E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > how long does it take for oil to drain from filter back into crankcase

01-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

like the title states, i was wondering how long it takes. the other day i pulled in the driveway from a 10 min drive. let the car sit for 15 mins or so then opened oil cap, started draining the oil and went to open the oil filter cap. when i did, alot of oil spilled out onto the alternator and belt n whatnot. i was like wtf. and the filter was real hard n kinda sucked in so i ripped it off the plastic filter cage thing. i cant remember if it was a bosch or k&n filter. i put a new mann filter in now. am i suppose to wait longer or u guys think it was a bad filter. i changed both o rings and lubed em up btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

The oil filter housing will stay full, until you start removing the filter cap. Just do it slowly, especially when you get near the end of the threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

i was worried the pistons or watever werent being lubricated properly if the filter was clogged. i drove it for a couple months with that same filter
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
The oil filter housing will stay full, until you start removing the filter cap. Just do it slowly, especially when you get near the end of the threads.
o really? o ok good. i was just wondering because ive changed my oil on this car probably 5 or 6 times before and that never happened. thanks for the quick reply
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
That's why it's quite a good idea when re-filling after an oil change to put half a litre or so into the filter housing before fitting the new filter...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i
That's why it's quite a good idea when re-filling after an oil change to put half a litre or so into the filter housing before fitting the new filter...
good tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

The oil filter housing won't drain quickly since it is the highest point in the engine, but has no vent above it. If you slightly loosen the oil filter cap, this will allow air in and it will drain faster. Loosen it too much though, and the oil drains out from the cap an makes a mess.

If you wait a while, even without loosening the cap, it will drain, but not as fast as the rest of the system.