E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Has Changed It's "Tune"...

09-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
on3eighteen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 50i

Dinan Has Changed It's "Tune"...

So I got the Stage 2 tune a while ago & for kicks I went to their website today. Holy cow, they re-stated their entire performance boost terminology & basically lowered all their previous (& much) statements. Now some of the verbiage states that one needs their exhaust & oil cooler to get those performance gains. Yeah, I know, JB4 is much better & I guess now it's even more clear. I am going to give Dinan a call tomorrow to question what the hell they sold me but I imagine I am SOL at this point. So, to all of you who said the Dinan is a waste of money to you I say, "You're damn right!" Boo...
2016 BMW X5 50i BPC or ESS
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Total waste for years.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Normally I wouldn't even check Dinan's site but you inspired me to do so for kicks and what's the first thing I see: A Dinan PIGGYBACK tuner for the N55s. So after all that shit they talked about piggybacks being no good and cheap $50 electronic boxes they have the nerve to offer their own ($1999 lol piggyback). I'll give em 49 state emissions legal is a nice touch but talk about hypocritical! Proof if there ever was that Burger Tuning is putting a big dent in their business. Can't beat em join em lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Wow, I remember Steve getting his norcal roots in the 90s. Still running the same business I see.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
Normally I wouldn't even check Dinan's site but you inspired me to do so for kicks and what's the first thing I see: A Dinan PIGGYBACK tuner for the N55s. So after all that shit they talked about piggybacks being no good and cheap $50 electronic boxes they have the nerve to offer their own ($1999 lol piggyback). I'll give em 49 state emissions legal is a nice touch but talk about hypocritical! Proof if there ever was that Burger Tuning is putting a big dent in their business. Can't beat em join em lol.

I'm sure there are still people out there that think Dinan came up with the piggyback. It is amazing what good salesmen can sell people.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

Yeah I saw that back at the bimmerfest lol #dinan #ISaRIPOFF
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

ripofffff
      09-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

But seriously... One of the most joyful things about the JB4 is coming across one of the "My car is Dinan" ass holes who think they drive a La Ferrari or something and then ripping there ass apart down the street with nothing but a tune and some air filters! LMAO
2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

I can't believe Dinan can sell that shit. All I picture is dumb, rich old dudes agreeing to add $4,000 to the cost of their car for a weak ass tune and a carbon fiber intake at the dealership. The fact that there are actually people out there that spend $2,000 on a shitty tune when all of the best ones cost between $500 and $800 new is mind blowing.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
I can't believe Dinan can sell that shit. All I picture is dumb, rich old dudes agreeing to add $4,000 to the cost of their car for a weak ass tune and a carbon fiber intake at the dealership. The fact that there are actually people out there that spend $2,000 on a shitty tune when all of the best ones cost between $500 and $800 new is mind blowing.
This is in a lot of areas of life. If people didn't do this how would Apple ever survive?
      09-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Back in the day, they used to remove baffles from stock mufflers and charge $$$$$$

hell, I guess they were pioneers, bmw calls that "performance exhaust" now
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Dinan stuff isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, no one else who buys Dinan stuff cares. Neither do the engineers who develop, build, and program Dinan flashes and D-Tronics boxes. So why waste your time spewing piss and vinegar? Has the company personally screwed you?

Every bit of Dinan hardware I've ever held/installed/used personally is far nicer than 90% of the other crap out there. I can't tell you how many times we call someone to tell them the hot-shit aftermarket part they bought cheap doesn't fit. We have fewer problems with Dinan products regarding fit, function, and form than anything other than a factory replacement part. Just the physical D-Tronics box and wiring harness puts other piggies to shame.

American muscle car guys will crap all over foreign car guys. Japanese performance guys will crap all over American and European car lovers. Do we care? Nope, we bought what they perceive as an overpriced car that they could outperform with half the budget.
      09-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Ha! The ignorance here is palpable. Most Dinan customers I see are mid-thirties men and women with more important things to do than take logs and adjust tune parameters to prevent blowing charge pipes, misfiring at high load, or having other failures by trying to run on the ragged edge. They're too busy making money and not giving a crap what other people think.
      09-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:

Actually, thats because the new BMW ECU has been really locked down for the N55's. I have a 2011, and Dinan and Cobb flash are available, but there was a revision a few years later, and Cobb can not even crack it.

Basically: this is the way you have to tune them right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

They and many others tried the flash tune on the New N55 but the ECU is stubborn so it was easier to go with a piggyback to at least offer a tuning solution. Some tuning solution is better then no tuning solution for them I'd imagine.

Ultimately a flash tune is the proper way to tune but as it seems this car is nearly impossible to work with from a flash tuning standpoint and thus piggyback's still remain a practical tuning for this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Actually, thats because the new BMW ECU has been really locked down for the N55's. I have a 2011, and Dinan and Cobb flash are available, but there was a revision a few years later, and Cobb can not even crack it.

