Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cheaper alternative for the $340 spare tire kit.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #45
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

The spare tire kit I purchased came with a spacer to make up for the difference in offset between the compact spare and stock wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #46
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

We have the emergency road service and towing for $12/ 6 months on our auto insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #47
keshke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i Premium 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
The spare tire kit I purchased came with a spacer to make up for the difference in offset between the compact spare and stock wheels.
Any chance you know what size of the spacer is?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #48
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Cool

I really lucked out! These 'used' E60 spare tire kits are selling like hot cakes from $150 to $350 on eBay with everyone and their mom trying to buy one!

However I spent $60 (shipping $32) to get a brand new E60 spare tire set and an E38 7 series BMW Jack off eBay.

This price point was the only way I was going to buy this because spending over a $100 for a ten year old spare donut set does not make sense to me.

The spare actually fits very well in the trunk with a lot more space left over for normal everyday travel or even a weekend trip with luggage tucked in there.

I opted to not get the foam tool holder tray because the BMW jack and a tire iron fit under the mat with room left over for my slime kit and jumper cables and emergency blanket and first aid kit. My jack says it is for a E38 7 series but it fits well into my OEM square jack point. The 7 series jack seems like a beefier jack compared to the standard 5 and 3 series jack. My spare is from a 2008 535xiT and it was unused.

Everything arrived in the mail tonight. When I have time this weekend I am going to see how this E60 spare wheel fit over my brake rotors and calipers.
Attached Images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 08-09-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #49
spac3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I really lucked out! These 'used' E60 spare tire kits are selling like hot cakes from $150 to $350 on eBay with everyone and their mom trying to buy one!

However I spent $60 (shipping $32) to get a brand new E60 spare tire set and an E38 7 series BMW Jack off eBay.

This price point was the only way I was going to buy this because spending over a $100 for a ten year old spare donut set does not make sense to me.

The spare actually fits very well in the trunk with a lot more space left over for normal everyday travel or even a weekend trip with luggage tucked in there.

I opted to not get the foam tool holder tray because the BMW jack and a tire iron fit under the mat with room left over for my slime kit and jumper cables and emergency blanket and first aid kit. My jack says it is for a E38 7 series but it fits well into my OEM square jack point. The 7 series jack seems like a beefier jack compared to the standard 5 and 3 series jack. My spare is from a 2008 535xiT and it was unused.

Everything arrived in the mail tonight. When I have time this weekend I am going to see how this E60 spare wheel fit over my brake rotors and calipers.
Did you test the fit? I've heard E60 spares need a spacer on E90s due to offset differences
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #50
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spac3 View Post
Did you test the fit? I've heard E60 spares need a spacer on E90s due to offset differences
I had to order a proper tire iron (lug removal tool) since the S shaped one that come with the BMW tire kits are impossible to use and couldn't even budge a mosquito's eye lash!

I ordered it on amazon and it should get to me by the end of the week. Then I will see how the spare fits.

I don't have the big brake kit nor do I have sport package so I should be exempt from any rubbing. fingers crossed tho...
Attached Images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #51
hawkinpup
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I had to order a proper tire iron (lug removal tool) since the S shaped one that come with the BMW tire kits are impossible to use and couldn't even budge a mosquito's eye lash!

I ordered it on amazon and it should get to me by the end of the week. Then I will see how the spare fits.

I don't have the big brake kit nor do I have sport package so I should be exempt from any rubbing. fingers crossed tho...
So how did it go did everything fit? no Rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:51 AM   #52
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Tire goop and compressor

Low profiles dont blow catastrophic anyway, whether theyre RFT or not most are limpable on sidewalls with 0 psi
Appreciate 0