E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Meyle rotors OK for HPDE?

08-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Meyle rotors OK for HPDE?

About to do my 2nd ever HPDE at Road Atlanta. Both front and back Cool Carbon pads need to be replaced, and possibly rotors. I have R1 Concepts premier series blank rotors. However, I've had a slight vibration issue when braking from high speeds (ever since installing them 50-60K miles ago). When I turn the rotor with the wheel off, the rotor stops at a certain point. I'm guessing they could be warped, or could have developed a hot spot when I bedded the pads (FYI - the pads also already were used with another set of rotors when I bedded with the R1 Concepts rotors). So, I guess I need new rotors too.

I hear that slotted rotors really don't make a huge difference, even for HPDEs. So, I was thinking about just saving money and going with blanks again. It looks like Meyle rotors are cheap, and get decent reviews. However, will they be solid enough for punishment inflicted during HPDEs?

Thanks!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...55&postcount=3
Cluod9blue knows his stuff. So I would be wary of Mayle
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I would stick with the OEM Zimmerman rotors if you are going blanks. If you want to track it would be worth the extra cash to upgrade to the Z4 - with aluminum hat - rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Well. From my experience, one of the rotor was out of balance right out of box and didn't bite nowhere as hard as the slotted ECS ones I used to run (was running PFC08 pads for both rotors)

So I would recommend against them for HPDE use. Not sure if it the actual metal is different between the two or the slotted discs actually make a difference. But you certainly get a more even wear without the grooving and uneven pad deposit with slotted discs, but slotted ones are significantly louder on highway, just FYI.

Z4 discs are kind of pointless in my opinion, since they are not true floating rotors and weight saving is not worth the 3-4x increase in price comparing to the Zimmerman and ECS rotors, especially considering the fact that you will be replacing the rotors once or twice every year if you track a decent amount.

And yeah, ditch the cool carbon. There is just no way those pads will work well with the stock brake system on our fast and heavy cars. Get some real track pads like PFC 08 or Pagid instead.

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 08-20-2015 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

No problems with my Meyle rotors 1000 miles in.

+1 on above. Ditch the cool carbons. Plenty of pads that dust way less than oem and don't sacrifice stopping power.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
And yeah, ditch the cool carbon. There is just no way those pads will work well with the stock brake system on our fast and heavy cars. Get some real track pads like PFC 08 or Pagid instead.
When it comes to the Cool Carbon pads, what do you mean by they "will not work well with the stock brake system"? I'm just asking because I still have a spare pair of front pads, and was planning on just ordering a rear pair and using Cool Carbons again. I guess I could just try to sell the front Cool Carbons.

This is one thing on my mind - in my last HPDE, I had some mad brake fade! Yes, I know, I'm sure driver error was largely at fault! However, I did notice that my stopping power had significantly decreased by the end of the session. I don't remember the brake pedal being less firm, so I'm not sure fluid was completely at fault (I was using ATE Racing Blue fluid too - FYI).

Maybe I should just keep the R1 Concepts rotors/Cool Carbon setup for DD (as the high speed braking vibration issue wouldn't be that big of a deal for DD), and focus on getting a new rotor/pad combo for HPDE to swap out? Would I still be able to use the same R1 Concepts rotors with new pads for DD.....as long as I only use Cool Carbon pads?

One other thing to note - I only do HPDE once or twice a year. Thanks everyone for your responses! They are all very helpful.
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!

Last edited by Phil G; 08-20-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
When it comes to the Cool Carbon pads, what do you mean by they "will not work well with the stock brake system"? I'm just asking because I still have a spare pair of front pads, and was planning on just ordering a rear pair and using Cool Carbons again. I guess I could just try to sell the front Cool Carbons.

This is one thing on my mind - in my last HPDE, I had some mad brake fade! Yes, I know, I'm sure driver error was largely at fault! However, I did notice that my stopping power had significantly decreased by the end of the session. I don't remember the brake pedal being less firm, so I'm not sure fluid was completely at fault (I was using ATE Racing Blue fluid too - FYI).

Maybe I should just keep the R1 Concepts rotors/Cool Carbon setup for DD (as the high speed braking vibration issue wouldn't be that big of a deal for DD), and focus on getting a new rotor/pad combo for HPDE to swap out? Would I still be able to use the same R1 Concepts rotors with new pads for DD.....as long as I only use Cool Carbon pads?

