E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XI vs I

03-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
I think you'll be quite happy with RWD in Phoenix, especially if you don't drag race. But yet again, you're comparing i with sport to xi without. Everybody knows that anything with the sport package will feel much different from anything without. I'm just not sure why the whole world seems to associate xi with no sport package. Is xi with sport that rare?
First day with the e90 RWD. Feels different for sure. Feels lower when sitting in the car and more stable. I do drag race which is why I love my xi though... I am planning to have lots of fun with these cars haha. I already like the i better as a total package. My mods on the xi will almost invariably keep it ahead in a drag race... but the i will definitely be more stable and fun when not in a straight line unless I do a major suspension overhaul in the xi... which isn't exactly in the plans at this point... we'll see
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
I think you'll be quite happy with RWD in Phoenix, especially if you don't drag race. But yet again, you're comparing i with sport to xi without. Everybody knows that anything with the sport package will feel much different from anything without. I'm just not sure why the whole world seems to associate xi with no sport package. Is xi with sport that rare?
First day with the e90 RWD. Feels different for sure. Feels lower when sitting in the car and more stable. I do drag race which is why I love my xi though... I am planning to have lots of fun with these cars haha. I already like the i better as a total package. My mods on the xi will almost invariably keep it ahead in a drag race... but the i will definitely be more stable and fun when not in a straight line unless I do a major suspension overhaul in the xi... which isn't exactly in the plans at this point... we'll see
All the best drag racing times are by i's
Xi launches like crazy and will get better 60' (unless the i has dr's)
But the extra weight hurts and slighty less power make it loose.
But unless the rwd car has good tires, and knows how to launch properly, I agree the xi will be ahead in a straight line(acceleration, highway pulls are a different story)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I got the xi for winter and I love it, I like to play on a very big empty parking lot during a big snowfall or go to a frozen lake. Plus I snowboard so when I go to boarding it helps get to my destination.

But if the car will never see snow and you don't go rallying then "i" would be better, I would have like to get the M3 but for me priority was AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #26
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Like others have mention an upgrade to 18's from the stock 17's did stiff'in up my suspension. I put my 162's on a couple of weeks ago and the handling felt a lot better. The only down side is the road noise went quite a bit. I too live in a climate where snow is an issue and I am happy I upgraded to an 'x' from an 'i'. The additional traction you get with an 'x' is amazing and something I will not go without,

Appreciate 0