Anything above that is where you need to tune. Maybe you drive at 9/10/11 psi around corners for hours on end, but if im over 8-9psi I am floored and my meth kit is spraying.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I agree with you.
What makes me laugh sometimes is when people ask me, "You run meth with GIAC? I didn't know they supported that."
It's like running a meth kit takes a NASA engineer.
All methanol does is let you run higher boost and more timing safely. (just like race gas)

The only difference that I see with various kits is fail safe devices, but one kit will not make more power than the other

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you.
What makes me laugh sometimes is when people ask me, "You run meth with GIAC? I didn't know they supported that."
All methanol does is let you run higher boost and more timing safely. (just like race gas)

The only difference that I see with various kits is fail safe devices, but one kit will not make more power than the other
AMEN brother. People forget this is a closed loop fuel car. You will not bog it, you do not need to tune specially for it. Its all bullshit. I ran progressive and on/off on this car there is ZERO difference.

My previous set up, I used 30x30 tables, after the recal work I used a 20 dollar on off switch. Mario Andretti couldnt tell the difference.

I made a post about running meth on cobb a couple days ago and got a couple pms, OMG how do u run meth on cobb. Things like that frighten me lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Coolingmist/devilsown/hfs/snow ect can all make the same power and can be installed in under an hour.

I personally have it installed in the trunk and run meth lines underneath the car in fear of having a meth leak/pump inside a scorching hot engine.
Clear trade-offs as to location of tank given its methanol's flammability in concentrations greater than 50/50.

Given this safety concern, I'm ok with location in engine compartment -- on the other side of the firewall -- but might run 50/50 instead of 80/20.

I'd happily give up a little power for the additional safety.

Just my 2 cents!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Clear trade-offs as to location of tank given its methanol's flammability in concentrations greater than 50/50.

Given this safety concern, I'm ok with location in engine compartment -- on the other side of the firewall -- but would run 50/50 and not 80/20.

I'd happily give up a little power for the additional safety.

Just my 2 cents!

Neil
Up to the end user to decide what meth ratio they want to run obviously. However I would be sort of hesitant to pull that windshield washer stalk and spray whatever mix you are running onto your windshield/headlights/fenders/hood and roof
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
I agree with you.

You can easily run a boost bypass solenoid with a flash tune with the typical flow sensor / failsafe as well, ensuring you have that margin of safety running meth. Yes, the piggybacks IMO do meth integration far better, but it's not the challenge it's made out to be. I mean, heck, look at all those STi guys running meth without a problem.

I still don't understand why people preach progressive meth kits or whatever gimmicky controller out there on this platform. This DME is closed loop; target an AFR, it hits that AFR. With excess fuel (in this example, excessive meth injection) the DME will dump fuel to hit the targeted AFR. Spray meth too early, guess what the DME does. Not rocket science.
      05-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:

Why not through the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Why not through the car?
You really want a volatile substance running through the cabin of a car? I sure as hell don't. I work for the epa and we have air quality controllers we use for safety on superfund sites. For shits and giggles I cracked the lid to my meth tank and hovered the PID above it. OSHA regs state anything over 2 ppm for a sustained 2 min, you must evacuate the site. I hit 9999 and broke the PID.....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Carbs work well enough too. They kept drivers satisfied for decades. Then when fuel injection came out, things drive better and made more power. And did so under a wider range of driving conditions. An on/off meth kit that sprays the same amount of meth at 8psi as it does at 18psi and then dribbles as it comes on and turns off may be good enough for some people. And that is perfectly fine. But as with most technologies, you can improve upon it. And thankfully so. This is what Aquamist has been doing for years. And this is also why people who have switched over to Aquamist from other systems have never gone back. It isn't because these people like spending more money. But rather because the cars drive better, use less meth, and don't "fail". Over the next few weeks/months, there will be many PWM meth kits hitting the street. If you get a chance, take a drive in one and see if you can feel a difference. I think some people tend to resist change. And that isn't a terrible thing at times. But when change is for the better, it's only a matter of time before they have to change their mind.

On a personal note, I was one of the people who didn't fully appreciate Aquamist's approach to meth/water injection. As a matter of fact, if you go back over a decade ago, you'll find online debates between me and Richard Lamb (owner/found of Aquamist) about the merits of water/meth injection. After I gained more first hand experience over the course of the next several years, I finally understood/realized the benefits of water/meth injection. And another few years after that, I realize the benefits of controlling it like fuel (ie, constant pressure, PWM metered). I'm more stubborn that most people. But it's hard to stare at the detail and not eventually change your mind.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 05-06-2011 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Why not through the car?
I do it outside the car as well, if the line rubs on the interior panels long enough and eventually develops a crack or hole, you will have a major headache (literally).

At least if the line is damaged on the outside, it gets dumped outside without you inhaling those fumes.

I doubt anyone will have a meth kit in for the years it may take for this rare occurrence, but better safe than sorry.
      05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Carbs work well enough too. They kept drivers satisfied for decades. Then when fuel injection came out, things drive better and made more power. And did so under a wider range of driving conditions. An on/off meth kit that sprays the same amount of meth at 8psi as it does at 18psi and then dribbles as it comes on and turns off may be good enough for some people. And that is perfectly fine. But as with most technologies, you can improve upon it. And thankfully so. This is what Aquamist has been doing for years. And this is also why people who have switched over to Aquamist from other systems have never gone back. It isn't because these people like spending more money. But rather because the cars drive better, use less meth, and don't "fail". Over the next few weeks/months, there will be many PWM meth kits hitting the street. If you get a chance, take a drive in one and see if you can feel a difference. I think some people tend to resist change. And that isn't a terrible thing at times. But when change is for the better, it's only a matter of time before they have to change their mind.
Can you show quantifiable data to support your statements? Timing logs maybe? PWM kits might in fact work better on cars that use closed/open loop system. However this is a FAST acting closed loop system, meaning everything you just said, gets sorted out by the ecu before you blink an eye.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
You really want a volatile substance running through the cabin of a car? I sure as hell don't. I work for the epa and we have air quality controllers we use for safety on superfund sites. For shits and giggles I cracked the lid to my meth tank and hovered the PID above it. OSHA regs state anything over 2 ppm for a sustained 2 min, you must evacuate the site. I hit 9999 and broke the PID.....
Wow. I wonder what 2 minutes of breathing that in would do to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow. I wonder what 2 minutes of breathing that in would do to you.
if you stick your nose in the meth tank for 2 min, you would simply pass out in under 30 seconds lol
Appreciate 0