E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Barclaycard Scam

01-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Barclaycard Scam

I just got a statement through the post the other day, only just openned it now. I have a transaction for £69.99 from Leisure Time.
So I typed in Leisure time in google and got this page http://www.jonathanmacdonald.com/?p=2254

It seems I am not the only one. I called up my barclaycard, obviously they are closed, so I had to deal with the clueless asians, to cancel the transaction. To only find out that they cannot cancel this transaction. I tried to explain to the prat, that he has to send me forms, i fill it out, and they give my money back. But suprise suprise, it doesnt apply this.

So basically, barclaycard has given them my account details, and they have gone ahead and signed me up for a 12 month contract without my knowledge.

I actually remember recieving a few times some random letter with the name Leisure time, and it looked like a scam, so i threw it in the bin. So unless it said on the letter "if we dont hear from you, then we take it you want to join", then i have no idea, how they could this, and how on earth did they convince barclaycard to give them my details!

Anway, barclaycard said i would need to call them, but i know what will happen "you are in a 12 month contract, you cannot cancel, and no refunds"

C*nts.
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
gerbil_b
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia DSG TDi

Garage List
2008 318i  [0.00]
2006 Hyundai Coupe  [0.00]
thanks for the heads up mate, will have to check my statements !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

If it was me i would ask to speak with a team leader at the call centre explain how you would settle you Barclycard bill in full minus the £69.99 and would be no longer using it until the issue was sorted out and how i hold them fully responsible for the mess.

My son had a similar issue back in August with Abbey they were in fact worse than useless ,They told him he must have given his details out to somebody,he explained that if you google the issue hundreds of people were experiencing the same shit ,no apology nothing he did get his money back along with new card etc .but the aggro was so avoidable there doesnt seam any common sence with these people
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I havent used my barclaycard for years. Thats why, when i got a statement through the post, and saw the transaction for £69.99, i was like wtf !

I thought about cancelling, but they would still ask for the oustanding balance of 69.99. Now if i do not pay this, will it not effect my credit?
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
gerbil_b
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia DSG TDi

Garage List
2008 318i  [0.00]
2006 Hyundai Coupe  [0.00]
I would have thought it would affect your credit. At the end of the day they will just put a missed/non payment against your file.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Mate, really sorry to hear this and thanks for the heads up.

Carefull of your choice of words though cos some of the pricks on this forum will belong along shortly to brand you a racist.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
zaytar
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Mate, really sorry to hear this and thanks for the heads up.

Carefull of your choice of words though cos some of the pricks on this forum will belong along shortly to brand you a racist.

Racist how?

All replies appear to have taken the statement the way it was intended. Unless you were referring to yourself as the prick who comes along and goes off topic....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytar View Post
Racist how?

All replies appear to have taken the statement the way it was intended. Unless you were referring to yourself as the prick who comes along and goes off topic....
Ummm, he is not talking to you, he is referring to words from the TS, in the very first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR
...so I had to deal with the clueless asians...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
zaytar
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
he is referring to words from the TS, in the very first post.
Derrrr! so was I. How could he have been talking to me as I'd not posted on this topic previously.

How exactly is the statement 'clueless asians' racist?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Sorry to hear that mate, you need to WRITE to Barclaycard, its the easiest way to sort this (although not the quickest)

They should refund this without you having to contact this LeisureTime company.

I had this happen to me with some insurance company who cover Sky, NatWest refunded me there and then.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Xkalibar isn't racist.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yeah contact barclaycard....and also leisure time....get both of them to refund you...obviously, they both will say its up to the other to sort it out!...

not paying, will appear on ur credit record...those bastards!....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
i still don´t understand how you can enter a contract by default??

Surely there must have been a prelim. agreement which led on to the 12 contract?

How can Barclays knowingly give your account details on, without your consent??

Basicaly , any bank could creat fake companys, and then shell their customers account details on for a right good rinsing !!

Odd country you live in .. :?

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a read of this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1181405&page=2

If I was a betting man I would suggest that Barclaycard call centre staff have been given incentives to sign customers up to this 'service' by phone.

Sounds as if certain unscrupulous types have put customers down as a 'yes' even if they are a 'no'.

To Excalibar - don't accept any statements that this is anything other than a fraudulent transaction. If you have not agreed to the payment, that that is all that it can be. I would press this hard with the fraud team at Barclaycard. Even if you had signed paperwork, this would be reversible within 14 days under distance selling regulations.

Barclaycard are going to be taken to town over this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I got barclaycard by the balls. I spoke to a UK branch today, who then forwarded me onto leisuretime, who are going to send me document with my signature, to show that i signed up for it.
However.....
Yesterday, when i spoke to the call centre in india, I recorded the phone conversation. In this conversation, the guy admitted that the deal was done over the phone, and that he would get me the recording to prove this.
Whilst i spoke to the UK call centre today, I let her listen to the phone conversation, and it left her in a sticky situation.
On the one hand, i have barclaycard admitting that they signed me up for it over the phone, and on the other hand i have leisuretime who tell me otherwise.
Oh and suprise suprise, the guy at the indian call centre didnt even request for the recording to be found for the deal.

This could get interesting
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update. I have recieved a letter from Leisure Time 5 days after i spoke to them. Suprise suprise, not the letter i was expecting. I was expecting the letter i asked for, which was to show that i signed up for their scam. Instead I recieved a letter to confirm that they have cancelled my imaginery account.

I will also be closing down my Barclays Premier account including my savings, if they refuse to help me in this matter. I dont care if barclaycard is a different company, the fact remains they are both named barclays.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Have you notified the FSA of their behaviour?
      01-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Have you notified the FSA of their behaviour?
Should do this. Barclaycard need to take some pain on this one. Effectively a barclaycard employee has made a fraudulent transaction on your card.

I'd call Barclaycards fraud team and tell them that I would go to the police unless they investigated.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #19
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

+1, sounds like fraud it their end. You need to be careful with letters that are sent to you though. It is a common trick now with car insurance to send you a renewal letter that says 'unless we hear from you we will automatically renew'. Had this with my wifes car insurance and it took 3 months to get the money back. Capital One were useless so cancelled the card, 10 years custom lost!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #20
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I've got a Barclaycard here, unused and unactivated. Perhaps I'll not even bother activating it now for fear of attracting these phantom charges.
      01-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I believe it hurts them in the pocket. If the FSA receive a complaint about a financial company, that company is charged an initial £300 regardless of whether the complaint has any merit. If enough people complain x £300, that may receive their attention.
Appreciate 0