E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OCC/Intake/Charpge-Pipe Installed - PCV Question

03-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

OCC/Intake/Charpge-Pipe Installed - PCV Question

I installed these things over the weekend:

Injen Intake
ER Charge Pipe (Long) w/Tial Q BOV
BMS OCC
BMS Cowl Filters

Everything went pretty well but during the removal of the stock PCV, the clip connected to the Flapper side (that I need) broke. I couldn't really find an easy way to fix it so I just cut the other end of the PCV that wasn't being re-used and fit a tube to it. Now the Flapper sits about 4" farther back than before. My idle is rough occasionally during warm-up, wondering if this is the cause. My first guess would've been a lose charge pipe/vacuum/intake but those are all snug. The thing that really bugs me is that it's only occasional. Runs smooth when driving, though.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The addition of an OCC shouldn't effect idle behavior, it's not changing the nature of the ventilation system, it just runs inline to capture vapors before they get dumped back into the rear turbo inlet. You could VTA if you really wanted to.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The addition of an OCC shouldn't effect idle behavior, it's not changing the nature of the ventilation system, it just runs inline to capture vapors before they get dumped back into the rear turbo inlet. You could VTA if you really wanted to.
Hmm, I see--ok. I'll check the line from my TIAL bov to intake manifold again, it's the only piece that really makes sense to me that could cause this.

So do I really need this flapper valve?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndq View Post
Hmm, I see--ok. I'll check the line from my TIAL bov to intake manifold again, it's the only piece that really makes sense to me that could cause this.

So do I really need this flapper valve?
Well you need something to connect the OCC tubing to the PCV vent. If you unplug it you'll VTA, which is fine but gnarly.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well you need something to connect the OCC tubing to the PCV vent. If you unplug it you'll VTA, which is fine but gnarly.
Right, no i meant more like-running a tube straight to OCC instead of the flapper.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

I would just replace the part, the clips will break on the PCV connector at some point as well. Trust me.

http://www.rbturbo.com/rb-oem-pcv-vent-hose

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would just replace the part, the clips will break on the PCV connector at some point as well. Trust me.

http://www.rbturbo.com/rb-oem-pcv-vent-hose
Considering how cheap it is, yeah.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Some folks are saying that since I have an OCC I can ditch this tube:

I'm thinking of removing it and adding an upgraded PCV valve. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:

I'm thinking of removing it and adding an upgraded PCV valve. Any thoughts on that?
You'll basically be ditching it.. You gotta cut it apart basically to install an OCC.

I installed the RB PCV valve and BMS OCC when I got my valves cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I use a clamp on my vent hose, OEM doesn't seal at all.
Attached Images

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

If you want, you can remove it. Shouldn't impact anything; it's literally just a tiny flapper in there that swings open. I think it's only there to prevent backflow, but it doesn't appear to seal all that well so I don't know if removing it would impact anything. I bought a new one when I installed my OCC since I broke a clip on the original flapper. Looking at how basic it is, I thought I should have just left it off.

It's not causing your rough idle though. I'd look more at the BOV or any other vacuum lines.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
You'll basically be ditching it.. You gotta cut it apart basically to install an OCC.

I installed the RB PCV valve and BMS OCC when I got my valves cleaned.
I was thinking of getting that PCV too. How hard is install? I heard you have to do some filing or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
If you want, you can remove it. Shouldn't impact anything; it's literally just a tiny flapper in there that swings open. I think it's only there to prevent backflow, but it doesn't appear to seal all that well so I don't know if removing it would impact anything. I bought a new one when I installed my OCC since I broke a clip on the original flapper. Looking at how basic it is, I thought I should have just left it off.

It's not causing your rough idle though. I'd look more at the BOV or any other vacuum lines.
Oh but it was. I pushed the hose back into place and the loud ticking inside the valve cover and rough idle immediately went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I use a clamp on my vent hose, OEM doesn't seal at all.
I'll probably end up doing that....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I was thinking of getting that PCV too. How hard is install? I heard you have to do some filing or something?

