E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > thoughts: 10W HPB angel eyes installed

02-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
unyi3lding
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Cool thoughts: 10W HPB angel eyes installed

Hello everyone,

Ordered the new 10W LED angel eyes off HPB (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nebmwaneyupw1.html), and just installed today. So far so good; very impressive light intensity, no error codes (even on my finicky '06).

One snag was with the installation. I am still in the middle of working with HPB on resolving this, so I'll post full details later. However, keep it in mind if you're on the verge of impulse buying..

In an effort to more accurately compare LED vs halogen, I put together some HDR shots...Take a look

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

looks the same as my mtec v2
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

********* made the statement that there is an upper limit to light output on the stock rings. At some point no more lumens can be thrown forward no matter how bright the bulb. Photos are hard to tell. They seem nice but not outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
diggins
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Nice, thanks for the pics. How do they look with the headlights on?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
********* made the statement that there is an upper limit to light output on the stock rings. At some point no more lumens can be thrown forward no matter how bright the bulb. Photos are hard to tell. They seem nice but not outrageous.
I mean, this is clearly a bright, yet reasonably-priced option. It appears the same as another members MTEC V2 (just based off of photo evidence, no conclusive testing done yet!), but it is half the price (MTEC V3 vs. HPB 10W).

This is the beauty of capitalism. Competition lowers prices, and gives the consumers more options.

Will the 10W H8 AE's be as bright or brighter than the LUX H8 V3's, or the MTEC H8's? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is, now we have another choice.

I for one support our reasonably priced modification overlords
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Corner delete ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Nice
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
I mean, this is clearly a bright, yet reasonably-priced option. It appears the same as another members MTEC V2 (just based off of photo evidence, no conclusive testing done yet!), but it is half the price (MTEC V3 vs. HPB 10W).

This is the beauty of capitalism. Competition lowers prices, and gives the consumers more options.

Will the 10W H8 AE's be as bright or brighter than the LUX H8 V3's, or the MTEC H8's? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is, now we have another choice.

I for one support our reasonably priced modification overlords
lol, agreed
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
I totally agree with this because I've tested it myself. Check my post here of my experiment:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=228

Sorry I don't have any pictures but believe me, it was hard to tell the difference from the Lux 5.1 (6Watts). My design has TWO 10W LED on it, one for each tube and it was no where near as what I had hoped and what it looked like on paper.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
unyi3lding
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

as requested, pic with xenons on

Word of caution to everyone: installation issue still hasn't been resolved yet; still working it out with HPB, but as it stands right now, there is a very big reason that I cannot recommend this product. Details to follow soon, after I give HPB a chance to resolve this!

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

I hope you get the installation problem solved. Installation aside this would be a very good deal and they look excellent. Of course, we will all be interested to hear what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

I received my set of 10w from this company in the mail yesterday and tried to install and they seem to be too big for the cover to go back on, and they also are not bright IMO. I emailed HPB and they said they have yet to install a set on the E90.... I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakeboost View Post
I received my set of 10w from this company in the mail yesterday and tried to install and they seem to be too big for the cover to go back on, and they also are not bright IMO. I emailed HPB and they said they have yet to install a set on the E90.... I'm confused.
There's clearly an issue with installing them, for now, I would wait until they figure it out. They haven't shipped out too many thus far, so im sure they'll help you make it right. This is what happens with products in any industry sometimes, just the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep

Exactly, although I was very excited to put them in I'm trying to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
There's clearly an issue with installing them, for now, I would wait until they figure it out. They haven't shipped out too many thus far, so im sure they'll help you make it right. This is what happens with products in any industry sometimes, just the way it is.
I'm wondering if they did R&D on these things didn't they install a sample before releasing it? I know people are really pleased with a lot of their products but sounds like this one fell through the cracks. Who knows. It would be good if someone can clear this up with pics and such.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge
Quote:
I'm wondering if they did R&D on these things didn't they install a sample before releasing it? I know people are really pleased with a lot of their products but sounds like this one fell through the cracks. Who knows. It would be good if someone can clear this up with pics and such.
In the email they replied with to my concerns they actually stated they have not installed these on an e90 yet.. These LEDs are a joke, I feel the company is trying to work with me here but i have torn my car apart 3 times now trying to install these and I finally have them barely in there and I'm still having issues and they are not anything special. I would love to go back in and take pictures for everyone but I dont feel like it

I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back today.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
In the email they replied with to my concerns they actually stated they have not installed these on an e90 yet.. These LEDs are a joke, I feel the company is trying to work with me here but i have torn my car apart 3 times now trying to install these and I finally have them barely in there and I'm still having issues and they are not anything special. I would love to go back in and take pictures for everyone but I dont feel like it

I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back today.
What are you hoping to hear back? A lot of the AE upgrades are difficult to install because of the location and the size. The ones with a tight fit eventually fit it just takes patience. There are a bunch of threads and post about LUX for instance that its hard to install but eventually people get them in. Looking at the pictures above the upgrade appears to be better then stock. However, there is nothing special about an angel eye kit in the price range its in. The only thing different is its using high quality hardware, Cree leds. Whereas other solution use cheap knock offs that fail and or dont produce enough output. If you want something special plan on spending a few hundred for OSS.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm hoping to hear that maybe they will begin to test run their product before releasing it blindly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping to hear that maybe they will begin to test run their product before releasing it blindly.
Just for the record, HPB is a small business--actually a very small business. As far as I know, you can count the number of employees on one or (maybe) two hands. I think what they meant when they said "we have not tested this on an E90 yet" is more "no one at our shop has an E90 Pre-LCI with xenons, so we weren't able to test-fit it".

So this was the first batch, and this customer response is absolutely critical for a company like this. They will not leave you in the dust. They will make the changes nececary, and everything will work out.

But I don't want people to expect these 10W's to magically give their headlights an E92 LCI-look in direct sunlight. Because they won't. The only thing that can do that is a full LED-ring replacement, ex. OSS or *********'s setup. These 10W's are simply another choice in the PnP department, and they're very good for a PnP unit under $100!

Last edited by rollinstone157; 02-07-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
These 10W's are simply another choice in the PnP department, and they're very good for a PnP unit under $100!
I agree with you on this. It's a good price if it fits right. Sounds like they are trying to work through this with the customer. It's not like they are giving him the "arma" approach. Let's just wait and see what happens. Sorry OP for going through this but stick it through.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
unyi3lding
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted many replies; really hard to find time to work on my car, and work is keeping me swamped...

brakeboost has pretty much summarized all of the issues; reinstalling the cover (the cup one, that covers just the angel eye bulb) isn't fitting because this kit has some extra doo-dads. HPB admits to not being able to test these before selling (which, as a guy that works in product design/development, I am not impressed with).

I am coming up with some solutions, and will post them asap

thanks for your patience!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep

You guys are right, I just posted this after install... I was pissed and tired lol but I'm still waiting to hear back so we shall see.
Appreciate 0