E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage II DYNO w/ AFE Intake!!! *Bimmer Performance Store*

08-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #45
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08/JB/E92

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
yeah i had that strut brace and before i could go 2 miles i turned around and had the dealer uninstall it and return it.. it rattled too much against the stock airbox and is not made for the 335.. that brace sucks!!!

You said it ............ however .......

the brace IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THE E92/E93 335i as there is not enough clearance with the OEM air intake installed. It is suitable for the E90 however.

The fact that the dealer installed this for you tells me they knew better and did it anyway.

The only way the strut brace is able to fit and be properly utilized on the coupes is with the absence of the OEM filter and the addition of an aftermarket CAI.

P.S. There is a DIY within this forum showing the addition of washers at the mounts to increase the height thus giving enough clearance over the OEM filter. I'm unsure whether or not this subtracts from the overall strength of the brace.

Last edited by mnkybiznes; 08-09-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #46
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Ya beat me to it ......
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #47
LYLE LUKAS
Banned
Rep
Drives: Black and Sexy

How did you get the AFE intake so early from BPS, i thought they didnt even receive them yet??
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #48
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYLE LUKAS View Post
How did you get the AFE intake so early from BPS, i thought they didnt even receive them yet??
The kit was literally sent from aFe the day they finished building the filters. Bob stayed on top of things and was able to have them 2nd day air it to me at no additional cost ..... free shipping rocks! From what I've been told I have one of the first three available ....

I'm sure the other 2 kits went to stores/suppliers .... Actually, you may have one of them!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 01:31 AM   #49
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

Thoughts on the aFe 51-11472

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkybiznes View Post
The kit was literally sent from aFe the day they finished building the filters. Bob stayed on top of things and was able to have them 2nd day air it to me at no additional cost ..... free shipping rocks! From what I've been told I have one of the first three available ....

I'm sure the other 2 kits went to stores/suppliers .... Actually, you may have one of them!
Hi Guys,

I paid to 2nd day air the intake to mnkybiznes because he promised to do an totally unbiased dyno ASAP. I wanted to get the dyno for 2 reasons:
  1. People are naturally skeptical, so I wanted 3rd party performance results to add validity to the claims and results aFe got on their dyno. If confirmed by independent testing, this intake will be the hottest new product currently available for the N54 engine.
  2. Before I committed to buying and stocking a bunch of these, I wanted to know that it is as good as I think it is. There is a certain amount of risk for a retailer to be an early adopter with a new product. If his independent testing confirms what he feels, then I'll go all out stocking these as fast as I can get them. For me, his the 2nd day air shipping fee was an investment in info to help me with smart inventory management.

BPS has been a premier aFe dealer since we started, and I can personally attest that my E46 M3 has lost something from midrange to redline since I started parting it out and took off my aFe Stage 1 intake.

I saw my new E92 M3 today. It got delivered to the dealership, so I went and visited it and took some pictures. My usual luck prevailed, and it showed up on Saturday, when the service department is closed, so I have to wait until Monday to get her. I've already talked to aFe about lending it to them after the break-in period for an intake. From past experience, and years of feedback from our customers, I guarantee I'll be putting an aFe intake on it as soon as possible.

I'll post this in my for sale thread, too. I have tracking info on our stocking shipment of aFe intakes. They were shipped on Friday, and will be delivered and I will have shipping labels ready to go when the guy in the brown truck shows up on Monday. There are a couple of intakes still available in the Pro Dry version. I did not order any of the oiled filter version. If you want to get one faster than ground, you can pay the difference between the free ground shipping I'm offering and the actual cost of faster air shipping.

If you want an intake this week, please go online and place your order before the last 4 are gone. I will probably be available only for a couple of hours early on Monday and then will be at the dealership signing papers and picking up my new E92 M3. Check out the pic below. I'M JOINING THE E9X CLUB!!!

Bob

Note: suspension is still block, tow hook covers are not on, plastic on the seats, cardboard in the doors, but I got to drive it about 25 feet...took some pics and parked it. WOO HOO!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #50
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
Hi Guys,

I paid to 2nd day air the intake to mnkybiznes because he promised to do an totally unbiased dyno ASAP. I wanted to get the dyno for 2 reasons:
  1. People are naturally skeptical, so I wanted 3rd party performance results to add validity to the claims and results aFe got on their dyno. If confirmed by independent testing, this intake will be the hottest new product currently available for the N54 engine.
  2. Before I committed to buying and stocking a bunch of these, I wanted to know that it is as good as I think it is. There is a certain amount of risk for a retailer to be an early adopter with a new product. If his independent testing confirms what he feels, then I'll go all out stocking these as fast as I can get them. For me, his the 2nd day air shipping fee was an investment in info to help me with smart inventory management.

