E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What do you do for fun?

03-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Question What do you do for fun?

I've been beating myself up lately, about how unhappy I am in Phoenix - then I realized a big part is due to the fact that I'm not doing anything. Sure, the city pretty much sucks; but I don't have any hobbies or activities other then work and... well, work.

I grew up always involved in multiple things. It kept me busy, and I'd like to get back to that.
All I do now, is once a week race in an indoor kart league. It's fun; but it's more of a social activity, and not that competitive.
I've been wanting to get back into stuff, but shelling out the money for new gear isn't appealing. It doesn't help that my interest have always been the expensive sports. Why couldn't I have liked basketball?

Hockey:
Started when I was 5, played high-school and college. I quit after my freshman year of college due to a conflict with the coach.
I'm worried that if I start playing some week-night adult league, I'll be bored with the slow level of play.

Snowboarding:
Again, started young (like 9). Stopped riding about 3 years ago because I missed a season due to lacrosse injuries; and I was burnt out on competitions, and sick of riding every day. So I sold all my stuff before graduating from college.
Now being in the desert, I'm not sure I want to spend all that money of something I'll do a few weekends each year.

Lacrosse:
Played in high-school, then for my college my sophomore through senior year.
Haven't played since graduating because it's not exactly a sport where you can stop by the park and find a pick-up game.

Muay Thai:
Originally started training while in college to stay in shape for lax.
Haven't trained since moving to Phoenix, mostly because I can't find a gym I am impressed with.

Music:
Have played bass for like 8 years now, and in a few different bands over the years. Had to sell my half-stack for money after graduating college, and haven't played in a band since then.
I'd like to start a new band out here, but need a new cabinet, and more importantly, I don't know anyone in Phoenix who share my musical interest.

So what do you guys do for fun?
It seems that once you're out and part of the working class, it's more and more difficult to find time for the things you enjoy. It also seems like it's more and more important to make time for those things you enjoy.
      03-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

hmmmm, still in high school, so fun things pop up everywhere for me, but honestly theres not much that's more fun than taking my car out to empty roads and driving aggressive and fast
and sports do it for me too, im a big basketball and football guy
oh and video games are fun too =]

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Still a senior in highschool. Usually I just like to hang out with friends...in fact that's pretty much all I do.

I used to play videogames non-stop, but I cut that habit quickly starting about a year and a half ago.

Working out is up there, but sometimes it feels like a chore. Other times it's nice.

Going on wave runners or on the boat is nice too.

Stopped playing baseball five years ago, and quit football three years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I used to go canyon carving a lot as well as movies, going out to eat, pool, just chilling with friends, etc. But lately I havent done either of those things. Now I snowboard and ski a lot instead (obviously cus it's winter).

The reason why I dont do those kind of things anymore is because they get boring. I mean if you play pool like 2 or 3 times a week it gets pretty tiring. I like travelling and exploring more so that's what I'm saving up to do. I'm hoping to take a trip to Europe or Asia this summer. So now I basically just go snowboarding once every few weeks and kick it with friends once every week or two. I feel like I'm distancing myself a little though but with work and school, it's pretty hard to find time for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I think it's tougher once you are out in the working class because you often don't find too many people you want to kick it with from work. If you moved then that definitely plays into the equation. It's not always what to do, it's the company you keep.

But I'd look around harder for some gyms, perhaps other stuff other than MT. Some jiujitsu perhaps.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Welcome to the real world. How old are you? Once you enter the workplace and if you have the opportunity to have a great fun job you will be sucked in and realize like me that 25 years have passed and you pretty much only worked.

I cannot really complain since my job (Avionics engineer for a flight simulation company) has given me the opportunity of traveling and see places I could not really afford to see by myself.

The problem is our hyper-competitive capitalistic world compels us to always want more and more. To obtain these toys, you need more money and the only obvious way is to work for it. You'll have to learn to enjoy the moment.

Good luck.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Tennis -- at least 5 times/wk...

THe rest of free time -- playing with my kids and wifey...

I miss PHX, loved it over there....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lift, run, bike, movies, getting good with friends, soccer at our highschool

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I think it's tougher once you are out in the working class because you often don't find too many people you want to kick it with from work. If you moved then that definitely plays into the equation. It's not always what to do, it's the company you keep.

But I'd look around harder for some gyms, perhaps other stuff other than MT. Some jiujitsu perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
Welcome to the real world. How old are you? Once you enter the workplace and if you have the opportunity to have a great fun job you will be sucked in and realize like me that 25 years have passed and you pretty much only worked.

I cannot really complain since my job (Avionics engineer for a flight simulation company) has given me the opportunity of traveling and see places I could not really afford to see by myself.

The problem is our hyper-competitive capitalistic world compels us to always want more and more. To obtain these toys, you need more money and the only obvious way is to work for it. You'll have to learn to enjoy the moment.

Good luck.
Yeah, I'm almost 26, so I've been out of school for a few years now. Like you said, I think finding a job you enjoy is huge. But OC had a good point in that, the people you spend 50+ hours with at work each week are not always the people you want to spend your evenings/weekends with.
      03-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
How are the meets out in Phoenix? Perhaps organize one and you can meet people with similar interests?

What field of work are you in?

Are you creative? Any old hobbies you can do? (I'm not artistic at all haha)

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I've been beating myself up lately, about how unhappy I am in Phoenix - then I realized a big part is due to the fact that I'm not doing anything. Sure, the city pretty much sucks; but I don't have any hobbies or activities other then work and... well, work.

