E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cutting a ski hole in a E92

01-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Cutting a ski hole in a E92

I have read a few threads about IB and looking through below thread, a spare JL 12w3v2 sub I thought I would give it a try to see what kind of difference it makes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13123392

Following the above guide I set about removing the centre armrest and plastic cover and I was expecting it to be a plastic backing but on mine its metal

Slightly stumped as I dont have any metal cutting gear, has anyone else come across a metal plate rather than plastic?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Uh, I was actually expecting metal with mine and was glad to find plastic of course. Should not be too hard, a Dremel metal-cutting bit should do it, or of course a metal blade for a jig saw. Please keep us updated!
      01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Bit of an update -

At first I got put off by the metal sheet and did not have any metal cutting equipment

Cue 1 hour later and a jigsaw and metal cutting blade, I followed your guide above and carefully went ahead and cut an opening. I am glad the metal sheet was not too thick but made sure I covered everything up as I did not want the metal bits scratching the leather.

I still need to make the baffle to mount the sub which will be done next weekend. So far I have the sub in a sealed box firing through the hole.

A couple of things I have noticed (I admit I am not an expert just like listening to good quality sound)

no ski hole/sub facing back of the seat = bass was muted could not feel the low notes
no ski hole/sub facing back of seat/arm rest down = slightly increased presence of the sub and could hear some of the low notes

With the above, I got out of the car and outside around my boot/fuel filler cap/numberplate holder was vibrating like mad and annoying imo

With the ski hole cut/sub firing into the cabin = I could feel the warmth of the bass notes, it wasnt overpowering but just nice not to loud to make my ears bleed
Went back outside and noticed a lot less rattle from boot area

Sub - JL audio W3V2 12" and Im only feeding it 250wrms (which I amhappy at the moment)

Now I really want to try to make a IB similar to what mob17 has done to see the difference.

Can anyone give me any tips when making an IB?
I have seen other threads and from what I can gather 2 square pieces of MDF 18mm thick each, cut circular hole, mount sub onto the MDF and the whole MDF board onto the back seat?

I did take some pics if anyone is interested but its similar to the DIY thread
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Mistryn don't you have an e92 where your back seats fold? How have you managed to cut a ski type hole when (from what I gather) it goes across both rear seats?

Am I missing something.

I've handed in my car for the install and the JL12w7 will be in a sealed box facing the outside and I'm scared that the whole damn car will rattle I also want that warm low bass to fire int the cabin but I guess that's too late? If I had an e90, firing through the ski hatch would be only option.

Subscribed to this thread and your build mate.
      01-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Mistryn don't you have an e92 where your back seats fold? How have you managed to cut a ski type hole when (from what I gather) it goes across both rear seats?

Am I missing something.

I've handed in my car for the install and the JL12w7 will be in a sealed box facing the outside and I'm scared that the whole damn car will rattle I also want that warm low bass to fire int the cabin but I guess that's too late? If I had an e90, firing through the ski hatch would be only option.

Subscribed to this thread and your build mate.
Hi Sam
Yes I have a E92, I have 60/40 split so on the longer side I have the centre arm rest in the middle and just cut the hole from the back as per that DIY thread

apologies for the crap pics taken on iphone (I thought I taken more but dont know where they have gone but can take some more tommorow)

When will your install be done by? I am really looking foward to seeing the pics. Doesnt your e92 have centre arm rest? Has your installer started work?

I have made a make shift grill with some mesh but I have ordered some speaker carpet and will replace it with that
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 328i w/ XDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I have a jl 12 w3v3-2 with a jl 500/1 amp that I plan on doing a similar install. However I'm wondering if a custom corner box would still get that warm bass if I simply leave my ski pass open? Kinda fourth order bandpass style? If I calculate the ski hole size it should act like a port correct?

Op would you mind positioning your sealed box to the corner and testing this?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
I have a jl 12 w3v3-2 with a jl 500/1 amp that I plan on doing a similar install. However I'm wondering if a custom corner box would still get that warm bass if I simply leave my ski pass open? Kinda fourth order bandpass style? If I calculate the ski hole size it should act like a port correct?

I can have a try tommorow and report back. I did consider trying to get a corner sub box to save on space but I thought I try this way out first.

I do not know much about bandpass/port calculation etc maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to answer
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus

I tested this before I sold my corner enclosure. Sounded much better with the ski hole open!
      01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Hey Nitesh,
Yes that 60/40 is the same I was referring to so interesting, maybe ill try that in 2014 lol. I do have a centre arm rest but as I already bought P5UMLs boot build box at a price hard to resist, I went with that for now.

