E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What sealants are you guys using on your paint?

12-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Theres 2 things here, coatings and sealants. A coating bonds to the paint and is designed to last 12+ months. They differ in chemistry but that's the summary. They're expensive and can be tricky to apply. There's also sealants. Sealants are a sacrificial layer that bonds to the paint or coating and is designed to be easy to apply but not last as long. They're also cheaper.

What you want to do it a full wash, clay and paint correction to remove swirls, oxidisation, water marks etc. Then you apply your coating. When that's done, you apply your sealant. Wash your car like normal every week/fortnight and reapply the sealant. This will keep your coating lasting longer and protect the paint underneath. Wouldn't waste my time with waxes these days technology has moved on.

My opinion, if you are going to use a coating though consider having done (or doing yourself) a paint correction. Otherwise you're locking in all those swirls and marks under $170+ of coating for 12 months plus.
You seem to be quite knowledgeable, have you considered writing a DIY? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff but if like to learn, or really be told. Buy these things and use them in this order this often.

There are just so many people and products out there and they all make different claims.

Even just how to polish with a machine, which one to buy which product and pads to use would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #24
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Go to CCP buy a random orbital kit lake country ccs pads and mezerna compounds. With sealants there are lots of great options, just use something CCP prescribe for your black onyx paint!

They'll also advise what clay to use and shampoo and once you've detailed the car how to correctly maintain it to keep it swirl free. There are oodles of detailing videos also
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #25
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
You seem to be quite knowledgeable, have you considered writing a DIY? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff but if like to learn, or really be told. Buy these things and use them in this order this often.

There are just so many people and products out there and they all make different claims.

Even just how to polish with a machine, which one to buy which product and pads to use would be great.
I detail for fun and am mates with one of Melbourne's premier detailers, couple of mates do it for fun too and between us we've got a fair bit of gear and have tried quite a lot of products. If there's nothing written yet I'm happy to try and put something together? I've never looked for detailing info on this site so there might be something already buried away.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #26
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

All this mumbo jumbo lol can someone just recommend and good one product hand applicable high quality product to make my car so shiny and nice like rainbows and butterflies
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #27
chrisw27
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i N55 DCT

I also quite enjoy it and have detailed 10 or so cars of friends and family. The CCP starter kit is a good one, and the menzerna polishes are fantastic with the right pads, right technique and patience.

In terms of sealants, i can recommend the duragloss 105, particularly when paired with the 601 bonding agent. Seems to provide at least a few months of protection. It is easy to apply and buff off. The gloss is very good, albeit not as deep as that of quality waxes. My car is a 135i with alpine white paint, and it looks really good however obviously wont have the depth of properly sealed darker paints.

When it runs out, ill probably switch to the menzerna powerlock which ive heard good things about.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #28
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
I've been using meguiars 21 lately.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:32 AM   #29
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
All this mumbo jumbo lol can someone just recommend and good one product hand applicable high quality product to make my car so shiny and nice like rainbows and butterflies
There's a few sonax products that can be applied by hand that are a cutting compound and wax.

The trouble is they're a compromise between both a cutting compound (dedicated cutting compounds remove more defects) and the sealant doesn't last all that long either. Also modern bmw's have ceramaclear paint which is extremely hard (formulated to reduce swirling) and mezerna compounds are designed for this clear coat (they're agressive' enough to remove the swirls)

Also you'll need a to (random orbital machine) to do a decent job of compounding for the best finish...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #30
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

BMW's don't have hard paint really. I think alpine white, black metallic and few others moderate hardness at most. You want a hard paint try VW candy white. That's crazy hard, same with a few other Audi paints. Since bmw switched to water based paints they haven't been the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #31
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
LOL dude. Sealant over shitty condition paint won't make it shiny and beautiful. You need a paint correction (buff/polish whatever you want to call it) to bring out the shine and depth in the colour. Then you apply a coating and sealant over the top to lock that in and protect it.

Kamikze Miyabi is a great coating, and kamikaze overcoat is a great sealant. Apply the coating with the suede/foam applicator and buff off excess later with new microfibre towels then throw them away. Apply sealant with fresh microfibre towels and wash them afterward.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #32
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
BMW's don't have hard paint really.
Compared to the jap stuff they do! (Lexus/Toyota/Nissan)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #33
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

As for what sealant I use, I've been using a tub of zymol titanium for years and years!

I keep it stored in the fridge whilst not in use (to prevent degradation) and whilst it cost me $150 or something back when I bought it, I've done at least 10-20 details with it and the tub is only half empty. It applies easily, is reasonably long lasting, has great clarity and depth to the paint and crazy beading!

A lot of prepwork gets the paint looking like glass, and hence why the sealant beads so well...
Appreciate 0