E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > warranty thought

View Poll Results: what to do with warrenty
keep warrenty, leave car standard 9 50.00%
save money and take the risk, do as i want with the car 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

02-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #23
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy2 View Post
ok this is seeming to be more promising, im never going to go mad, only intend to do a stage 1 mhd flash with no other enhancing mods, body will have a spoiler fitted and grills, and wheels
I'm running JB4 so when the car goes in I do turn it off.

I'm really just wanting the Injectors done as that's the only major expense that could go on mine really.
      02-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Also the other problem with warranty as you show is for things like suspension which can be really subjective it is a nightmare to get a claim. Out of warranty you simply but a full set of coilovers and be done with it. With warranty you end up with fresh shocks on the rear and dying ones on the back :P
Tbh I still have done anyway as I'd rather upgrade on most things.

Which does lead me to another point which is that when we think about the costs involved for repairs it is at the dealer pricing structure. So if you didn't have the warranty you wouldn't take it to the dealers anyway and get it done much cheaper (usually in my case by modding it too lol).
      02-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #25
jhandy2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

see what your saying, wonder if MHD is traceable if its flashed back to stock a week or so before going into bmw :/
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #26
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Megane Cup-S

I kept my warranty running on my 330i across the 4 years I had it. It was around £35 a month. Had my moneys worth & peace of mind it buys is amazing.

I moved on to a E92 M3 last year and just renewed warranty at £950. Now the M3 is if what you read more reliable....... but when it goes wring the bills can be very big & while I can afford to run the car I cannot swallow an engine or a gearbox bill. Which is what I have it for. But if it hoovers up a few smaller items each year then all good.

Also feel if you sell it with a chunk (even 2-3 months) of warranty that's a big pro for the buyer as he gets a few months cover ( & a cheaper premium if the decide to renew)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #27
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Mine was at a similar mileage to yours when I bought, I didn't opt for a BMW warranty & within the first year I had to pay out for a hpfp & a water pump & recently the valve cover & oil filter housing gaskets, the only other warranty covered items I've replaced are the coils & the radiator.
Although had I had a BMW extended warranty my turbos would have been replaced twice due to my bmw dealers miss diagnosis, I was also told my injectors needed replacing a couple of years ago, turned out to be a £70 sensor issue.
So if I'd bought a BMW warranty I'd now have a lot of shiny new parts on my car that I didn't actually need, although nice to have & I would have paid out somewhere between £3.5 - 5k in premiums & excess fees. I would also have had higher servicing costs & I wouldn't have been able to have had the engine/gearbox remapp or the mishimoto intercooler.
I did have extended bmw on my e39 540i which I renewed throughout my ownership unfortunately it was often in my local dealers having problems fixed, which most of the 'problems' were again down to either the dealers incompetence or them just rinsing the warranty. One example they diagnosed a faulty steering box, the repaire bill was over 2k, it was actually the power steering pump that was at fault, a £250 job
But for peace of mind at least for the first year it may be a safe bet to have it.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 02-22-2018 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #28
jhandy2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Mine was at a similar mileage to yours when I bought, I didn't opt for a BMW warranty & within the first year I had to pay out for a hpfp & a water pump & recently the valve cover & oil filter housing gaskets, the only other warranty covered items I've replaced are the coils & the radiator.
Although had I had a BMW extended warranty my turbos would have been replaced twice due to my bmw dealers miss diagnosis, I was also told my injectors needed replacing a couple of years ago, turned out to be a £70 sensor issue.
So if I'd bought a BMW warranty I'd now have a lot of shiny new parts on my car that I didn't actually need, although nice to have & I would have paid out somewhere between £3.5 - 5k in premiums & excess fees. I would also have had higher servicing costs & I wouldn't have been able to have had the engine/gearbox remapp or the mishimoto intercooler.
I did have extended bmw on my e39 540i which I renewed throughout my ownership unfortunately it was often in my local dealers having problems fixed, which most of the 'problems' were again down to either the dealers incompetence or them just rising the warranty. One example they diagnosed a faulty steering box, the repaire bill was over 2k, it was actually the power steering pump that was at fault, a £250 job
But for peace of mind at least for the first year it may be a safe bet to have it.

My only real issues are turbos and injectors
It had waterpump and hpfp last year with the new owner..
It seems a pretty hit and miss car with faults. You eitherbuy a good one and hey lucky or End up with loads of bits needing doing. There's no real inbetween

I think as I'm going Germany in June I'll keep hold of it untill after the trip. There's nothing 2000 miles in a weekend won't find a fault
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #29
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Let my warranty expire in July 2016 and since then the only thing that would have been covered was the MAF sensor and at £289 hardly a worry, with the excess of £100 or £250.
Appreciate 0