BPS has been a premier aFe dealer since we started, and I can personally attest that my E46 M3 has lost something from midrange to redline since I started parting it out and took off my aFe Stage 1 intake.

I saw my new E92 M3 today. It got delivered to the dealership, so I went and visited it and took some pictures. My usual luck prevailed, and it showed up on Saturday, when the service department is closed, so I have to wait until Monday to get her. I've already talked to aFe about lending it to them after the break-in period for an intake. From past experience, and years of feedback from our customers, I guarantee I'll be putting an aFe intake on it as soon as possible.

I'll post this in my for sale thread, too. I have tracking info on our stocking shipment of aFe intakes. They were shipped on Friday, and will be delivered and I will have shipping labels ready to go when the guy in the brown truck shows up on Monday. There are a couple of intakes still available in the Pro Dry version. I did not order any of the oiled filter version. If you want to get one faster than ground, you can pay the difference between the free ground shipping I'm offering and the actual cost of faster air shipping.

If you want an intake this week, please go online and place your order before the last 4 are gone. I will probably be available only for a couple of hours early on Monday and then will be at the dealership signing papers and picking up my new E92 M3. Check out the pic below. I'M JOINING THE E9X CLUB!!!

Bob

Note: suspension is still block, tow hook covers are not on, plastic on the seats, cardboard in the doors, but I got to drive it about 25 feet...took some pics and parked it. WOO HOO!!
HOT HOT HOTTTT! Congrats!

Can't wait to see this thing transform ...........
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #51
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Here are the results ......

Hope this helps someone out there!

So let's get started .......

The only engine/performance modifications I have installed are as follows:

Borla cat-back exhaust
aFe cold air intake
Dinan Stage II software

Fuel used: Shell V-Power 93 octane

Conditions were NOT ideal .....

97 degrees fahrenheit w/ 30% humidity
Used 2 fans blowing @ at 45 mph
Hood closed for ALL runs .........

In all we ran 3 sets of pulls due to changing the intakes from oem to aFe.
I started with the aFe cai installed first. Since this intake had been installed I have put about 150 miles on the odometer. Well adapted.

The best run w/ the aFe setup?

322.03 rwhp, 344.46 rwtq.

Keeping the hood closed along with the heat situation did not help the numbers. With the hood left open and the temperature 20+ degrees cooler I would expect much better results .....

Oil temp stayed at about the 230 range with 5 minutes between pulls for cool down.

Now the oem pulls .......

After the switch of cai's; the car was driven for approximately 30 minutes to allow for the car to adapt. We then ran one more set of 3 pulls for adapting purposes. Not real sure we got there. For the remainder of these pulls the car temp stayed at the 240 mark.

Best run was 313.40 rwhp / 327.15 rwtq

Besides the heat today I really believe the fans were inadequate with regard to available supply or "wind" needed for cooling. The hood staying closed was a huge contributor as well.

Below I've attached one graph showing the OEM pulls and one graph showing the aFe pull. If you look at the "curve" you will notice that it's about the same rpm range aFe advertises as having the most significant gains. It looks to be about a 15 rwhp difference .....??

OEM pulls .......

aFe pulls .... this is the best result achieved .....

This video shows the difference between the initial oem run and the latter aFe .. not to mention the tt's whistling!

Another pull w/ the aFe ........ second pull dropped 5 hp!! She was sweating

and a couple of glamour shots

Once the weather starts to cool off I will be attempting some better numbers. However the numbers might reflect performance gains (or lack there of) doesn't take away from my new found enjoyment in driving my 335i once again. It may not show on paper how I would like it to but it definitely has made my ride more enjoyable.

** DISCLAIMER ** I have never had a vehicle (dyno'd) let alone posted anything this lengthy on a forum ......... be kind please
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #52
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

looks good! I wonder what results would come about stock for aFe mod only...
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #53
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
looks good! I wonder what results would come about stock for aFe mod only...
I would think 15 + easy.

The thing about results achieved independantly and results achieved commercially is that you know the manufacturer has gotten their results under ideal conditions (temperature/air flow/tunes etc.). And so it makes it very difficult for the target consumer (us) to really know what to expect with regard to our own vehicle(s) other than atleast some improvement being had.

