E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > BimmerRetrofit CIC install review

09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

BimmerRetrofit CIC install review

Just wanted to post up my experiences installing the CIC systems in my 2008 E93.

I originally started thinking about it about a month ago, a few people had them for sale on the forum, but most were based in Europe and all seemed like nice guys, but none were a business which concerned me if I had issues, problems down the road etc., so I decided to not bother and just keep my CCC.

Then a couple weeks ago I ran across the folks in Canada at bimmerretrofit and I checked out their website and their threads on the forum. There were happy customers a very professional looking setup and lots of activity by them on the forum.

I contacted them and received an immediate response from Kate who patiently answered all my questions and made me feel really good about their capabilities. Kate explained everything to me, checked my VIN and told me what was and was not possible and put a CIC package together for me with a reverse camera as part of the install.

It all made me feel very confident in their abilities and I pulled the trigger - Kate indicated it takes about a week for them to put everything together code and update and then it would be shipped. I ordered on a Sunday (at which time I had a payment issue with my credit card and Kate got right back to me and let me know what the issue was - used another card and was off!).

Everything shipped that Friday (just like Kate said) and it arrived in Boston on Monday!

I was travelling, but very excited to install the following weekend - everything was very well packaged, complete and I also received all the instructions via email when everything was shipped.

I started the install on Sunday following the instructions - had a couple questions along the way and received responses from Alex again on a Sunday (how is that for service!). Everything went together as directed in the instructions and worked right away (hardest part was fitting the extra Y cable and connectors behind the unit as it is a bit tight and running the video cable up to the new display!).

Everything has been in the car for a couple days, backup camera came pre-programmed and 2012 maps loaded.

I can't say enough about the ease in dealing with bimmerretrofit and the great service and support they have during the process.

Big thanks to Kate and Alex for their patience and support and for the quality of the whole kit.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sorry - Iphone 5 pics - they still suck as much as pics from all other iphones!

Also - because I have an E93, the roof button is a bit in the way to install the new idrive controller, so I kept the CCC controller and it works flawlessly with the CIC system.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by roadkillrob; 09-25-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Nice, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
CrazyTiger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

can you pm me the overall cost?? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for sharing your experience! Happy customers make us happy
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoto1983 View Post
can you pm me the overall cost?? thanks!
For any pricing inquiries you may contact us directly at info@bimmerretrofit.com, please include your VIN # and we will be happy to help!

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
BayerischeNJ
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Since I cannot create a thread yet due to my low post number I will piggyback on this thread to review bimmerretrofit.

I have an 09 BMW X6 50i fully loaded of options (check www.bmwvin.com LZ92594)

I decided to do the CCC to CIC iDrive conversion after being frustrated with the slowness of the CCC. For example PDC and backup camera would appear after you've already backed up and you're on drive, or looking for music on my 128GB USB stick would be an exercise of patience.

I had to wait a while for the kit to be available for my vehicle because I assume they deal with many orders but paid for it in full ahead of time nonetheless. After having read online about the installation procedures, I decided to drive up to Chateaugay from NJ for a weekend so I could have Vlad perform the install as previously agreed and setup with Alex. Vlad was very thorough and explained me the process every step of the way, and ALL of my options were fully seamlessly integrated as if my vehicle came from the factory with the CIC iDrive. After a few weeks now of driving I can confirm that everything plays perfectly like a charm, all of the option.

I was very anxious to let anyone than a certified BMW technician play with my ultimate driving machine, but bimmerretrofit did not disappoint. I unfortunately did not take pictures during the install but I can take after pictures and post them
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
kavehh
Rep
Drives: 330D

Garage List
2008 BME 330D  [0.00]
Trim Question

Hi
Does anyone know the part number for this walnut trim

I am looking for centre console trim which fit with new CIC iDrive.

I am not sure if BMW still making these walnut trims that fits new CIC controller.

I visited BMW but they werent much helpful and I was told the guy who acn answer my question will be back next week!!!

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...24&hg=51&fg=35

Part #26 if you need the ashtray cover also, Part #27 without the ashtray

Guessing it is this part #if you have burl walnut - if you have light walnut there is a different number (also be careful with as some woods are called the same but the grain changed over the years and doesn't match well - I think walnut is ok, Gray poplar changed though.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a retrofit kit where you just cut your existing console trim out and fit in a new trim that fits the new idrive controller - looks 98% as good as replacing your trim for about 400 less - just has a slightly wider edge to it than the original trim would - bimmerretrofit can probably hook you up with it! If you want original trim, below.

For vehicles with
Fine wood trim burr walnut
and
On-board monitor with TV = No
and
Navigation system Business = No
and
Navigation system Professional
S4ABA=Yes

S602A=No

S606A=No

S609A=Yes
27 Trim cover center console, walnut, front NUSSBAUMWURZEL 1 03/2009 51169170936

Light Walnut

For vehicles with
Fine-wood trim walnut light
and
On-board monitor with TV = No
and
Navigation system Business = No
and
Navigation system Professional
S4A3A=Yes

S602A=No

S606A=No

S609A=Yes
27 Trim cover center console, walnut, front NUSSBAUM HELL 1 03/2009 51169170939

You will also need the idrive controller frame #25 on diagram Frame 1 51169170918
Appreciate 0