E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xi with Bilstein HD and stock springs review

04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
robbs34
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
If you got HDs for the front then get them for the rear as well. I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match suspension. Also, the HD's increase ride height, so if you have them on the front and get another brand/sport models on the back the "rake" look will be exacerbated.

I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 with 38psi all the way around ( I mention that because at first I was running them at the runflat spec but that brought nothing but pain, suffering and loss of money... ). Car and Driver has a good wright up on the best non-Pilot Super Sports ( link ). The Hankooks came in 2nd. I was planning on trying the Kumho Ecstas next time since they came in 3rd, but their performance in the rain was poor. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain. In fact, I often find myself thinking that they handle better in it!
Thanks Craig - Baravarian has the HD front but not the rears. Do you have a link for them? Can't find them anywhere. Thanks for all the info
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Are they just out of stock (Mine took a month to get in!)? I would call them up, their website is awful. Also, you may want to try turner (link) or ecs tuning (link).
      05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
robbs34
Rep

Quote:
If you got HDs for the front then get them for the rear as well. I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match suspension. Also, the HD's increase ride height, so if you have them on the front and get another brand/sport models on the back the "rake" look will be exacerbated.

I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 with 38psi all the way around ( I mention that because at first I was running them at the runflat spec but that brought nothing but pain, suffering and loss of money... ). Car and Driver has a good wright up on the best non-Pilot Super Sports ( link ). The Hankooks came in 2nd. I was planning on trying the Kumho Ecstas next time since they came in 3rd, but their performance in the rain was poor. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain. In fact, I often find myself thinking that they handle better in it!
Upgrade Complete; paid a little more than I wanted but I definitely recommend the set up I have:

Bilstein HD Stock Spring

Falken PT722 215 55

New Alignment

Charcoal Delete

Couldn’t wait to jump in the car. What a difference. Still getting used to being able hit bumps at highway speed without the feeling of destroying the car.

Next upgrade - Power flex Bushings

Thanks for the advice - great stuff going on here.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
robbs34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbs34 View Post
Thanks Craig - Baravarian has the HD front but not the rears. Do you have a link for them? Can't find them anywhere. Thanks for all the info
AJ USA has them. out of San diego. Took forever for them to get delievered but their customer service is great.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbs34 View Post
Still getting used to being able hit bumps at highway speed without the feeling of destroying the car.
+1! I always dreaded going over bumps and pot holes.

I was at NJ Motorsports Park a few weeks ago with the NJ BMW CCA and the car handled much better than the first time I went. My instructor was shocked at the lack of body roll when I told him my car was a 2007. I told him I got Bilsteins back in the fall and then he realized why . He had a stripped down E92 M3 that was heavily tuned. Driving about 10 laps with him beats any roller coaster .

Side note: I told my shop that I was going to be doing the track event so they increased my negative camber slightly (Kept it within BMW's spec, so it won't eat tires) when they did my alignment. WOW, what a difference! I thought I could use an M3 rear sway but after that I think i'm good... who am I kidding, you can always use an thicker rear sway
      05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Hey,

In the market as well for new suspension and came across the Bilstein HD.

Do these work on stock sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

That's a good question. In this situation, I would definitely contact Bilstein and ask. They would be able to tell you exactly what you need.
      06-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

I have Bilstein HD's with the stock sport suspension springs. The car is improved relative to the OEM shocks. My only complaint is that the ride height is higher than it used to be and the look does bother me.
2014 F30 328i / Alpine White / Black Sensatec / 8AT (2TB) / ZMM / 494 / 609 / ZDA / ZLP
2015 F22 M235i / Alpine White / 6MT / ZTP / ZPP / ZDA / 494 / ZDM
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
IronBear
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Did you replace the springs for a new set or used the same ones? Is it necessary to replace the springs as well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Same springs. They had 84k miles on them and now have 95k and are still going strong! Yes, the ride height did increase slightly, but I still find myself scraping my front bumper. So on those occasions, I'm glad I didn't go lower.
      10-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

hey craig - what are your spring codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
hey craig - what are your spring codes?
12? I see a little sticker with a barcode on it and the number 12, or something that looks like a 12. I couldn't see it that well.
      10-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #35
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Hey Craig,

Thanks to your excellent write up, I have decided to go with the Bilstein HD setup! I have a rear shock leaking and need to replace it. An excellent excuse to upgrade, of course.

I have a question for you, though. Would you recommend changing to non-RFT tires on this setup? General consensus on the boards seems to be "yes" to that one. My question is whether I can "get away" with the RFT tires, or if I absolutely need to make that change.

The good news is that my stock 17-inch RFT all-seasons are almost completely worn out as well, so it's time to replace them anyway. I am just a little bit concerned about rolling around without a spare or run-flat capability.

Thanks for all your help!

Best,

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #36
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Alex,

My rear shock started leaking as well so that's when I made the switch!

Yes, I would recommend non-RFTs. I made the switch to them even before I installed the shocks and it made quite a difference. However, that doesn't mean it's the right decision for your circumstances. Do you drive long distances often? I don't, but now I carry a small air pump in my trunk, just incase (AAA is a good idea too). RFT seem like a great idea, but you still have to replace the tire! RFTs are just band aids... really expensive band aids.

So if I get a flat now, and it's nothing too crazy, I can at least pump it up, drive a little bit, and repeat. I should then be able to get it patched.