I grew up always involved in multiple things. It kept me busy, and I'd like to get back to that.
All I do now, is once a week race in an indoor kart league. It's fun; but it's more of a social activity, and not that competitive.
I've been wanting to get back into stuff, but shelling out the money for new gear isn't appealing. It doesn't help that my interest have always been the expensive sports. Why couldn't I have liked basketball?

Hockey:
Started when I was 5, played high-school and college. I quit after my freshman year of college due to a conflict with the coach.
I'm worried that if I start playing some week-night adult league, I'll be bored with the slow level of play.

Snowboarding:
Again, started young (like 9). Stopped riding about 3 years ago because I missed a season due to lacrosse injuries; and I was burnt out on competitions, and sick of riding every day. So I sold all my stuff before graduating from college.
Now being in the desert, I'm not sure I want to spend all that money of something I'll do a few weekends each year.

Lacrosse:
Played in high-school, then for my college my sophomore through senior year.
Haven't played since graduating because it's not exactly a sport where you can stop by the park and find a pick-up game.

Muay Thai:
Originally started training while in college to stay in shape for lax.
Haven't trained since moving to Phoenix, mostly because I can't find a gym I am impressed with.

Music:
Have played bass for like 8 years now, and in a few different bands over the years. Had to sell my half-stack for money after graduating college, and haven't played in a band since then.
I'd like to start a new band out here, but need a new cabinet, and more importantly, I don't know anyone in Phoenix who share my musical interest.

So what do you guys do for fun?
It seems that once you're out and part of the working class, it's more and more difficult to find time for the things you enjoy. It also seems like it's more and more important to make time for those things you enjoy.
Twins separated at birth.. (I'm 19 however..)
Played hockey for a few years and then the league shut down.. I miss it a lot, but not many places close to where I live..
Snowboarded for two years and then got tired of it.
Started getting into bass, but my wrist would hurt when I would play since I broke it.

Heh.. I thought older people were a bit slower in hockey as well until I played with them a few times.. You should at least go to one of their scrimmage's to see what they are about.

Currently.. I started working out MWF with my brother and a friend for about an hour, we plan to get some sparring gear and clear Wednesday to go at it for a while.
Other than that I mainly chill on the computer, go to college, watch a bit of t.v., and hang out with friends.

Me and a couple of friends started a little dodge ball type league. We usually just call everyone up around 10pm or so whenever we want to play, everyone meets up and we go at it for 2 or so hours. Usually teams of 6-8, but we haven't played as much since the janitors found out we were using their Elementary Gym. We play occasionally now at some fenced in tennis courts, but with the gym we were playing at least 3 times a week.

You should check out Ultimate Frisbee as well.. Really fun and active, and should fill up about 2-3 hours in a day. Once again, we started it up because we had nothing better to do.

Socialize and get a group of friends to do stuff with.

-Nathan
      03-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Socialize and get a group of friends to do stuff with.

-Nathan
I agree.

I know you aren't too fond of the MT schools in your area (@OP) but perhaps you can meet some people there. There's a MT school in my area, if you're single, you'd like their cardio kickboxing class.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
take a guess. just take a wild guess.
      03-08-2008, 02:16 AM   #14
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
take a guess. just take a wild guess.
Judging by your sig pic, the statement under your username, and your quote...well...actually I have no idea at all

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

jack off.
      03-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #16
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
jack off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
Judging by your sig pic, the statement under your username, and your quote...well...actually I have no idea at all
ohh dear. what a shame

your in jersey ehh? heres a lil something:

Quote:
Assembly Bill 804, the "New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act," which would enact legal protections for authorized medical marijuana patients, has been introduced in the New Jersey Legislature. Now is the time to contact your state representatives and urge them to support this important legislation.

This legislation is an identical companion bill to S. 119, which was introduced in the New Jersey Senate earlier this year. With bills in both the New Jersey Assembly and Senate, this is the best chance we have ever had to pass medical marijuana into law in the state. It is crucial that your elected officials hear overwhelming support for medical marijuana from concerned citizens such as yourself.

This legislation will help to ensure that medical marijuana patients in New Jersey will no longer have to fear arrest or prosecution from state law enforcement. However, the bill will only receive serious consideration if your elected officials hear an unmistakable message of support from their constituents.
      03-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post

:co ol:
      03-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Lift weights, muay Thai, submission grappling, playing drums, and photoshop.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i usually hit the driving range whenever I'm free i can kill like 2 hours there, and plus it usually makes me forget all the stressful crap in my life....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
ohh dear. what a shame

your in jersey ehh? heres a lil something:
Haha Kiemyster I was kidding

I don't think there's anyone on this board who doesn't know what you do for fun!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #22
mf2kta
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

You're kidding right??

You can do outdoor sports all year long!! See those big brown hilly things in every direction you look? Those are mountains. Hike them! Phx has the second most MMA gyms in the nation (Las Vegas #1). There is every pro sporting team you could want. There are millions of golf courses. There are two 1/4 mile tracks that are decent. There are several racing leagues (pro solo II, etc.) From your "hobbies" it sounds like you grew up in the northeast or midwest. Adapt. When in Rome....

Seriously, there is so much you can do. The only thing that holds me back from doing more is time and money.
Appreciate 0