I know alot of sound will be lost to vibrations but as long as I can get a deep line bass in the Cabin (doesn't have to be super crisp if you know what I mean) for my daily drive that'll suffice. Ten when ice got some more spare cash ill experiment with IB style.

I'll have it back by mid to end of next week so after that ill just be tinkering around the with the MS-8 settings etc. I have asked the installer to take pics along the way so hopefully that'll be okay.

I love your interior by the way! Gorgeous tan colour!
      01-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Hey Nitesh,
Yes that 60/40 is the same I was referring to so interesting, maybe ill try that in 2014 lol. I do have a centre arm rest but as I already bought P5UMLs boot build box at a price hard to resist, I went with that for now.

No harm in experimenting at a later date

I know alot of sound will be lost to vibrations but as long as I can get a deep line bass in the Cabin (doesn't have to be super crisp if you know what I mean) for my daily drive that'll suffice. Ten when ice got some more spare cash ill experiment with IB style.

I'll have it back by mid to end of next week so after that ill just be tinkering around the with the MS-8 settings etc. I have asked the installer to take pics along the way so hopefully that'll be okay.

defo looking foward to seeing the pics and who knows one day if I am near your way if you dont mind demo'ing it to me

I love your interior by the way! Gorgeous tan colour!

Thank you, its a love or hate colour, for me I love it and think pictures do not do it justice
Looking foward to seeing the pictures of the build
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I still need to make the baffle to mount the sub which will be done next weekend. So far I have the sub in a sealed box firing through the hole.
Not discouraging you but my prediction is that you will get bass better with this setup compared to IB install (with this driver).

Or
For IB install, you should consider a different driver.

Also another benefit of your currect setup is that you can easily remove the sub box when needed compared to IB and its baffle.
      01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Ah so you've decided to try IB Look forward to seeing your progress and end result.

I'm thinking of putting a grill in front of my sub, just to protect it. So if you do try one, take some pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I did not get a chance today to try in the corner but will do so at some point next week

mak - why do you say that with this sub it is better in sealed than IB? Not being funny or anything just interested to know a bit more on hoe to choose a sub that works well in a IB (what to look out for in the specs)

I will probably still go ahead with the IB as I am interested to listen to this setup as I have never heard it through like this before. I think I will make it up with the scrap mdf I have lying about first to see rather than going out buying new mdf just in case it does not sound as good compared to a sealed unit. That way if I dont like the way it sounds in a IB can chuck the wood out.

Mob - It was your thread that inspired me to try this IB out as before I have never heard of it but will keep this thread updated with pics
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mob - It was your thread that inspired me to try this IB out as before I have never heard of it but will keep this thread updated with pics
Thanks. And now it will be your thread that will inspire me!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Thanks. And now it will be your thread that will inspire me!

Still no progress/update since last time, keep meaning to go down to B&Q for MDF board just been dam too cold to do anything
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Still no progress/update since last time, keep meaning to go down to B&Q for MDF board just been dam too cold to do anything
Yeah i know what you mean its freezing. But i still have to take all my stuff out Going to start today and hopefully get the harness mids and woofers out at least.

But i'll be following your progress closely so please keep this updated
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I will definatly keep this thread updated, I just need to make a template first of the baffle and then go down to B&Q for the MDF board - I am thinkin it is simple to do, have one rectabgle piece with the cut out for the sub, another rectangle peice to mount onto and screw onto the back seat. Unless I am missing something?

When do you pick up the new car? I know it must be a pain to work in cold freezing conditions but needs must I bet you will have sleepless nights for the next week
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will definatly keep this thread updated, I just need to make a template first of the baffle and then go down to B&Q for the MDF board - I am thinkin it is simple to do, have one rectabgle piece with the cut out for the sub, another rectangle peice to mount onto and screw onto the back seat. Unless I am missing something?

When do you pick up the new car? I know it must be a pain to work in cold freezing conditions but needs must I bet you will have sleepless nights for the next week
I think that sounds alright. As long as its fully sealed and secure it should be fine. I would suggest deadening as much of the rear seat as you can and the parcel shelf as in mine there was some rattle from the parcel shelf on certain low notes. Also you probably already know this but Mr Singh used some type of bolts (cant remember the name but its on my thread), so the screw holes won't widen after screwing multiple times. No dirty jokes lads!

Pick it up next saturday I know i said i was going to do some of it today but got nothing done. I was being lazy plus i wanted one more day of listening to it as i'm not sure when it will all be in again. Yes last night was the worst!!
Appreciate 0