RFTs let me limp a long to the nearest tire place as well, but with a lot more ease. However, I'm still going to the tire place! So in the end, RFTs or not,I'm going to have to get my tire either fixed or replaced.

I read the letters to the editor in the BMW CCA's magazine (Roundel) and see both sides of it. The majority curse the day RFTs were created, but there's a few that praise them quite highly due to the RFTs getting them out of a bad situation (a story about a flat in high speed rush hour traffic, comes to mind).
      10-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Thanks, Craig! I read Roundel as well, but only recently started getting it. I drive in the city mostly (Providence), and make occasional longer trips around the state of RI. No trips longer than a hour. For real long trips, I have a fifth rim that I can take with me in the trunk. That rim is bent -- I need to send it out for repair first, of course, but once I throw a tire on it, I'm good.

The last time I got a flat, it was a puncture and a slow leak, which I repeatedly pumped up until getting it patched. That seems similar to your experience. I also have AAA, if I really need a tow. Perhaps I should buy a patch kit and a portable air compressor like you have... do you have a recommendation?

Seems like you are riding around with an only marginally increased risk of being stranded. Slow leaks are treated the same way with Run-Flat or Conventional tires. The difference seems to be that if there were a catastrophic loss of pressure, you would be stuck (with conventional tires).

Like other people, I'm having trouble getting the rear shocks. I already received the front shocks in the mail, but the other ones are hard to come by.

Thank you again!

Alex

PS - You may have already mentioned this, but did you pump up your tires more than the run-flat spec (32psi front/36psi rear) when you switched to conventional?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Thanks, Craig! I read Roundel as well, but only recently started getting it. I drive in the city mostly (Providence), and make occasional longer trips around the state of RI. No trips longer than a hour. For real long trips, I have a fifth rim that I can take with me in the trunk. That rim is bent -- I need to send it out for repair first, of course, but once I throw a tire on it, I'm good.

The last time I got a flat, it was a puncture and a slow leak, which I repeatedly pumped up until getting it patched. That seems similar to your experience. I also have AAA, if I really need a tow. Perhaps I should buy a patch kit and a portable air compressor like you have... do you have a recommendation?

Seems like you are riding around with an only marginally increased risk of being stranded. Slow leaks are treated the same way with Run-Flat or Conventional tires. The difference seems to be that if there were a catastrophic loss of pressure, you would be stuck (with conventional tires).

Like other people, I'm having trouble getting the rear shocks. I already received the front shocks in the mail, but the other ones are hard to come by.

Thank you again!

Alex

PS - You may have already mentioned this, but did you pump up your tires more than the run-flat spec (32psi front/36psi rear) when you switched to conventional?
So far I've never gotten a flat so I continue keeping my fingers crossed!

After talking to the mechanic, I would stay away from those "green slime" flat fixes. He said they make a huge mess on the inside and may affect our TPMS.

Are your rears on back order or are you still shopping around? If you're still shopping around which places have you contacted? It took me a month to get mine in...

Now about that tire pressure. YES, I had to pump up the tires and I learned the hard way ( here's my thread on the experience ). I now run my tires 40psi ( 42psi on the track ) all the way around. I was running 36/38, but now that the tread is on it's way out, 40 is the only way for me to get a smooth ride. Seems high, but their max is also pretty high at 50psi. I think that's due to them being summer tires with super soft tread ( I may not go back to this type due to the flat spotting issue )
      05-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #39
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Same springs. They had 84k miles on them and now have 95k and are still going strong! Yes, the ride height did increase slightly, but I still find myself scraping my front bumper. So on those occasions, I'm glad I didn't go lower.
About your cars height being raised after the hd shocks did you originally have stock sport springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #40
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoyo_3 View Post
I have Bilstein HD's with the stock sport suspension springs. The car is improved relative to the OEM shocks. My only complaint is that the ride height is higher than it used to be and the look does bother me.
Have any pics?. I'm in between stock sport springs with hd or b12 kit w eibach pro. If the ride height is raised that's a deal breaker for me. I might just do the b12 kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #41
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr335bob View Post
Have any pics?. I'm in between stock sport springs with hd or b12 kit w eibach pro. If the ride height is raised that's a deal breaker for me. I might just do the b12 kit.
Hey if you want to see mine, I have a recent post in the wheels forum http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post15711880
      05-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #42
Revision2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Hey if you want to see mine, I have a recent post in the wheels forum http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post15711880
First off, thanks for the review on the HDs! I'm in a similar boat as Pr335bob in that I'm tossing between just HD w/stock springs or the B12 kit for XI. Based on the pictures in that thread, it seems like the wheel gap is about 3 fingers up front and 2 fingers in the back? Btw, nice Apex wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #43
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision2 View Post
First off, thanks for the review on the HDs! I'm in a similar boat as Pr335bob in that I'm tossing between just HD w/stock springs or the B12 kit for XI. Based on the pictures in that thread, it seems like the wheel gap is about 3 fingers up front and 2 fingers in the back? Btw, nice Apex wheels.
Thanks!

Yes, what you said about the gap is accurate.
      05-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #44
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

ccraig- did your car settle a little in the weeks/months after the install. I had heard the HD will raise the car considerably (~1/2") but will eventually settle down.
Appreciate 0