E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E91 328i 3 Stage Manifold Conversion + Active Performance Software Build w/Dyno

03-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #111
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph5000 View Post
All -

I just wanted to jump on here as this was my E91 328i wagon that Active was kind enough to improve upon! Viral and I spoke this morning so I'll just echo some of what he's has posted.

So far so good with the tune and manifold. I've had no codes or CEL's from the installation and yes, the power gains are real. The night the tune was finished I drove the car straight from Miami to Sebring for the 12 Hours of Sebring to stretch it's legs a bit. I noticed Sunday morning on the way back home that the car felt as though it had acclimated more so to the tune and new equipment as the engine feels more useable below 3,000 rpm and above 4,000 rpm the car feels noticably stronger.

At 4,000 rpm and above I think I felt the biggest difference. Whereas the 328i felt a bit anemic when you had your foot to the floor this pulls harder and longer making passing easier. As I told Viral - this definitely isn't a 335i however, the manifold with the Active stage 2 tune has made engine much more enjoyable and usable across the entire powerband. The only downside to my car is the fact that it's an automatic.

Specs of the car as I had it when it came down to Active:

2007 E91 328i w/ Automatic and 88,600 miles
BMW 330i (Euro spec 330i w/ DI) airbox with K&N cone filter
BMW Performance Exhaust
BMW Performance Strut Brace
OZ Alleggerita's running Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I'd highly recommend a professional installation for the manifold and have some spare hoses on hand. Active was able to recycle my old hoses as they were extremely careful when both removing and then putting in the new unit but these parts are prone to breaking as they age. Active did a great job on mine! I think most anyone who wants a bit more out of the 328i (the 335i turbos scared me) will like this mod as it is done essentially with all OEM parts sans the Active tune, definitely improved my enjoyment of the car so far!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about living with the tune, etc.

I read your article on BMWBlog and that's what first got me interested in this mod .. years later, do you still have said vehicle? How is it running now and have any problems occured since the tune?

Lastly, did you use the DISA valves included or did you source new flaps on a used manifold?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #112
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
buy a 335 if your looking for that.

getting a n52/n51 to put down 300rw is going to take lots and lots of coin.

shit, even 250rw would be really hard. cat-less header, 3 stg IM, aa tune, exhaust, euro intake, etc etc
I'm already half way there I just need to source MILVs but that'll be a job for next year
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #113
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
I read your article on BMWBlog and that's what first got me interested in this mod .. years later, do you still have said vehicle? How is it running now and have any problems occured since the tune?

Lastly, did you use the DISA valves included or did you source new flaps on a used manifold?
I sold that wagon to my friend who took it down to AA. He still has the car, and just passed 160k, car still runs strong.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #114
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
Quote:

I sold that wagon to my friend who took it down to AA. He still has the car, and just passed 160k, car still runs strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
Quote:

are new DISA flaps recommended on a used manifold? good to hear the car is going strong. I am sitting on 21k on the odo
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #115
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Your welcome buddy PM me or contact me directly once you have it installed.
Hey Viral! I have purchased a tune through AA and am doing this conversion soon. How would I go about getting/purchasing the retune for the 3IM
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #116
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
are new DISA flaps recommended on a used manifold? good to hear the car is going strong. I am sitting on 21k on the odo
The 3 stage unit came with old flaps, and still ok today
Appreciate 0