E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 335DCT with RHD downpipes, AA Tune and IC

04-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

335DCT with RHD downpipes, AA Tune and IC

I thought i would share what i have been currently working on. It is a new 335DCT E93 that the owner wants to get a little more power out of before commiting to the M3 E93 with an Active Autowerke Supercharger.

The customer wanted the Downpipes, tune, and intercooler.

As many of you know the trials and tribulations i have been going through with the RHD fitment issues i will not revisit that here, but finally i can say this fitment on the current production range fit well.

All the pics are of the RHD downpipes as installed to this car. I also installed O2 sims as these are catless Dp's. When Dp's are installed you should allow approx 100kms for the adaption to take place, but as i had done this on the 135i's i have done previously with my working pipes, i decided to run it up to see how it behaved initially under light loads. I was surprised to see it run so lean initially and how it changed while it adapted. The car sounds louder, you can here the spool up, it is louder at idle. After some running time on the dyno we ran it up with no tune or IC and from stock it made 9rwkw. More is expected as the other parts as added and more adaption time is had.

When i got back from driving it, i really spent some time trying to feel the difference with just DP's installed. As most people go for a tune first i thought it interesting just to feel DP's on there own for a change. But anyway when i got back i installed an Active Autowerke intercooler. Initially you can see how large the Intercooler is compared to standard and you can see how this intercooler is thinner than the stock unit. Personally i wasn't expecting much just with an Intercooler as i have done many before on 135i's previoulsy.

I then installed the Active Autowerke Active Processor. It is the first time i have installed one on a DCT car. I changed the preset tune for it and uploaded the tune that has been created for Downpipes and Intercooler. I love being able to upload a tune so easily it makes a big difference from all the coding and programming of late model BMW vehicles i do everyday as part of my BMW service and maintenance business.

I ran the car over night taking it easy then ran the car on the dyno earlier today and managed 241rwkw. Overall a good result as the DCT changes mean the power is in the torque range all the time and makes it 'feel' to me very powerful to me any time you are accelerating. I was personally looking for the 250rwkw number as that is the number i am regaularly seeing on the 135i's now with similar tuning options. So seeing 60rwkw increase over standard is a nice result as that is approx 100 extra HP at the engine making this a nice car to drive everyday.

Green line is stock, blue is with catless DP's only, and puink is with Active Autowerke intercooler and Tune.

I'll put up more photos on my website over the weekend here
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E93 325i, is350 F

Can you fit this on e93 325i ? im desperate for more power
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

No it is not a 325i part only for 335i or 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
MNR0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)

Is there still that characteristic lag to 2000rpm where you go heavy on the pedal and it thinks twice before going? Hell it even happens when you are at 60kph and want to overtake...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

awesome, big gains.. what sort of coins are we talking about?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Those DP's look great Andrew. I imagine the gains would be even better with the tune. Have you designed them or are the Riss pipes?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

It's a big long story on the pipes. They are a Riss product but the original ones didn't fit that i ordered a year or so ago. I cut up about 6 sets to get something that came close to fitting and positioning of the O2 sensors was an issue as there is not much room to play with. So with hundreds or hours in it and big bucks spent, i made 5 sets running on cars that we tested on to check how they went out in the field. That info was all collated and then we made a complete fitting set of catted and catless pipes for production. I sent the other sets back and then was told we would get production sets done. The catless production sets do now fit as i fitted them to the above car, they made power, they look nice, and overall a good result. It would be cool if i had others with other brand tunes available so they could do testing to, but i don't have anyone i know with JB's or Procede's to play with in Melbourne

So i tested the catless systems as well but there is another fitment issue on those so am hoping to get another car in to sort out the final issues and get them to market....So much for production eh! So i have another 10 sets of catted gathering dust until i can get them fitted up.

Sorry to be so stright up about it, but this was meant to be straight forward job the the DP's and i have way way to much money 'invested' in these that i will never see again and way too much labour time so i am kinda keen just to know they fit and work, plus for all those people who keep asking and i have to say 'soon' it just does my head in sometimes. Relying on others to get stuff done is no way to sell a product imo.....

Now on a positive note, the owner is loving the set up now, it's really great to get positive feedback on the setups i do. SBM 20 is really a rewarding car to drive. The shove up the road is sensational but impossible to compare, i have just finished 2 supercharged E46 M3's and people ask me all the time what i prefer, but man, that shove up the road would be hard to beat anything i have been involved in.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Thanks for all the info Andrew,

I'd be keen to fit a set of catless dp's with my Procede. I was a little nervous at first, but I've heard the exhaust smell isn't an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

no problem, ring or email when you are ready.
Appreciate 0