Put me in some 50 degree weather and we'll some REAL results ...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #54
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
97F yikes!! Solid intake though and it still shows gains even though the temp outside is that hot. Now drop the 97 to 87 and you will pick up even more power. Cant wait to get mine tom. Thanks for the dynos.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #55
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Thank you so much for doing these pulls with the hood closed!
I know that it sucks because of the heat build up under there but it really does make a good comparison.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #56
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Nice results!!! Great info. I cant wait to get mine and pair it with my flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #57
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Thanks for taking the time, overall I think the results are right for the temp. I think you'll see huge power improvements as the temp drops.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #58
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

Thanks for the results. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get this. Have you considered the rpi scoops or even the D1swoop scoops which I just put on. They really would make a nice addition to your intake creating a ram air effect and drawing in more volume of cold air to the afe's.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #59
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX View Post
97F yikes!! Solid intake though and it still shows gains even though the temp outside is that hot. Now drop the 97 to 87 and you will pick up even more power. Cant wait to get mine tom. Thanks for the dynos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Thank you so much for doing these pulls with the hood closed!
I know that it sucks because of the heat build up under there but it really does make a good comparison.
Real world conditions are probably the most reliable .......... aFe must have been sitting in a meat locker to get those numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca335i View Post
Nice results!!! Great info. I cant wait to get mine and pair it with my flash.
Good luck w/ your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
Thanks for taking the time, overall I think the results are right for the temp. I think you'll see huge power improvements as the temp drops.
Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoc View Post
Thanks for the results. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get this. Have you considered the rpi scoops or even the D1swoop scoops which I just put on. They really would make a nice addition to your intake creating a ram air effect and drawing in more volume of cold air to the afe's.
I haven't .......... yet! Will be looking into the idea though
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #60
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Thanks for sharing, come fall as temps get cooler, you'll see vast improvement in the numbers.
      08-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #61
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Mine is in the mail, can't wait to put it on. Kind of funny how everybody was all about the dual BSM filers now it's aFe. Wonder what's next.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #62
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Thanks for the info! I have one of these in the mail, and it is nice to see that there WAS a difference.....

One thing of note--you were getting 313 at the wheels with a cat back and the Dinan Stage II? That doesn't say much for the Dinan--2K is a lot for the amount of performance you seem to be getting.

I am curious as well, as others have been, about the lack of a true airbox over the afe filters. I had some good conversations with the guys at Race Precision (where Mr. 5 got his scoops) and it seems to me that it is hard to truly FORCE the air through the filters without a box. Logically, it seems as though a lot of air will pass over and around the filters before actually going THROUGH them....and then you have the inability to keep the hot air out as well....Their filter, for example, is modified to make use of the stock airbox. I am wondering why afe and others did not at least try and make use of the stock airbox....

Not trying to start a war, just wondering out loud, trying to figure out logically how one of the designs is better over another.....
      08-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #63
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

One thing of note--you were getting 313 at the wheels with a cat back and the Dinan Stage II? That doesn't say much for the Dinan--2K is a lot for the amount of performance you seem to be getting.
That's in 97 degree heat with the hood closed. Any tune will suffer under those conditions.
      08-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #64
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Thanks for the info! I have one of these in the mail, and it is nice to see that there WAS a difference.....

I am curious as well, as others have been, about the lack of a true airbox over the afe filters. I had some good conversations with the guys at Race Precision (where Mr. 5 got his scoops) and it seems to me that it is hard to truly FORCE the air through the filters without a box. Logically, it seems as though a lot of air will pass over and around the filters before actually going THROUGH them....and then you have the inability to keep the hot air out as well....Their filter, for example, is modified to make use of the stock airbox. I am wondering why afe and others did not at least try and make use of the stock airbox....

Not trying to start a war, just wondering out loud, trying to figure out logically how one of the designs is better over another.....
Remember there's no point in forcing air through any filter, as the vast majority of time you'll be using the car, your vehicle speed will be far lower than the required velocity to achieve a RAM air effect that would overwhelm the standard sucking of air the engine is already taking care of. Forcing air is not the performance benefit, decreasing flow restriction is.

I was looking at the new M3 and wouldn't you know it, BMW's M engineers used one of the top hood vents as an auxiliary air flow path for the engine's intake. They knew the hood ceiling and air box ceiling would be a restriction. With their setup, the intake has less restriction regardless of the vehicle speed. Everybody knows that more power comes hood-open, so start cutting holes in your hoods people. I can tell you this, a hood scoop/vent will almost certainly be part of the first 400+HP turbo kit (with larger turbos) on the N54.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #65
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
That's in 97 degree heat with the hood closed. Any tune will suffer under those conditions.
I understand that conditions were less than ideal....but what could you expect to see in 75 degree weather? My point is that for 2K, you just aren't getting as much. Not to mention that my dealer won't even install it now....the warranty makes it attractive though....like I said--wasn't talking trash bout the Dinan, just making an observation....
      08-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #66
OO---OO
Nekid Bandit
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

But has anyone dyno'd the HVI
(yes, related because i have one and thought about getting this one)
Im sure the differencee from HVI and this isnt worth $400, though....right??
Appreciate 0