E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Took 5 tries to start this morning..

01-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #23
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

Car started no problem this morning.

Hope everyone else made out okay. Stay warm out there!
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
Wow.. it's insane this morning. My house thermostat is at 26 and I can still feel the cold. I do not look forward to getting in the car soon.

Edit: only two tries, and the first try it almost started. The worst part has to be the clutch feel, before the car is at operating temps.
Sounds like you need a new furnace or some better insulation.

You guys in Ontario probably don't get bad enough winters on the regular to go full retard with winter car prep. But over here in Alberta where the winters are total shit for a good portion of it every year. Battery blanket, oil pan heating pad, and a 0w oil are all on the to do list for sure.

Battery blanket would probably be the best investment They are cheap, and you can just plug them in when the forecast says it's going to be really cold. Will keep your battery from freezing which is what gives those slow cranks even when the battery is new. Oil pan heater is the same deal, just plug it in when you need it. Costs around 130$. And it will get your oil up to operating temp much quicker which is especially good for us turbocharged guys.

0w oil costs you nothing since you need to do oil changes anyway. Just get it switched on your last oil change before winter hits. Oil keeps its viscosity at lower temps, so it's much easier for the pump to force through all the oil galleries and start lubricating all your top end components much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Sounds like you need a new furnace or some better insulation.

You guys in Ontario probably don't get bad enough winters on the regular to go full retard with winter car prep. But over here in Alberta where the winters are total shit for a good portion of it every year. Battery blanket, oil pan heating pad, and a 0w oil are all on the to do list for sure.

Battery blanket would probably be the best investment They are cheap, and you can just plug them in when the forecast says it's going to be really cold. Will keep your battery from freezing which is what gives those slow cranks even when the battery is new. Oil pan heater is the same deal, just plug it in when you need it. Costs around 130$. And it will get your oil up to operating temp much quicker which is especially good for us turbocharged guys.

0w oil costs you nothing since you need to do oil changes anyway. Just get it switched on your last oil change before winter hits. Oil keeps its viscosity at lower temps, so it's much easier for the pump to force through all the oil galleries and start lubricating all your top end components much quicker.
I've pretty much chalked it up to a poorly insulated attic. The main floor is toasty (even the basement isn't too bad), but the second floor is pretty cold in the winter. The last time I checked, I think the attic insulation was just some half assed spray foam. Once the weather gets better I'll take care of it.
Appreciate 0