Oh but it was. I pushed the hose back into place and the loud ticking inside the valve cover and rough idle immediately went away.
No filing involved, here is my DIY:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875448
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:

I'm have the same thing going on, can u explain more which hose u pushed inside ? The one going to turbo inlet ??
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So you removed the flapper valve and used a regular hose to the OCC and it caused a rough idle? Or you pulled the hose off entirely and it caused a rough idle?

The PCV valve install takes 10 minutes. I think I'm the one who mentioned that the tabs have to be shaved down. Basically the RB is a tiny bit bigger than the OEM so there are 4 tabs on the cap. I couldn't get the RB PCV in without taking a razor to the tabs. Literally just shaved a tiny bit off. I supposed you could force it on there, but it seemed easier to trim a tiny bit. If you bought the RB cap, you probably wouldn't need to do anything. Or if your OEM valve had a slightly looser tolerance, maybe no shaving is necessary.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
I'm have the same thing going on, can u explain more which hose u pushed inside ? The one going to turbo inlet ??
I'm talking about my hose connected to the pcv valve:

See, I broke one of the clips during my OCC install...So I just cleanly broke off all the clips and fitted a rubber hose over the end of the hose where the clip used to be that fit up to the flapper portion and then jammed it over the PCV. When it comes loose, the ticking inside the engine is insane and the idle is shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
So you removed the flapper valve and used a regular hose to the OCC and it caused a rough idle? Or you pulled the hose off entirely and it caused a rough idle?

The PCV valve install takes 10 minutes. I think I'm the one who mentioned that the tabs have to be shaved down. Basically the RB is a tiny bit bigger than the OEM so there are 4 tabs on the cap. I couldn't get the RB PCV in without taking a razor to the tabs. Literally just shaved a tiny bit off. I supposed you could force it on there, but it seemed easier to trim a tiny bit. If you bought the RB cap, you probably wouldn't need to do anything. Or if your OEM valve had a slightly looser tolerance, maybe no shaving is necessary.
No, I still have the flapper valve connected. I just had to rig it since one of the retention clips during removal. I didn't have a clamp to put over it since I was doing it late night and shops were closed and being the stubborn, impatient person I am...I had to finish what I was doing that night. The solution may be to just take it all apart and re-seal it.

Is this RB cap/PCV really worth it, though? Holy shit $120 for a PCV and a cap...seems a little...overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #19
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just get the pcv valve, the cap isn't necessary unless yours is broken.

If you pulled the hose and didn't cap off the other end, there would be a vacuum leak I believe. That would cause a rough idle. But the pcv should be one way so if the other side was capped off, you could bent pcv to atmosphere.

Quote:
No, I still have the flapper valve connected. I just had to rig it since one of the retention clips during removal. I didn't have a clamp to put over it since I was doing it late night and shops were closed and being the stubborn, impatient person I am...I had to finish what I was doing that night. The solution may be to just take it all apart and re-seal it.

Is this RB cap/PCV really worth it, though? Holy shit $120 for a PCV and a cap...seems a little...overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm talking about my hose connected to the pcv valve:

See, I broke one of the clips during my OCC install...So I just cleanly broke off all the clips and fitted a rubber hose over the end of the hose where the clip used to be that fit up to the flapper portion and then jammed it over the PCV. When it comes loose, the ticking inside the engine is insane and the idle is shit.
Hey man I put a metal O RING on the metal bracket it seems pretty fastened now... The idle is better but still not like before.. anything else to check ? Maybe I'll RTV it
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
Hey man I put a metal O RING on the metal bracket it seems pretty fastened now... The idle is better but still not like before.. anything else to check ? Maybe I'll RTV it
Which metal bracket?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which metal bracket?
the tab that I broke, put the screw on Ring over it and its pretty snug now ... I also checked the Oring in the PCV cap was kinda loose I replaced with a new one, whatelse can I do (Its def better but somethings missing)
Appreciate 0