E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

09-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #1695
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
Good info! Thank you!
Good luck with it!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #1696
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just a quick question; I'm attempting to do some scratch / swirl repairs on my Alpine White E90 (2007) and while I've managed to get rid of most, if not all swirls, I'm struggling to get rid of some of the deeper scratches.

I'm currently using a Flex 3401 with Meg 105 on both LC Cyan and Surbuf pads.

The previous owner would have used the bootlid as a shelf for his suitcase and while the scratches arent through to the metal, I can't seem to do much in way of repairs. I'm holding back really getting stuck in for fear of going 'too far'.

On to my question: Is it safe to say that while I can still clearly see the factory orange peal in the paint - there's still plenty of clear left to continue on with repairs?

Just how hard is the clear on an Alpine White (3) e90?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #1697
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Just a quick question; I'm attempting to do some scratch / swirl repairs on my Alpine White E90 (2007) and while I've managed to get rid of most, if not all swirls, I'm struggling to get rid of some of the deeper scratches.

I'm currently using a Flex 3401 with Meg 105 on both LC Cyan and Surbuf pads.

The previous owner would have used the bootlid as a shelf for his suitcase and while the scratches arent through to the metal, I can't seem to do much in way of repairs. I'm holding back really getting stuck in for fear of going 'too far'.

On to my question: Is it safe to say that while I can still clearly see the factory orange peal in the paint - there's still plenty of clear left to continue on with repairs?

Just how hard is the clear on an Alpine White (3) e90?

Thanks!
It's hard to say anything for certain about the thickness of a clear coat without a paint thickness gage. These are expensive and most don't have them so we have to rely on visual evidence and common sense. If ever in doubt I always lean towards being more conservative.

In this case it sounds like the scratches are too deep to be safely buffed out. Most likely some touch up work (ie paint, wet sand, polish, etc.) would be needed to really fix it.

For the other areas if you still see lots of orange peel I would think that would mean enough clear coat is there to still polish safely as you mentioned. Again a gage is needed to be certain but it is a good visual indicator.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #1698
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

hi, you may have answered this 20 times already but here it goes.
noob next door got outdoor latex paint drops on my hood and fender. will just washing it take it off? or am i in need of something else?
its 2011 montego blue metallic.
also he came over and looks like rubbed it with his finger and water, i hope it was not thinner! after i told him not to touch it till i find out whats best way
thanks
      09-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1699
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-328i View Post
hi, you may have answered this 20 times already but here it goes.
noob next door got outdoor latex paint drops on my hood and fender. will just washing it take it off? or am i in need of something else?
its 2011 montego blue metallic.
also he came over and looks like rubbed it with his finger and water, i hope it was not thinner! after i told him not to touch it till i find out whats best way
thanks
Sorry to hear about this situation, unfortunately it's not too uncommon. Definitely don't use any paint thinner and don't let him touch the car. Start off with a good wash but this will not remove the paint. Next use a clay bar and it should remove the paint no problem. Normally a fine grade bar (ie DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay) will clean most vehicles but sometimes with paint over spray we'll recommend a medium grade bar (DI Accessories Medium Grade Clay Bar), but it's hard to know for sure until you start using them. This should definitely remove it more safely than other methods. Another option is to use something like the 3M Adhesive Remover or the Stoner Tarminator. These can help loosen the paint over spray safely but it involves scrubbing with more force so I prefer to use a clay bar. Hope this helps!

I'd also take pictures of this just in case it caused any other damage to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #1700
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

Thanks. I washed the car. It seemed to lighten up with just the water first. I then washed it with lots of soap. I didnt have to rub too hard, just normal wipe. And I don't think I can tell if it had it on before. Would I have to clay still you think?
      09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #1701
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-328i View Post
Thanks. I washed the car. It seemed to lighten up with just the water first. I then washed it with lots of soap. I didnt have to rub too hard, just normal wipe. And I don't think I can tell if it had it on before. Would I have to clay still you think?
That's great if it came off that easy, I'm definitely surprised but still great news. If it's all coming off with light to medium pressure while washing then hopefully you are all set. If you want to be extra thorough I'd get a fine grade bar and go over it again. Lastly I would inspect the paint from different angles in direct sun to ensure nothing has etched in to the finish. Assuming it looks good hopefully you're all set!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1702
bgill76
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

2x DI accessories sheepskin mitt
5x DI microfiber no edge towel
1x. DI waffle weave towel
1x lake country blue grit sponge (for wheels)
1x grit guard
1x mini ez detail brush
1x 200g gentle fine clay
1x dodo juice born slippy clay lube
1x black fire wet diamond sealant
1x sonax wheel cleaner
1x poor boys wheel sealant
1x P21S degreaser
1x 303 fabric and vinyl cleaner
1x 303 fabric guard
1x 303 aerospace protectant
1x stoner invisible glass
1x glass science rain clear

How's this list? I'm not looking to polish yet. What would be a good car shampoo? And what would I use to clean and seal the exhaust tip? This is all in a cart on detailedimage.com
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #1703
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgill76 View Post
1x grit guard
1x mini ez detail brush
1x 200g gentle fine clay
1x sonax wheel cleaner
1x P21S degreaser
1x 303 fabric guard

How's this list? I'm not looking to polish yet. What would be a good car shampoo? And what would I use to clean and seal the exhaust tip? This is all in a cart on detailedimage.com
-poor boys wheel sealant sucks IMO. Try armor all wheel protectant. i love it
-303 is a great product
- i would say aquapel in replacement of rain clear
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #1704
bgill76
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
-303 is a great product
I read the detailedimage.com guide and that was all of the recommended supplies. Anyone else have input?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #1705
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
I read the detailedimage.com guide and that was all of the recommended supplies. Anyone else have input?
i recommend leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator for your leather. Also recommend a caranuba wax to finish over BFWD. Hope this helps bud.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #1706
bgill76
Rep