Basically: this is the way you have to tune them right now.
Yep
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Ha! The ignorance here is palpable. Most Dinan customers I see are mid-thirties men and women with more important things to do than take logs and adjust tune parameters to prevent blowing charge pipes, misfiring at high load, or having other failures by trying to run on the ragged edge. They're too busy making money and not giving a crap what other people think.
Fact, it is more important to make money than it is to understand how a car works as a car hobbyist.

Your car is quite an odd combo there, you run those "hot-shit" aftermarket parts with your Dinan tune? Seems counter-intuitive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:
Dinan stuff isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, no one else who buys Dinan stuff cares. Neither do the engineers who develop, build, and program Dinan flashes and D-Tronics boxes. So why waste your time spewing piss and vinegar? Has the company personally screwed you?

Every bit of Dinan hardware I've ever held/installed/used personally is far nicer than 90% of the other crap out there. I can't tell you how many times we call someone to tell them the hot-shit aftermarket part they bought cheap doesn't fit. We have fewer problems with Dinan products regarding fit, function, and form than anything other than a factory replacement part. Just the physical D-Tronics box and wiring harness puts other piggies to shame.

American muscle car guys will crap all over foreign car guys. Japanese performance guys will crap all over American and European car lovers. Do we care? Nope, we bought what they perceive as an overpriced car that they could outperform with half the budget.
I don't normally reply to Dinan comments but who cares how "nice" Dinan products are? Do they out perform and make more power than products like a JB4? No they don't and yet they charge over twice as much.

I see you have the Dinan stage 3 kit. I don't want to know how much you spent on that but have you dyno'd your car? Any races you can post of your cars performance?
      09-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:

uhhh you're gonna claim dinnans 2,000 dollar piggy back puts "others to shame" b/c they spent an extra $20 bux making the fit and finish look and feel better? have fun going slower paying 4x the ampunt you would on a JB4 and not have NEAR as many functions like boost on fuel map switching on the fly, making your own custom map 6. you're a clown for even going there dinnan is for dumbfkks who dont know anything about REAL BMW performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
I'd say the ignorance is yours. The other plug and plays can give you the same tune as Dinan. You select the map. The only only only benefit of a Dinan tune is the 50k warranty which is pretty much worthless as I haven't seen anything blown in the first 50k no matter what you do except HPFP. And for $25 and 30 min you can remove any trace you had a plug and play installed and keep your warranty intact. I know. I did it for my entire warranty life. So basically Dinan is a dying name that was good a couple decades ago and is kept alive by people who haven't taken the time to see what's available and just want to pay extra getting it from the dealer and have their peace of mind about their warranty because they probably can't change a flat. Sorry, but for the money you pay for Dinan and what you get out of it vs. buying a pnp you could take a family of four on vacation to the Bahamas and still have a faster and just as reliable car.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:

haha until they roll up next to a jb4 or cobb of the same car and get banked on. realize they paid way too much money for minimal gains
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #21
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder
Quote:
Fact, it is more important to make money than it is to understand how a car works as a car hobbyist.

Your car is quite an odd combo there, you run those "hot-shit" aftermarket parts with your Dinan tune? Seems counter-intuitive.
I think you guys are missing James point here - fit and finish is worth something, perhaps not triple the price, but worth something nonetheless. Ive purchased aftermarket "performance" products many times, and the running joke is that aftermarket stuff almost never fits right, or nearly as good as oem or aftermarket companies that manufacture to eom spec. Often times this creates problems during install that end up wasting more time out of your life, or cost for labor. Sometimes You gotta weigh the cost savings $ against any potential cost in time due to less than ideal craftsmanship.

Eg I recently purchased a cp from a great vendor on here, before ordering I was worried about potential fitment and missing misc parts. Well, it turns out that I was able to get the part to fit, barely, but it was not engineered to accommodate space in the engine bay for dv's. This is just one of many examples I've had over the years of buying aftermarket parts for cars that just don't for right. Exterior parts are even worse because it's easily noticeable.
      09-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
I think you guys are missing James point here - fit and finish is worth something, perhaps not triple the price, but worth something nonetheless. Ive purchased aftermarket "performance" products many times, and the running joke is that aftermarket stuff almost never fits right, or nearly as good as oem or aftermarket companies that manufacture to eom spec. Often times this creates problems during install that end up wasting more time out of your life, or cost for labor. Sometimes You gotta weigh the cost savings $ against any potential cost in time due to less than ideal craftsmanship.

Eg I recently purchased a cp from a great vendor on here, before ordering I was worried about potential fitment and missing misc parts. Well, it turns out that I was able to get the part to fit, barely, but it was not engineered to accommodate space in the engine bay for dv's. This is just one of many examples I've had over the years of buying aftermarket parts for cars that just don't for right. Exterior parts are even worse because it's easily noticeable.
Nope, no point missed. There is no fit and finish on a flash. It flashes over onto your dme. There is quality of a flash as it performs and changes the cars behavior. Dinan from what I've seen performs poorly compared to other flashes. It takes time to learn how to tune a car and some people just want to pay others to do it for them, which is great, but unless you go pro-tune, a OTS map will not give you the best performance. Especially one that is a conservative OTS map.

Performing a search will tell you the quality of most aftermarket parts. Also if modifying cars was easy everyone would be doing it.
Appreciate 0