One other thing to note - I only do HPDE once or twice a year. Thanks everyone for your responses! They are all very helpful.
You really need some track pads. Those cool carbons are fine for daily driving, but are not track pads. And how old is that super blue? Did you use a fresh can or had it been in there for a while?
      08-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
You really need some track pads. Those cool carbons are fine for daily driving, but are not track pads. And how old is that super blue? Did you use a fresh can or had it been in there for a while?
"This is one thing on my mind - in my last HPDE, I had some mad brake fade! Yes, I know, I'm sure driver error was largely at fault!"

Inexperienced driver will cook even the best pad.
I use Cool Carbon for track. Before I was on OEM.
Last time I boiled my brakes was in 2010 when I first started going to the track.

OP is experiencing vibrations which could be cause from a lot of different reasons: rotors, hubs, bearings, wheels and suspension components.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used a fresh can, and did a brake flush days before my last HPDE. However, that now was 2 years ago. I know, I'm overdue. I'm going to flush with Motul RBF 600 this weekend (as super blue is no longer available in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
"This is one thing on my mind - in my last HPDE, I had some mad brake fade! Yes, I know, I'm sure driver error was largely at fault!"

Last time I boiled my brakes was in 2010 when I first started going to the track.

OP is experiencing vibrations which could be cause from a lot of different reasons: rotors, hubs, bearings, wheels and suspension components.
I actually realized that I never scrubbed the rust off the wheel hubs when I replaced my rotors 2 years ago before that HPDE. That could have been the culprit for the vibrations (and the rotors stopping at a certain point when spinning freely) as the rotor may not have been lying true against the hub. However, I just did a handful of hard stops from 90+ MPH (on a track...of course), and there were no vibrations. Now, stopping from 130 MPH at Road Atlanta may be a different story, but I'm thinking it may be fine for now.

Honestly, I'm thinking about just using the same old R1 Concepts rotors again with a new set of Cool Carbons. Especially as we have determined that Meyle rotors are not really track appropriate. I already own a front set of CC's, so I just ordered a rear set. I may try switching to a different pad next time around. I can use new pads with the same old rotors as long as they have only been used with Cool Carbons, correct?

If I can research in time, I may order a track set of rotors/pads (and use the Cool Carbon/R1 Concepts set for DD). However, I'm not sure I'll be able to do sufficient research for a well performing, but reasonably priced track set for it to be shipped in time for the HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post

Dude, you have 380mm F30 Performance Brakes... Not the same as our tiny stock rotors...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
I used a fresh can, and did a brake flush days before my last HPDE. However, that now was 2 years ago. I know, I'm overdue. I'm going to flush with Motul RBF 600 this weekend (as super blue is no longer available in the US).

I actually realized that I never scrubbed the rust off the wheel hubs when I replaced my rotors 2 years ago before that HPDE. That could have been the culprit for the vibrations (and the rotors stopping at a certain point when spinning freely) as the rotor may not have been lying true against the hub. However, I just did a handful of hard stops from 90+ MPH (on a track...of course), and there were no vibrations. Now, stopping from 130 MPH at Road Atlanta may be a different story, but I'm thinking it may be fine for now.

Honestly, I'm thinking about just using the same old R1 Concepts rotors again with a new set of Cool Carbons. Especially as we have determined that Meyle rotors are not really track appropriate. I already own a front set of CC's, so I just ordered a rear set. I may try switching to a different pad next time around. I can use new pads with the same old rotors as long as they have only been used with Cool Carbons, correct?

If I can research in time, I may order a track set of rotors/pads (and use the Cool Carbon/R1 Concepts set for DD). However, I'm not sure I'll be able to do sufficient research for a well performing, but reasonably priced track set for it to be shipped in time for the HPDE.
You are over thinking this. Get some cross hatched slotted rotors and some PFC08 and call it done.

I still don't get why people and some vendors here keep on insisting on using crappy street hybrid pads for track duty with stock brake system. Don't you think consistent braking performance is the least you should expect from your car when you are slowing down from +120mph every minute or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
+1 the cool carbons are great for the street and light/medium tracking, but anything more you would want a dedicated track pad.

Also CC pads have been updated 2014 on. Cool Carbon moved all manufacturing to a dedicated facility during 2014 allowing for complete control over all manufacturing aspects.CC did also make significant changes to processing that improved performance and adjusted the formulation / CC made all new tooling at the same time to improve product performance consistency.So the latest CC production is much improved over production prior to 2014

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0