Quote:
i recommend leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator for your leather. Also recommend a caranuba wax to finish over BFWD. Hope this helps bud.
I think I have leatherette not leather
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #1707
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
-303 is a great product
Agreed that PBWS sucks, it's a nightmare to get on/off. What I do for wheels is the same I do for paint: wash, glaze and seal. I take the wheels off the car every six months to do this; in between I just wash.
Quote:
1x grit guard
1x mini ez detail brush
1x 200g gentle fine clay
1x sonax wheel cleaner
1x P21S degreaser
*1x 303 fabric and vinyl cleaner
*1x 303 fabric guard
*1x stoner invisible glass
*1x glass science rain clear

I bolded the stuff I'd remove and put an asterisk next to the stuff I don't have experience with.
I bolded the clay lube because you don't need it. Get some instant detailer, it will work the same and you can use it on your paint after a wash. Unfortunately DI doesn't sell Meguiar's detailer but that is the best, IMO in terms of on/off and clarity. Optimum doesn't do it for me.

Get more towels - I'd get 12+ of the blue microfiber square ones, two waffle weave, and 4-6 "Great White" towels, my favorite:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...30/16-x-24-S1/

Also get another sheepskin mitt, have at least two.

A sponge won't cut it for wheels, IMO, get a detail brush: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brus.../Full-Size-S1/

For shampoo, I like Optimum. Slippery and foams up great. I buy the big bottles:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P284/32-oz-S1/

I like to apply glaze first then sealant, it will give the paint extra depth and hide minor imperfections:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P192/16-oz-S1/

*Deep breath* - last but not least, I am a HUGE fan of Meguiar's M40:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiar...-P402/16oz-S1/
Use that on all your rubber seals, plastics - it's fantastic. It will also restore any rubber that is starting to fade/oxidize. For example, the little rubber storage trays in my center console were oxidized when I got the car (brand new car ... go figure) - applied M40, been fine since. It also makes a great tire shine.
Quote:
You can (and should) still use leather protectant. Leatherette doesn't need as much care as leather but the key word is as much; it can get brittle. Leather protectant will keep it nice and flexible. I use the Optimum Leather Protectant Plus, it works nicely and smells good.

---

Thanks Greg for all your contributions here ... this thread is an absolutely fantastic resource. I used it this morning to figure out which pads and such to use for polishing soon. I'm also going to pick up Cquartz. Heard nothing but good things.

Last edited by CJ421; 10-12-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #1708
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I just received some PBWS..... hope its not that bad
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #1709
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Just make sure you get any excess off after applying, it will dry and get caked on there and is then very difficult to remove. My advice, take the wheels off the car to apply.
      10-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #1710
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421
Quote:
Just make sure you get any excess off after applying, it will dry and get caked on there and is then very difficult to remove. My advice, take the wheels off the car to apply.
Thanks. I can't take the wheels off as i have no suitable jack, even when running NRFTs! But i'll now make sure to completely remove all the product
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #1711
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1x grit guard
1x mini ez detail brush
1x 200g gentle fine clay
1x sonax wheel cleaner
1x P21S degreaser
1x 303 fabric guard

List looks great and thank you for supporting Detailed Image. The only other product I've been recommending to almost everyone is the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover ( IronX w/cherry scent ). It's so easy to use and so effective, while saving you so much time with the clay bar. It helps remove iron deposits in the paint and really makes the paint feel smooth and clean.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and if you need a quicker response e-mail us!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1712
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant has always worked great for me and been easy to work with. You have to apply it very thin for best results, a very little bit goes a long ways so it's a great value. Wait about 10 - 15 minutes before buffing off the excess product and avoid direct sun if possible. Following this process I've never had an issue.

If you want even more durable protection check out the 22ple VM1 Metal and Wheel Coating. It lasts about a year and works incredibly well!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #1713
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo worked incredibly well on leatherette, coated leathers, leather and more! You'll love the results and you can see it in action here in Todd Cooperider's Leatherique How To blog post.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #1714
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Just had a mtech bumper installed as my original stock e92 was bumped into and the person paid out of pocket.

I know not to wax/seal for 30 days, however I was wondering what is safe?

I use optimum shampoo and ONR as a quick detailer, wondering if those are 'safe' to use for the first 30 days?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #1715
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Just had a mtech bumper installed as my original stock e92 was bumped into and the person paid out of pocket.

I know not to wax/seal for 30 days, however I was wondering what is safe?

I use optimum shampoo and ONR as a quick detailer, wondering if those are 'safe' to use for the first 30 days?
In general you don't want to use anything that protects the surface for at least 30+ days. Therefore in general you should be fine washing with the ONR, clay bar and most polishes too. Some quick detailers are fine if they don't have protective properties in them. So something like the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe is fine as it's just meant for quick cleanings. However I wouldn't use anything with wax, polymers, sealant, etc. in it. I hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #1716
nelsonvr6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330i zsp

Hey DI,

I just got into an 06 Monaco Blue 330i a few weeks ago and love the car. The car was taken care of by the previous owner and seems to have only light swirls and just a couple small scratches. I would like to build a detailing kit and wanted advice on which products to start with. After reading up I would like to include the PC 7424xp polisher and a foam gun. I would also need leather care products. the products i have now are standard auto parts shampoo and towels so i have to start from scratch. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0